Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Renzsu

Sketch: Concept Car

Another painter practice, this time using an underlay of a front 3/4 view of the Ford Mondeo.

I didn't want to go for a typical sedan style configuration so I only used the guideline more or less for the wheels and did some variations on top.

I'm pretty happy with the result, I hope to do some more cars soon.

redcar.jpg

Guest Kunkler

This car is great Ren!!! I absolutely love it! Have eve done any motorcycles or trucks?

Guest Joey_91

its nice but the black area near the 'floor' is too much i guesss,

may i know what is the software u r using or is it by hand rendering??tnks

hope to learn more from u.

joey.

Guest Xriry

How did you get the red body to be so smooth? did you use the airbrush? ive been doing some painter stuff with a tablet lately, and i'm never satisfied with the gradiations that i get.

Thanks

well the red was indeed done mostly with airbrush. I use a big airbrush (200/300/400-ish pixels in size), and low opacity settings (20% at most). This way you can easily build up the airbrush to get the right effect you want. I like to correct things with a big soft eraser as well.

I do all the stuff on new layers so I can easily erase parts I don't need without affecting the rest of teh drawing.

Guest __Leo__

Nice sketch/render... great work.... do you have any other shots angles???

Leo

Guest yeddeync

Hi. I am new to this forum and also very new to design. In fact i am preparing a portfolio right now to apply to a school. But i what i wanted to know was if renzsu used a wacom and painter to do that car rendering. ?

Hi. I am new to this forum and also very new to design.  In fact i am preparing a portfolio right now to apply to a school.  But i what i wanted to know was if renzsu used a wacom and painter to do that car rendering. ?

Hi and welcome! Yeah I used painter and a tablet.

Guest yeddeync

Thanks. Okay...When i do pen drawings....I have a few questions:

1. Do i lay down light gray marker first? (because if i lay the marker down afterwards, it smudges the pen...

2. What colors and shades of markers should i have and what brand?

3. On another post in regards to Fabsman's work.....you guys talked a lot about perspective of the product. Well, I am working with a Beinfeng 360 sketchpad 9x12 inches. How big should i make the 2 perspectives of a product?

4. should i be using a technical pencil or a regular pencil for to do the underlining structure of a product? And how light/dark should the pencil be?

Guest Morteza Pourmohammadi

read this Core77 thrad about buying markers.

http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?t=1038

I have a reply like this:

"Zig Kurecolors!

good for rendering fast. good colors!

1$ one marker!

refilable

good smell ---> alchohl!

the nib is good shaped for several thickness lines."

Thanks. Okay...When i do pen drawings....I have a few questions:

1. Do i lay down light gray marker first? (because if i lay the marker down afterwards, it smudges the pen...

2. What colors and shades of markers should i have and what brand?

3. On another post in regards to Fabsman's work.....you guys talked a lot about perspective of the product. Well, I am working with a Beinfeng 360 sketchpad 9x12 inches. How big should i make the 2 perspectives of a product?

4. should i be using a technical pencil or a regular pencil for to do the underlining structure of a product? And how light/dark should the pencil be?

1. first pen, then light markers, then darker markers. finally you can use chalk for faint colours and some white-out and white pencil for highlights.

The smudging of fineliners because of markering is a well known problem, you can use Pilot Hi-Tec fineliners, they don't have this problem as much as others. Or go to a art store and test/try some fineliners, shopowners won't object if they know their stuff.

2. if you're starting out at you will hear what to get from your teachers, but I would get a 30% and 60% and a Black. With those you can do all the basic markering. If you want a very light one as well to draft before getting your fineliner out, get a 10%. You can use those for light sketching, the lines won't be noticed in final drawings. Brand? Doesn't really matter, Tria Letraset or Copic.. I prefer alcohol based markers like these because they are non-toxic. AD markers are great, but kinda dark and they are based on harmfull chemicals, so I wouldn't use those unless you're in a well ventilated space.

Don't worry about colours, but if you want some, make sure you get them in sets of 2 or 3 of the same tints, for example a light green and darker green. As long as the colours aren't really bright they are easy to mix with the grays.

3. Size depends on what you want to show.. I would do 1 or 2 perspective views per 9x12". Any smaller and you'll just end up messing with your lines and such..

Also, you can use marker paper, but it's expensive and the kind I use is thin.. I don't like it, I prefer to use just copy paper.. cheap and good enough for sketches. You won't feel like wasting money when you doodle on that.

4. Pencil.. hm, well if you really want to do underlying drawings like that first, I wouldn't use pencil (it smudges and mixes with the markers). Use a 10% grey instead. It's light enough so that it won't be visible in your final drawing.

Another technique would be to use a regular pencil (nothing fancy, can be grey or red or blue.. whatever you like) and just draw as if it would be a sketch. Then you flip over your paper and just trace the pencil which should be just about visible from the other side of your paper.

Just a tip: don't take any advice as a 'golden rule'. Experiment and don't be afraid to do things your way. I learned certain things from my teachers, but learned just as much from other people (concept artists and car designers).

Don't worry and doodle away. Post your stuff here and I'm sure people will be willing to help you out or post crits and comments.

Guest yeddeync

Man. Thank you so much. I will definitely go get some markers and that pen you mentioned to get started with some experimenting. I dont exactly have my own computer yet, but hopefully i will have one soon so that i can post my sketches. Thanks a lot for your advice.