Sign in to follow this  
Guest rtdesign

Collaboration Among Designers

Guest rtdesign

Hi all,

I know this has been talked about on this forum before:

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=5519

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.p...ic=3150&hl=

but I haven't seen anything done with it. So let's give this another try.

So the idea is to establish a team of designers from around the world and design a product. We all off course will be paid once the product hit the shelves or be sold online. In 2009, we have great tools to start collaborating.

Also, don't reply saying it can't be done, and it's too complicated. Only positive replies please. I think if we put our mind to it, anything is possible.

Here is how I see it:

First of all, we need to know who is interested, and who is good in what. I think some of us have a strong sketching talent, others 3d modeling, etc.

Once we know who is interested, I think one important aspect of it will be the legal. Since we don't know each other, everybody is worrying somewhat about the legality of the whole project. So I suggest, we ask a friend or a relative Lawyer or a Notary to come up with draft version of a Contract. This will estate who is involved, and how the cost is split and how the profit will be shared. This is very important to establish from the beginning. Once we have a final contract, everybody will sign and scan and send it.

I like to be able to register a domain name where we can announce our team and the idea. I'm sure some of us are also good at designing a website.

Once we have everything sets, I think we should start brainstorming on a product. It doesn't have to be big, something simple for the first design to test if the whole thing works.

While doing that we could use the free tools on the internet, like Zoho.com perhaps or a free forum to collaborate and set the dates and manage the project.

Some of us have regular job, some are still in school and some like me are freelancers, so to each their own contribution. We should also elect a management team to look over the whole project and distribute tasks and set deadlines etc. etc.

That's it for now. It's an idea, but I'm sure we can make it happen.

Who's with me?

sounds funny

im the one with strange ideas and the possibility to produce nearly everything over here in china :-)

BR

Peter

btw what's product it will be? Lady's underwear?

Guest Grant Howarth

Hey, just to let you know I'd be interested to work on something like this. I think this idea can really work and it would be a good experience to try this idea and see where it ends up.

My skills:

Sketching, Rendering, Assembly Drawings &Layouts

Design Software Skills:

Pro/Engineer, 3DS Max - Vray and Mental Ray, CS3 - Photoshop & Indesign, Microsoft Office Suite

Machinery Skills:

3D Printing from CAD, CNC Lathe, Metal Lathe, Vertical Mill, Turret Press

Material Skills:

Blue Foam, Woodwork, Clay Moulding, Sheet Metal Fabricating, Acryllic Vacuum

Forming, Cardboard Sketch Modelling.

Just thought I'd post what I'd call my strongest skills to get the ball rolling.

I also have reasonable access to metalwork facilities should the need arise.

Guest rtdesign

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm compiling a list of products and a name for the group, so we can at least get the ball rolling and register the domain name, and work the legality of things.

Will keep you updated.

Spread the word.

Reza

Interesting initiative.

I am able to support and create a web interface within ProductDesignHub.com, which is a Joomla based website that can be easily and quickly extended with a plugin called 'Projectfork'.

Projectfork is a Project Management Solution which enables you to share your Projects and Ideas online with other Users! It is similar to basecamp or Gforge.

Projectfork features:

* Project mananager

* Task manager

* File repository

* Calendar

* Forum

* Advanced user access system

* Extensible and flexible framework

* And much more!

Check demo here

So with this software, we can collaborate together on a design project. We can allow selected users to participate and view the content, so we can protect ourselves and the ideas.

Of course if you want a dedicated website, you can consider to use Joomla as well, because it is open source and free. Quite easy to customize yourself with no programming knowledge. But I thought that because we have already many ID'ers here, we can make the system more easy to access without too much marketing/promotion effort.

Other support I can give is:

- sourcing from China (I am based in Shanghai); prototyping and manufacturing sources

- designing (brainstorming, idea sketching, 2D renderings, 3D surface modeling/renderings); I am currently working as a freelancer and I am more flexible to participate

Discussion points:

- Are we going to create product ideas and sell it to companies that are willing to invest? Companies nowadays are more careful to invest. Or are we investing ourselves to create and manufacture products under our own name and sell it to distributors directly? Or both?

- What are the investment costs? And who is going to invest?

Guest rtdesign

Thanks for your suggestions Waikit.

I think that would be very good. I haven't tried Projectfork, and from the demo I saw, it looks pretty good for now.

I think it would be a good idea to send everyone who is interested to that site and the users would register and get a welcome email etc.

Once we get started, these would be the items to discuss:

• I like to come up a name for the group.
  • Register a domain name
  • Make an announcement about our intentions. (This would help us get founding later on)
  • Perhaps do a montage photo of all of us :)
  • I think once we're set we have to communicate with the local media and make them talk about our project and our group. Once we've done that, the investors will step forward and will try to get a piece of the action.
  • We'll get the legal aspect of it, and sign a contract between us.

