Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest durdleerdle

Biomimicry

Guest durdleerdle

I am writing an essay on Biomimicry while I find it fascinating; I have to question the reasons for its current dominance.

It was Janine Benyus who named the process of being inspired by nature in 2003. But what I question is; haven't we been inspired by nature since the dawn of time? So why now do we need to give it a title?

Examples of inspiration of nature in history are:

• The Art Nouveau period was ‘inspired’ by the details of delicate plants and flowers

• Cats eyes was inspired by the reflection ability of cats and other mammals eyes

• Solar cells are inspired by the photosynthesis process of plants

• Now we are using robotics inspired by the motion of insects and animal life see Robert full’s talk

So what do you think do you agree with this statement? Should it be titled? Do you know of any examples that contradicte with Benyus or agree?

You opinion is greatly appreciated for my essay topic.

Regards.

Emily.

Guest mattholmes
I am writing an essay on Biomimicry while I find it fascinating; I have to question the reasons for its current dominance.

It was Janine Benyus who named the process of being inspired by nature in 2003. But what I question is; haven't we been inspired by nature since the dawn of time? So why now do we need to give it a title?

• The Art Nouveau period was ‘inspired’ by the details of delicate plants and flowers

• Cats eyes was inspired by the reflection ability of cats and other mammals eyes

• Now we are using robotics inspired by the motion of insects and animal life see Robert full’s talk

So what do you think do you agree with this statement? Should it be titled? Do you know of any examples that contradicte with Benyus or agree?

Regards.

Emily.

I've never heard of Biomimicry, but by the sound of what your describing, i'd have to agree with you. There shouldnt have to be a name for everything! And naming things based on nature means that we can relate to them better. I can't think of any examples presently, but there really shouldnt have to be a name for "inspiration of nature", just name each individual object/revolution as it is designed, theres no need to categorize them.

Hope this helps

Guest alice.k

Regards.

Emily.

I agree with this statement as there is proof everywhere in simple modern day things such as velcro which was inspired by the way the hooks on burrs stuck to animal fur or Adhesion without glue inspired by geckos.

Guest Spongebob

Yes we have always been inspired by nature which should could as no great suprise as it is so diverse but maybe we needed someone to come along and actually give that process a label. Now I am no expert on Biomimicry but maybe by giving it an all encompasing name you are bringing it to peoples attention more than before? I think a lot of Janine's work involves actually getting the idea out there and trying to get the designers to pay more attention. Many times people have given an old idea a new name to get that idea out there. It's called marketing darling :thumbsup:

Guest SASA

check it :

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/129/tr...ent-design.html

and :

In this inspiring talk about recent developments in biomimicry, Janine Benyus provides heartening examples of ways in which nature is already influencing the products and systems we build.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/janine_..._s_designs.html

and

http://moomeen.blogspot.com/2008/07/biomim...ation-from.html

:P

Saleh

Regards.

Emily.

Guest Giorgio789

Regards.

Emily.

Hey Emily, love the subject, but not sure what you mean by "dominance" - I don't see a problem with the biomimicry lable at all, sure we've been inspired by God's creation since the dawn of time, but this term just identifies this field clearer - it's a good thing the way I see it

Guest csven

I'd venture there's a distinction between crafting objects whose appearance is inspired and engineering objects whose functional basis is derived from Nature's solution.

Art Nouveau styling isn't actually biomimicry. And solar cells are not necessarily mimic'ing the photosynthesis process; it's possible to arrive at the same general outcome without using the same solution as Nature (i.e. solar cells aren't using the same chemical process as plantlife).

While looking to Nature for solutions to problems isn't new, I'd suggest that for quite some time scientists/engineers ignored the solutions in front of them... and still do. The reason it's gaining popularity seems to be that engineers are increasingly able to study naturally occurring systems on their terms. They don't take it on faith - the way an industrial designer might - that Nature has arrived at the best solution to a problem. We still don't fly using flapping wings, for example (though some day, when our understanding, our mathematics, and our ability to construct machines which accurately mimic flying animals, we may).

