Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ryan McGinley

Ryan Mcginley Portfolio

Guest Ryan McGinley

My coroflot page is available at:

http://www.coroflot.com/ryan_mcg

I've laid out my final year project in longer strips, it doesnt show the entire years work. But the more industrial design elements have been shown.

Criticism is welcome from all.

Ryan.

Guest Ryan McGinley

Hi guys,

Any feedback or crit would be great, id like to refine the design if possible before some interviews this month.

Anything at all. :)

Looks like you have quite an extensive portfolio for a student. But watch out that you should present your best work and avoid showing big quality difference. I suggest you to clean up the dark parts of some scans.

Good job on presenting 'Sustainable Beijing Transport' with good descriptions of process and development!

Guest thegwen

i quickly looked through it. first of all a lot of folders for me to look through... but that is my perferences... some will go through your work fast or slow... so just so the most kick ass stuff at the front of your portfolio and leave the rest out or in the background.

i went through the bike project.... the renders needs improvements, not the modeling, just the rendering, get an edge for lighting and angle shots. what can help is to invest in a good camera and photograph products like a bike from all angles and see how the picture is frame. I think designers will get ten times better in rendering if they were think like a professional photographer in terms of angle shots and lighting. or better yet find photographer friends and get some tips.

also there were too much space in your rendering shots. I wish the bikes were zoomed in closer.

Over all you have a well develop process of your thought process. That is a value to have in the long run, but for the short run of getting your foot into the door... sketches and renderings... or the ability to quickly learn them. You have good sketches but i would clean them up in photoshop they are too dark and not enough contrast.

Branding can be improved. Basically who you are and what you offer. renderings is a branding, how you style your lighting and screen shots is a branding element and when firms hire they wish to see that you think about branding for their own future investment for PR.

Guest Siona

There's an impressive variety of products here - I like the way you've laid out each page - it makes it clear straight away what I'm looking at and it's not too cluttered. One thing I would say - the perspective of your final year bench in the 'in-situ' photos looks a bit off. It looks as though the bench is floating!

Guest Ryan McGinley
There's an impressive variety of products here - I like the way you've laid out each page - it makes it clear straight away what I'm looking at and it's not too cluttered. One thing I would say - the perspective of your final year bench in the 'in-situ' photos looks a bit off. It looks as though the bench is floating!

Hi Siona,

Thanks for your comments :thumbsup: , I know what you mean about the bench rendering. That was my first attempt at using Photoshop back last year. I should probably revisit that project along with the other old ones to clean them up and definately re-do that render!

Guest Ryan McGinley

I've just updated it with an air purifyer concept that I completed last year. This project went for mass manufacture in China. Tell me what you think please...

http://www.coroflot.com/ryan_mcg

Available on my Coroflot link.

Guest Tim Winwood

Realli nice layout etc but you spelt portfolio wrong on the first page!!!!

Guest Ryan McGinley
Realli nice layout etc but you spelt portfolio wrong on the first page!!!!

haha oh dear, i made that 'folio' folder last year... i'll get it fixed. Thanks for bringing that up.

Any other feedback on the designs, renders, layouts, way i should be presenting would be great.

Thanks.