Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RachaelO

What Is Beauty And What Makes Something Beautiful?

Guest RachaelO

I'm doing a topic on Aesthetics for a uni project and I would like to have people's thoughts on the following..

I would like to know what people think beauty is and how they can say something is beautiful or not??

Is beauty in the eye of the beholder or does it have to pass a certain test to become beautiful?

I'm doing a topic on Aesthetics for a uni project and I would like to have people's thoughts on the following..

I would like to know what people think beauty is and how they can say something is beautiful or not??

Is beauty in the eye of the beholder or does it have to pass a certain test to become beautiful?

Hello at first.

So you „would like to have“ and you „would like to know“ (joke on: thats defined you as a female a male can live without „like to know“ joke off)

The first question „what people think beauty is“ there is the answer already inside. People don’t think for that it is or, it is not beauty and if you ask why they cant say why.

Second question „how they can say something is beautiful“ easy answer they use just their mouth (don't suspect there is any deeper toughs or explanation in the background if someone say „thats beautiful“)

Now the third question and I think the core of what you ask for.

What the hell make people to say or feel „thats beautiful“ Well there i think you should look first at the old greeks they were able to define some basic rules what makes the people say „wow beautiful“ i think the problem is today we are not able to defined this point for our time in fact it is more difficult today caused by many points as the society and the „must have“ factor and Branding so the information „wow thats beautiful“ is sometimes meaning less (Vertu cellphones a good example fort hat in my eyes) So if you ask fort the „formula of beauty“ there is no answer it is beside from the basics in the eyes of each individual people and even the basics are sometimes not valid.

For me personal I think there is something deep inside the human nature what make them feel somethings is beautiful and I think it is the balance what makes it like the dynamic design of a Ferrari and the color red. The eyes can rest on it its just color and shape. How to create the balance? By using less as possible components if there only two it is the best way for a balance as maybe shape and color if there one more maybe texture it get more difficult or impossible to find the balance. So finally as short answer I will say it is the Balance what caused „wow“ or „beautiful“.

Thats just my toughs about it nothing more.

BR

Peter

Guest RachaelO

Hi, thank you for your response.

So you believe that simpler designs are perceived as more beautiful as they are easier to understand?

and beauty to you is the balance between form and colour?

Rachael

Hi, thank you for your response.

So you believe that simpler designs are perceived as more beautiful as they are easier to understand?

and beauty to you is the balance between form and colour?

Rachael

Hi

Question 1. No

Question 2. No

you should read it again

BR

Peter

All depends on what you are looking for. Beauty is what attracts your customer. That is different for every customer segment.

Guest RachaelO

I have found it difficult to understand your English!

You have said it is primarily difficult to establish what beauty is as there is no clear definition and there are a lot of factors to consider in society.

You have also stated that the meaning of 'beautiful' is sometimes meaning less which is interesting to me.

Then your last point you made was about human nature letting people feel something is beautiful and the colour and shape which makes an object beautiful.. so this is why I've asked you to confirm you point.

You have also said you believe less components makes it easier to find the balance betwen the shape and the colour and that if there are more colours and shapes the design becomes complex and harder to find the 'balance' which would make something less beautiful.

Is this correct? If not I'm sorry I do not understand your points.

Rachael

Guest sachin

Context can be a driving factor for something being beautiful. I could see a baroque chair in a traditional french palace as being beautiful. However, if you were to take that same chair and put it within a Frank Lloyd Wright home, then it would be ugly. Cultural influences and trends can define what is beautiful as well. Certain cultures may like things highly decorated, whereas other cultures tend to prefer things to be pure and simple.

One thing that will always remain consistent would be the laws of proportion. Balanced proportion and symmetry can be seen in many beautiful things in nature. Such examples might be patterns seen in flowers or even the lean proportions of a race horse.

In the end, I do believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll say aesthetics or beauty in product is based on:

- Principles of design. A chair designed by Starck looks good because it looks balance and proportional.

- Association or resemblance of something beautiful. The meaning of the design cues. Shiny translucent plastic looks good on product because it is associated with diamonds and crystals.

Guest Bj.R

Hello,

I have to say I agree with sachin. I think beauty is individual, and depending on the cultural environment, gender, time frame, and a lot more conditions.

I just finished an essay on the how aesthetics are perceived throughout the history of design and how products (or art) can be made beautiful. In the end, there is no correct answer on the question, since the perceived value of beauty is depending on many things. However, as human beings, we can perceive something beautiful on a visceral level, like the very first reaction while seeing a product. For example, this could be the balance Peter is talking about. But the perceived beauty is not just dependent on the visceral level. It also depends on your cultural and social environment, and previous experience with things.

I can't really explain it better than I did now in this short piece, but try to ask yourself this question: Assuming that every designer tries to make things beautiful, why doesn't every product look the same?

/Bart

Guest Taro

the basic of beauty is proportion, then color, so on so on.

The reason why I believe proportion is the most important is that our brain and eyes automatically tell us if something looks correct or not. Just like when we are looking at a sketch, it doesn't require much skill to say something is out of proportion.

If proportion is good, then its the color, the sound, the lighting, so on so on.

example, a nicely built man that is pale white would not make people think he is beautiful, but if we give him a little tan, put him under the sun, then put on some background music... the scene becomes 'beautiful'

Guest Bj.R
the basic of beauty is proportion, then color, so on so on.

The reason why I believe proportion is the most important is that our brain and eyes automatically tell us if something looks correct or not. Just like when we are looking at a sketch, it doesn't require much skill to say something is out of proportion.

If proportion is good, then its the color, the sound, the lighting, so on so on.

example, a nicely built man that is pale white would not make people think he is beautiful, but if we give him a little tan, put him under the sun, then put on some background music... the scene becomes 'beautiful'

Hi Taro, you have an interesting opinion, but can you explain what exactly do you mean with proportion here. Is it the relation between the size of components or major form elements within a product? If so, do you think there is a relation between the balance there and the beauty of a product?

/Bart

Guest nicanor

my short answer: 1.615

A more detailed answer can be a multi-book long thesis paper, different things to different people to different context