Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lokilabs

Helmet Sketch

Guest newt @ MWE

the sketching is nice, i would knock back the background as its a little distracting and hard to focus on the object.

design wise, its a lttle scary.

newt

Guest EM Sobby 1
Hey thanks for all the replies. Any more comments would be greatly appreciated.

Really nice conceptualization! Some nice refinement can occur if you consider aerodynamics.

Guest EM Sobby 1

Really nice conceptualization! Some nice refinement can occur if you consider aerodynamics.

Guest lokilabs

I was thinking about changing the form some more on both concepts. Keeping the general approach on the sketch with the lense in the front and opening in the back. When I have the time I will post some more sketches. I guess I really didnt consider aerodynamics much considering its application but why not. Great feedback!

Guest under-dog

I think it is interesting. The textures and patterns are definately interesting.

However in all the iterations I see the form is somewhat vague. I think you spent mure time in the developement of textures and pattern breaks and less time in form. I think more time should be spent on the developement of the 3D form and the textures an patterns will fall into place.

Let me clarify as it really depens on what you are using it for.

If it is just a graphic, painting or initail concept it may be ok. But if you are looking to use it to direct the scope of the design for 3D purposes of some sort(virtual or realword) the form is a bit vague therefore highly subject to interpretion. I guess it depends to what level this was intended to drive the final product. As I mentioned from a texture, pattern and color stanpoint is is very well developed but from a form standpoint it is fairly vague.

Just MHO

Guest Siona

Nice design! Weird and freaky, yes, but I'm guessing that's what you were going for, and it still looks awesome.

Any chance of a view from the front???

Guest lokilabs

Underdog- yes these were done just to represent initial concepts and there most definately is some vagueness about them. I have done some other perspective drawings and I will transfer them into the forum when i add them digitally. This was mainly a quick styling sketch messing around with textures and breaks in the form.

Siona-Thanks for your comments I will post a front view when complete keep your eye out for it.

Guest Siona

Great sketches - this one's a lot more defined and a lot less vague :thumbsup: Also, it really stands out from the background.

how long do these take you to render?

Guest lokilabs
Great sketches - this one's a lot more defined and a lot less vague :thumbsup: Also, it really stands out from the background.

how long do these take you to render?

Renderings typically go pretty fast considering there still needs to be hours of refinement if I wanted to complete it. This one for instance started out as a blue pencil sketch which took maybe 40 minutes because I was doing thumnails. I then brought it in to sketchbook and started laying out some new lines over top and then adding the color and texture so all in all maybe about an hour and a half. Color and texture goes pretty quick but figuring out the form takes the most time.

Guest Lilith

wonderful ! a kind of design i really appreciate :) the only thing i found the hardest to read is the reflection on the orage component, the reflected shape is too intense i think and takes my attention from the overall design.

both great designs, although i prefet the first concept, its a bit more sick and impressive :)

Guest lokilabs
wonderful ! a kind of design i really appreciate :) the only thing i found the hardest to read is the reflection on the orage component, the reflected shape is too intense i think and takes my attention from the overall design.

both great designs, although i prefet the first concept, its a bit more sick and impressive :)

Thanks Lilith, your critiques are always nice to hear! Your right about the reflections, I was trying to do the shiny bit and got allot out of hand. Maybe one thing I should do is another rendition of the first one. I like the goggle concept so maybe it would be cool to push that a little further and add a couple of more views when I get time.

Guest Siona

Goggles are good (it was hard to tell that's what they were on the 2D pic). Kind of puts me in mind of Dr Horrible or the Repo Man lol. (seriously, look them up)