Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rizki.t

Clam Bathroom Floor Strainer

Guest rizki.t

This was my project in semester 6. Each student were tasked to choose a topic or an issue to be solved. My issue was about clogging in bathroom floor grate caused by accumulated gunk in the floor grate. Gunk such as hairs, plastic, soap pieces, etc got stuck in the floor grate causing inconvenience, for instance, sluggish water flow, puddles and flood, discoloration,etc. people get disgusted and irritated by those inconvenience. Based on my research, people prefer to buy add on products rather than changing their whole set of bathroom floor grate to solve the issue. The product that i have developed is a strainer for the grate. The concept refers to clam fish which has gill to filter the water, so does CLAM.It has filter or strainer to filter the water. CLAM is equipped by built in cleaner for sweeping the accumulated gunk. Nowadays, some people open up their bathroom floor grate to solve the issue, whereas it causes another issue such as clogged drain, and some animal like mouse, cockroach, frog,etc easily get in to the the bathroom through the grate. Those problems are happening now, thus i come out with the solution that could be existed now.

post-27532-1243344499.jpg

post-27532-1243344511.jpg

post-27532-1243344527.jpg

post-27532-1243344541.jpg

post-27532-1243344639.jpg

post-27532-1243344737.jpg

post-27532-1243344894.jpg

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

my one thought (just being a cynic) is that the drain will still get clogged, just at adifferent spot. With that said, it does totally make sense to locate the clog point closer to the floor rather than down the pipe, as this product might. my other criticism is that it sits above the floor and creates a tripping or toe stubbing hazard.

I installed a drain cover into my mud room that works really well and addresses the problems i had noted. More or less its a two piece shallow collander design. The one piece is slightly concave and mounts flush to the floor, the second nests and locks inside. They top piece has a fine screen pattern similar to a collander. When it gets clogged, you twist it to unlock it and empty it into the compost.

im a little confused about what is meant by "sweeper will sweep down all the accumulated gunk iin the strainer when we push down the button". Do you have a section view showing what you mean by this?

being a cynic again, it seems as though this is an overcomplicated product for a simple solution.

newt

Guest rizki.t

hey newt,

Thank You for the comment.I appreciate that. Well, you are right. The clog point will be up on the floor, so it will be easier for people to clean up the gunk, especially this product is equipped by a cleaner which is the sweeper. Actually the problem is not just about clog, for instances, discoloration and unhygienic. Thus, this product has a cap/shell to cover up all those disgusting things. According to the research that i have done, most of the grates are located at the corner of the bathroom so it means that stubbing and tripping hazard can be avoided.about the sweeper. it is something like spokes filling every gaps in the strainer. so whenever the gunk got stuck and accumulated in the strainers gaps, we just need to push the button and the sweeper will sweep down all the gunk in the gaps of the strainer to clean it up. (i hope you can understand what i mean, and i will upload the section view as well, just to make it clear).

For the product that you installed in your mud room, i'm interested with that. would you like to give me more info about that thing?

Your comments means a lot to me!

Thank You

cheers!

Guest under-dog
hey

my one thought (just being a cynic) is that the drain will still get clogged, just at adifferent spot. With that said, it does totally make sense to locate the clog point closer to the floor rather than down the pipe, as this product might. my other criticism is that it sits above the floor and creates a tripping or toe stubbing hazard.

I installed a drain cover into my mud room that works really well and addresses the problems i had noted. More or less its a two piece shallow collander design. The one piece is slightly concave and mounts flush to the floor, the second nests and locks inside. They top piece has a fine screen pattern similar to a collander. When it gets clogged, you twist it to unlock it and empty it into the compost.

im a little confused about what is meant by "sweeper will sweep down all the accumulated gunk iin the strainer when we push down the button". Do you have a section view showing what you mean by this?

being a cynic again, it seems as though this is an overcomplicated product for a simple solution.

newt

Or worse a get your toe stuck under there and break it when trying to walk before you realize hazard.

Guest newt @ MWE

I'll try to remember what company made it. If I can find any information on it, Ill send it your way rizki.

I think I get the idea behind the sweeper.

newt

Guest John Welden

I don't think you can have a drain stick up beyond the floor like that. You're trying to solve one problem, but you're creating an even worse one by having the drain stick up out of the floor.

Guest Nardo
I don't think you can have a drain stick up beyond the floor like that. You're trying to solve one problem, but you're creating an even worse one by having the drain stick up out of the floor.

I agree with this comment, first and foremost we should think of the user interaction with this product. It seems like it would be annoying to step around the drain (they are more than likely in the middle of the shower) with water and what not in your eyes. I would explore an ideal situation first, then take away from the idea if it is not possible (or creatively brainstorm how i could be possible)