Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lokilabs

Cintiq 12wx?

Guest lokilabs

I am currently working as a product designer and use a cintiq 21ux at work. Unfortunately they are too expensive for me to purchase to use at home. I love the interface and how it actually feels similar to using paper minus the tactile. I went out and bout an intuous and hated it immediately because of the dicsonnect with your hand and the screen. It just wasnt intuitive enough. So my question is should I shell out 900 bones for the 12 even though the resolution is lower and the screen is smaller? Does anyone have any other solutions that would work well and still give me the hand to monitor feel without breaking the bank?

Guest Grant Howarth

I'm just about to buy one of these myself. I've read about 100 reviews and haven't read a single bad review yet. It's a lot of money to shell out for personal use maybe but if you use it often it's totally justifiable. what else are you thinking of buying with the money? Just think of it in invesment terms. Just a heads up: if you want it cheaper and don't care too much for warrantys (and put faith in humanity) i've seen ones shifting for £700 on ebay "brand new" and "still in the box". I should be getting mine within the month tho so i'll update you then!!!

Guest lokilabs
I'm just about to buy one of these myself. I've read about 100 reviews and haven't read a single bad review yet. It's a lot of money to shell out for personal use maybe but if you use it often it's totally justifiable. what else are you thinking of buying with the money? Just think of it in invesment terms. Just a heads up: if you want it cheaper and don't care too much for warrantys (and put faith in humanity) i've seen ones shifting for £700 on ebay "brand new" and "still in the box". I should be getting mine within the month tho so i'll update you then!!!

Thanks Grant for your reply. I can definately justify its use as it may assist me in doing more freelance work. Definately let me know what you think of the unit when you finally get it.

Guest MBW17

i have an intuos, but the guys on idsketching.com said they use those, and they really like them

If you use sketchbook 2010, it should be as bad since you can use a key command to rotate the screen. Before you could do that, it was definitely torture.

Guest lokilabs

Anyone else have anything to say about the 12ux? I just cant go back to a intuous like device after having used paer all my life and the 21ux. No matter what programs are used. I currently run autodesk alias studio, photoshop, illustrator, painter, corel, sketchbook 2010 and a few other programs.

Guest w i l l

I've read loads of bad reviews..... mainly about the pen jittering.

Guest funwithapencil

I have the 12wx and have not noticed any jittering. ive read that this happens really close to the edge of the screen and I dont work that close to the edge. If i put it there intentionally I cant reproduce this jittering so im wondering if there is some sort of display problem with some setups since it acts as a second monitor and doesnt effect everyone.

I purchased the 12 because 12 inchs is more then enough work space for me at home. In terms of portability it fails in all areas. The 12 ships with a seperate converter box not shown that the larger screen does not use. so portability kinda gets thrown out the window. a standard tablet with just a usb port like the medium sized intuos 4 would kill it on portability.

if you dont plan to move it to different work areas to much and 12 inches is enough workspace that its great imho. I like it alot and would not go back to a standard tablet after using it.

-my little work area

121y.jpg

Guest lokilabs
I have the 12wx and have not noticed any jittering. ive read that this happens really close to the edge of the screen and I dont work that close to the edge. If i put it there intentionally I cant reproduce this jittering so im wondering if there is some sort of display problem with some setups since it acts as a second monitor and doesnt effect everyone.

I purchased the 12 because 12 inchs is more then enough work space for me at home. In terms of portability it fails in all areas. The 12 ships with a seperate converter box not shown that the larger screen does not use. so portability kinda gets thrown out the window. a standard tablet with just a usb port like the medium sized intuos 4 would kill it on portability.

if you dont plan to move it to different work areas to much and 12 inches is enough workspace that its great imho. I like it alot and would not go back to a standard tablet after using it.

-my little work area

121y.jpg

Thanks for your great reply. Do you have any issues with the resolution and what type of work do you do with the cintiq?

Guest funwithapencil

(lokilabs) Thanks for your great reply. Do you have any issues with the resolution and what type of work do you do with the cintiq?

i dont have any resolution issues however the brightness on it is really poor. its hard to tell from the picture but looking at it and a regular monitor is like night and day its I think its called NIT? is so low. There is a brightness adjustment buried in advanced settings but it still doesnt correct it and make it look like a regular monitor.

its usable but it takes some getting used too and is really dissapointing when you first boot it up and see it. it just kinda sucks to turn it on for the first time and the monitor already looks like its dying.

