Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NelsonDesign

Need Some Help

Guest NelsonDesign
Your cars have a tendency to "lean" backwards. The mercedes kinda looks like it's bending (either at the left hand side of the sketch, or the side of the car), although the original design of the car was a big curve.

Drawthrough the vehicle more. choose a vanishing point somewhere and try to get an idea of the angle of the perspective lines would be. Your wheelbase seems to be fine but the body of the car is just slightly off.

I would say lineweight is good, although I would have emphasized the shoulder of the car more, but that's just me.

Thanks man, good things to take into account. =)

I will work on those things, and believe me, I've noticed my cars lean backward too, just need more practice to correct it

Guest NelsonDesign

New Render on the "Apollo Aruba"

Comments and critique always good =)

post-30452-1246594339.jpg

Guest Gringoire

First of all I want to ask the moderators of this forum a question... What's with the flood control... ? Is it my fault that my brains are so quick... besides if you're in a rush then this is a big obstacle in your way... Now let's get to our business... Ooook... so... Some improvements here and some improvements there but try to shorten the length of the car... Here a test... you heard of those Fiat 500... sketch me one... perhaps... with you're "reflex" because it's on every single sketch you will make a lets say ... a Fiat 500 with the length of a 7 series BMW... ok just kidding but try to sketch a small short car... try something you don't like... it'll help you... and when you're done... please look carefully at the sketch before posting it... I don't care how much waste you make but you should post only the best of what you've got... as for the rest... don't worry practice is needed... Thank you!

Guest NelsonDesign

Hey thanks, I'll do that and post up a Fiat ( I do actually like them by the way lol)

Alfa Romeo Spider- This actually has fairly close wheelbase

post-30452-1249013929.jpg

Guest NelsonDesign

It didn't come out very well, I think I should have overlayed the pen over the pencil instead of directly above, you know how those Bic pens can be :)

post-30452-1249070307.jpg

Guest Gringoire

Nice but watch out for that roof... instead making an arch try to make it look more sharp... The details are looking good but you need a little more to learn about perspective... To understand what I mean about the roof look at some old cars .... they are less round and therefore you can understand better this perspective issue... that much for the moment... Good work!

Guest NelsonDesign
Nice but watch out for that roof... instead making an arch try to make it look more sharp... The details are looking good but you need a little more to learn about perspective... To understand what I mean about the roof look at some old cars .... they are less round and therefore you can understand better this perspective issue... that much for the moment... Good work!

Great! Thanks, I'm understanding your "roof rule".

These aren't that great, and they where drawn before I read what you just said but please, feel free to comment on these

post-30452-1249682003.jpg

post-30452-1249682013.jpg

Use some construction lines and get your shapes in perspective!!

Learn to draw ellipses in perspective. Bad wheels can ruin an otherwise OK drawing.

Don't try to make a finished drawing, Sketch a few hundred cars in a sketchbook using 1 or 2 pt perspective.

It will help you advance so much faster. Don't erase any lines!! You can use a BIC pen so you won't be tempted to erase.

It will also help you work on your line weight.

-

Guest DietDope

i know that problem with the ellipses ( and in the end the whole car ) leaning to the right ... or left if youre left-handed ...

happened to me only when i was too lazy to draw some perspective lines and didnt rotate my sheet of paper ...

so :

use perspective lines and rotate your page until it the line you want to put down fits best into your arm's "sweet spot" as they use to call it over at idsektching.com .

regards ,max

Guest NelsonDesign
Use some construction lines and get your shapes in perspective!!

Learn to draw ellipses in perspective. Bad wheels can ruin an otherwise OK drawing.

Don't try to make a finished drawing, Sketch a few hundred cars in a sketchbook using 1 or 2 pt perspective.

It will help you advance so much faster. Don't erase any lines!! You can use a BIC pen so you won't be tempted to erase.

It will also help you work on your line weight.

-

Thanks man, will do!

i know that problem with the ellipses ( and in the end the whole car ) leaning to the right ... or left if youre left-handed ...

happened to me only when i was too lazy to draw some perspective lines and didnt rotate my sheet of paper ...

so :

use perspective lines and rotate your page until it the line you want to put down fits best into your arm's "sweet spot" as they use to call it over at idsektching.com .

regards ,max

Well, the way I understand this is that the minor axis (axle) should be pointing towards my vanishing point. So wouldn't that send the ellipses tilting a bit? Just wondering, thanks for the comment

Well, the way I understand this is that the minor axis (axle) should be pointing towards my vanishing point. So wouldn't that send the ellipses tilting a bit? Just wondering, thanks for the comment

I made this a while back but it also applies to tires.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z60/j6studios/elipses.jpg

There's a million ellipse tutorials out there. Do a search here or on Google.

Guest tarngerine

it's not just that the minor axis has to go to the VP, the ellipse has to be at the right degree, too. draw a box and fit the ellipse in.

Guest NelsonDesign

I made this a while back but it also applies to tires.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z60/j6studios/elipses.jpg

There's a million ellipse tutorials out there. Do a search here or on Google.

it's not just that the minor axis has to go to the VP, the ellipse has to be at the right degree, too. draw a box and fit the ellipse in.

Thanks a lot fellahs, so I'm guessing with the Lamborghini, that the ellipses would have to be slightly more "open" Am I correct?

Take a look at the top of the tire compared to the bottom of the tire. The bottom is way bigger!

Also, the 3 ellipses you use to make the tire and rim aren't in sync with each other. The wheel cap is also out of wack.

Where are the perspective lines you used to make the tires? The tire should fit within a box that you made. You can eye it after a while but your not at that step yet. Trace some tires out of magazines or print some car pics off the net. Draw the Minor Axis and some perspective lines to see how the ellipses are made.

You have to do some homework on this!! Trial and error.

so I'm guessing with the Lamborghini, that the ellipses would have to be slightly more "open" Am I correct?

Guest NelsonDesign
Take a look at the top of the tire compared to the bottom of the tire. The bottom is way bigger!

Also, the 3 ellipses you use to make the tire and rim aren't in sync with each other. The wheel cap is also out of wack.

Where are the perspective lines you used to make the tires? The tire should fit within a box that you made. You can eye it after a while but your not at that step yet. Trace some tires out of magazines or print some car pics off the net. Draw the Minor Axis and some perspective lines to see how the ellipses are made.

You have to do some homework on this!! Trial and error.

so I'm guessing with the Lamborghini, that the ellipses would have to be slightly more "open" Am I correct?

Will do!