Giving it a name now is no different than giving photosynthesis a name in 1893, centuries after it had first been discovered. From a modern scientific and engineering perspective, it's gaining relevance.

Guest alice.k

Regards.

Emily.

John using Alice k login as I'm not a member of this forum.

Presumably naturemimic was a bit cumbersome and naturalistic, naturism etc have been used, so a new word was deemed necessary. Bio always sounds funky as in bionic. Biomimicary is open to interpretation as you point out. It could be copying images (art) or it could be function and form (cats eyes). Humans have certainly been copying nature since the beginning, so I feel that a snazzy new name is actually rebranding of a very old idea. So what, it worked for Marks and Spencers or should I say M&S. If it gets people to have a fresh look at nature for ideas and inspiration then I'm all for a bit of biomimicary. Ultimately nature and ourselves are all bound by the rules of "nature".

Guest alice.k

Regards.

Emily.

I understand Biomimicry, from a biological point of view, to be when one creature mimics the colouration, behaviours or physical characteristics for it's own benefit in some way. It is a bit of a lie really. In the case of hover flies for instance, they are often striped black and yellow to mimic the colours of wasps who sting and warm other creatures to keep away. Since hoverflies are harmless they have only adopted the warning system for their own benefit. This is also the case of two species of snakes. One is black with thick red stipes outlined by thinner yellow ones, this is the coral snake one of the most poisonous in the world, another species living nearby is black with the same colours but in a slightly different order, the yellow stirpes are thick and the red thin. Hard to tell at a distance and would you take the chance?

Anyway, you seem to suggest that you are solving needs by taking solutions from nature rather than just part of the solution. A better name would be natural design or natural solutions really, although if you look at anything invented by humans you can always find it has been already created organically through nature (computers and synapses for nervours systems work in a similar way)

To avoid confusion with biological fields of working a differnt name should be used, perhaps biodesign, or bioinspired design would be clearer to everyone.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

I think we've been learning from other things since we existed. If there has to be a first biomimicking, it would be humans learning to hunt from other animals. I guess you could give the credit to Benyus for making up a name, but that's nothing too important...

Guest V.Petch

Regards.

Emily.

I at first questioned the dominance of biomimicry but after reflecting, I realised that biomimicry has been prolific throughout history and is indeed dominant within all forms of technology and research and design.

There has also been the "recent" (not so recent but media portrays these developments so there is more awareness of these advancements) push for creating human like robots and androids e.g. ASIMO and surely this comes under the heading biomimicry as well.

The reason biomimicry appears so much more dominant in recent times, is due to an awareness of nature's effect on technology. As it is so beneficial to the evolution of man-kind e.g. flippers for deep sea diving or camouflage when hunting to blend in with your surroundings, society wants to acknowledge this process. Society does push for "pigeon-holing" with a 'need' to define and tag everything. Yes, Benyus did "define" the term but she didn't invent it's existance.

Yes, the naming of the process is beneficial for one to understand the concept of biomimicry but we have been inspired by nature since the dawn of time, it's just that it's slowly dawned on us how influencial nature can be (e.g. not defined till 2003). It's current dominance can also be explained by media coverage.

I hope this helps, it is a very interesting subject! x (I'm sorry for the style of writing, you can tell i'm writing my dissertation)

Guest Siona

Maybe there should be a word for designs not inspired by nature, because that's probably the minority. That said, I don't see any harm in giving it a name, it's natural to be inspired by what's around us - the awesomeness of evolution, and we'll do it whether there's a word for it or not.

Guest richoisarockgod

Biomimicry does actually have a root definition of coming from Latin, as "Bios" means life and Mimicry coming from to imitate. Benyus has been a pioneer for the whole term and shouldn't just be labelled as the "person who just came up with the name for it."

We will always most probably look towards nature for some inspiration, there are a vast amount of examples out there to look at. The Shinkansen Train Line used owls in the development of their train line. Golf Balls, use the same principle as shark skin to cut through the air. Cars are now adopting shark skin "suits" so that they can cut through the air easier when moving around.

These all ultimately will help us out in the day to day quest of good design, and I would like to hear from someone who thinks that Biomimicry cannot be considered to be a constituent of good design.