Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lokilabs

Cintiq 12wx?

Guest Bowl of Soup

I chose to buy an HP tablet with Wacom tech, best thing I ever did. I used to have non-LCD wacom tablet.

Guest Eddie12
I chose to buy an HP tablet with Wacom tech, best thing I ever did. I used to have non-LCD wacom tablet.

I bought an ancient Fujitsu Stylistic 12" tablet pc (slate) on eBay for £200. Bargain! Although it's around 4 years old with a pretty measly processor (1.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM) it works great with sketchbook pro and photoshop cs3 (just about). The screen doesn't have great contrast and the colours are a bit washed out but I can do adjustments on my main computer. The great thing about it is its Wacom PENabled (pressure sensitivity), its lightweight, has a good battery life (about 4hrs) and its a slate (so I imagine its like a bulkier Cintiq).

I can forgive the crappy screen (although its surprisingly good in outside conditions) because it didn't cost alot and (unlike the Cintiq) its a full pc, so therefore a bona fide digital sketchbook.

I bought it because I was wasting too much time scanning my line art to render with a wacom bamboo (and I could never really get used to the 'drawing without looking' thing).

Fujitsu are still making the Stylistic line of slate tablets (I think) and they newer ones have some great specs. However, you won't get as much pressure sensitivity as a wacom tablet or Cintiq, but it hasn't bothered me so far.

Guest lokilabs

Eddie can you post some of your sketches so I can check them out or even an image of your screen with sketchbook loaded?

Guest Eddie12
Eddie can you post some of your sketches so I can check them out or even an image of your screen with sketchbook loaded?

Lokilabs,

Here's one, my sketching skills aren't great and the definitely need improvement ...

(Oh and I checked out the prices for prices the new ones and they're massively expensive... between 2 and 3 thousand dollars!!! They're probably quite decent but not worth THAT much!)

post-18108-1256776182.jpg

post-18108-1256777011.jpg

Guest Eddie12
Hi eddy,

Is your tablet the same as these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wacom-RM-RTAB912-T01...=item518f702759

There are loads floating around ebay for about 200 quid. I'm really tempted to get one to run sketchbook pro. Are they the same specs as yours?

Do you know if they work better with waccom intuos pens?

Cheers

Hey! Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, that's what I'm barking on about. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wacom-RM-RTAB912-T01...=item518f702759

You can only use the pens that come with the pc (sometimes without an eraser).

Check what kind of screen you're getting with the tablet (I was initially happy with mine but now I wish it was an iPad). Avoid reflective screens and go with backlit (unless you'll be mostly working outdoors).

Most of the slate tablets on eBay run 2005 xp tablet edition, you'll get more bang for your buck installing windows 7. Its actually really great for tablets!

The most important bit of advice I can give is: check what kinda screen you'll be getting (MAKE SURE ITS WACOM PENABLED, otherwise there's no point!!!) and do your research (most likely you don't want a reflective screen [screen lit from the sides rather than from behind].

Goodluck!

Guest 3dmodeller

I use a cintiq 12, coupled with a 21" monitor. I have no issues with colour or performance. The cintiq, as Long as you calibrate and set it ip correctly is fine. Sketch book pro 10 works fantastically with it no lag with the pen and sketching you, will need a decent processor on your pc and a decent amount of ram. I've got mine running off a 64 bit 8 gig dell.

I also run the wacom through photoshop cs4, again it is great here, the only issue I would say is that Photoshop is a little slower and when using the rotate canvas command, there is a slight performance issue. I believe that is caused by the way Photoshop cs4 is written.

Every designer should have a wacom, it is brilliant and makes our job so much easier.

I'm using a 5 year old Toshiba satellite r20 tablet pc and honestly it has been the best purchase of my life!

I currently run alias sketchbook pro 2010, Adobe photohop cs3, and soldiworks 2009 on it. I try not to use it for solidworks that much though as it can be rather slow, but that's what i have a dedicated workstation for.

clearly the best part about it is the 14.1" screen and its portability. I take this back and forth to work everyday!