Sometimes I wonder if the larger is better.

a gripe I have right now is the larger cintiq has the cord come out the center of the back on a nice stand so you can spin it with ease. The 12 inch comes off the top corner and doesnt have a spinning stand. it does have a dimple when you lay it flat to spin it but you still fight with the cord the whole time because its on the corner instead of the center.

if I had more money I would get the larger. even if it is bulkier.

I have a mental illness and spend alot of time in and out of hospitals. plus medications destroy my ability to focus. So basically I am just a beginner and use it for figure study and interested also in industrial design. Most of this is for my own interest and is not to find a job or do it for a living.

its hard to explain but when I draw I feel "better". even if the resulting image is not that good.

best regards-

Guest lokilabs
I have a mental illness and spend alot of time in and out of hospitals. plus medications destroy my ability to focus. So basically I am just a beginner and use it for figure study and interested also in industrial design. Most of this is for my own interest and is not to find a job or do it for a living.

its hard to explain but when I draw I feel "better". even if the resulting image is not that good.

best regards-

Funwithapencil-

Your an inspiration to us all! With me I find sketching very theraputic. I am immediately transported to a place of both peace and mind warping concept development. When I can sit, throw down lines and see something come out of it I thank God for that gift. Embrace it even if it is just for fun.

In regards to the screen brightness- even the large 21 has an issue with that. I use one at work and am always flored by the disparity between my Dell and Cintiq. Se la vi. It is still worth it being able to draw right on the screen. Do you use paper at all. I find doing concept sketching on paper then transfering them to digital is great fun. Do you have any examples of the work you have done on the 12?

Guest MacPhail

In regards to the screen brightness- even the large 21 has an issue with that. I use one at work and am always flored by the disparity between my Dell and Cintiq. Se la vi. It is still worth it being able to draw right on the screen. Do you use paper at all. I find doing concept sketching on paper then transfering them to digital is great fun. Do you have any examples of the work you have done on the 12?

>> I picked up the 12 for space, portability and ease of use. Pretty much I find it's about the size of an 8x11 piece of paper though I tend to draw mostly in the center of it. It's a little tougher to get your shoulder into your work so I find my wrist gets a bit sore after working on it 8-10 hours a day. The cables really are the buzz kill to the whole experience. Even though it appears very light and portable in their imagery on their website, there is a huge umbilical system that you have to tote around with you. Overall, I love the thing. I can toss it in my lap and sketch for hours. I just wish the screen was a 15 inch.

As for the jittering on the edge of the screen, I find it only effects scrolling up and down. And well...you have 2 slide bars that will do that for you.

I am glad I spent the money it it. It's a great tool to use.

Guest ODDNAME

I used to own a cintiq, pretty fun little thingie, but didnt really see the need for a extra monitor.

Got myself a intuos4 large now, wouldnt trade it for a cintiq 12wx. (And im not cheap or alike, I just didnt the see use of it when my main monitor is much better)

Guest bdesigns

I use to have a 12WX...

Problems i found:

1. colour syncing isnt that good. (eg. red becomes way more darker.)

2. Although it is "portable" there are WAY too many wires that make it very annoying if say you were going to take it around with u. However, if your just gonna leave it plugged in, then this isnt a problem.

3. Size does kinda matter, it does get a bit small and soon youll find your eyes kinda hurting.

4. Resale value is bad.... very bad.. i sold it within a year and lost about $600.

After that, i bought the 21UX and loved it. Even if you need to bring it with you, its pretty much just your monitor, so it isnt too bad.

Now i jump between 21UX and intuous 3 :P

Hoped it helped. I bought my 21UX on ebay for $2500 AUD :)

-b

I used a 21x for over a year, at work. At home, I used a 15x, which was a fantastic size, but lacked the buttons on the side. Ultimately, I'd have rather had the 15x WITH buttons, but when it got stolen, I replaced it with a 12x, PURELY because the buttons are fantastic. ;)