• The next step we'll do is brainstorm on ideas.

• Once we've voted and selected the idea, we'll start the design process.

• Meanwhile, we'll search for investors or companies whiling to invest in our project.

• Waikit will be able to help us to gather information about the cost.

To answer your question, I think once we have more information, we'll decide how to finance it, and look for options and solutions.

This is going to be a great project. I'm not aware of any other designers working together at a international scale.

So I think I can speak for everyone here, Waikit, go ahead and set-us up with that Project fork so we can continue the conversations there.

Reza

Guest johnnielsen
Thanks for your suggestions Waikit.

I think that would be very good. I haven't tried Projectfork, and from the demo I saw, it looks pretty good for now.

I think it would be a good idea to send everyone who is interested to that site and the users would register and get a welcome email etc.

Once we get started, these would be the items to discuss:

• I like to come up a name for the group.
  • Register a domain name
  • Make an announcement about our intentions. (This would help us get founding later on)
  • Perhaps do a montage photo of all of us :)
  • I think once we're set we have to communicate with the local media and make them talk about our project and our group. Once we've done that, the investors will step forward and will try to get a piece of the action.
  • We'll get the legal aspect of it, and sign a contract between us.

• The next step we'll do is brainstorm on ideas.

• Once we've voted and selected the idea, we'll start the design process.

• Meanwhile, we'll search for investors or companies whiling to invest in our project.

• Waikit will be able to help us to gather information about the cost.

To answer your question, I think once we have more information, we'll decide how to finance it, and look for options and solutions.

This is going to be a great project. I'm not aware of any other designers working together at a international scale.

So I think I can speak for everyone here, Waikit, go ahead and set-us up with that Project fork so we can continue the conversations there.

Reza

The experiment is interesting, I have tried something similiar a couple of years ago, where architects and designers formed a group which was funded partly by EU to design and get a lowenergy windowframe all the way to the prototype stage. in the group was also manufactors and engeneers with knowledge about preserving energy.

The work was carefully planned by one group leader, responsible to EU, and every detail about eventual royalties, etc. were documented before the project began.

If possible I would like to participate, but I do believe, the group would need at some point to include members from (a) relevant productioncompanies, of course depending on the idea.

You can get an introduction of me and my work at www.john-nielsen.com

kind regards john

Guest gonzo_ID

count me in. sounds like an excellent way to (1) network, (2) practice skills (3) have fun.

my skillset.

also suggest google apps as collaboration tool. i've used to before and like the way it is done. else the guys behind wordpress have excellent forum software.

oh, and if we can use this project to in an educational / learning capability then there's always looking at universities for financing.

Guest agds

Hi World Wide Designers Net. !

I'm new on this forum, i've seen your post Reza on LinkedIn and follow it to that new place.

This world wide project seems really interesting.

To give you a short presentation of my situation : I'm a young french ind. designer based in Bolivia (South America). I've done few projects with french and brasilian artists and architects based in other countries with that kind of method of collaboration via an immaterial network. I work with my own studio on industrial, interior design, graphic and artistic projects.

My skills :

- creativity / conceptual development

- sketching / modeling

- graphics (Adobe suite)

- 3Dmodeling (Rhinoceros) / rendering (3DS+vray)

- a bit of web and animations (Dreamweaver and Flash)

For more informations about me and my french-bolivian studio, please visit : my website

After legal terms and communication tools, and during our process, i think the principal problem will be the translation from immaterial to material. Not the models as 3d sketches but the prototype(s), the follow-up of production, etc... A person or a team located in the same place must do that part of the work if we use a conventional development of this first product. Don't you think? This place can be China as few persons proposed or other.

But perhaps we can use this particularity of geographicly exploded team to supply a solution to a worldwide problem with local conditions of production. We can make this solution possible for everyone without the dependence of a unique producing source.

It’s just an idea to develop cause of course it expose us to other problems.

As you said Reza, we don’t have all the same professional situation. For my part I need to drive my own studio so sometimes I’m a bit full, but if you want me in the team, I’ll try to follow actively all the process.

Sorry for my sometimes lame English :)

Regards.

Antoine

I admire the enthusiasm but you need to get the legal framework right from the start. Who owns the outcome? How is the profit distributed? Who makes decisions as to the final route? If you can get it to work, great but my experience of these collaborative design teams is not good. A good team is not necessarily made up of only designers (in fact I would dare to say this is a recipe for disaster!!). A good team is made up of a wide range of skills - you need production, engineering, marketing, legal, expertise in licensing and/or distribution.

While this post keeps getting debated again- I felt one point that could pave the way for future of collaborative designs.. That is to create a problem space like you have jobs and posts columns where industry majors category wise can post their design problems and practical difficulties and find solutions and answers from the open community or set of individuals and take on from there into individual or group collaboration which is open ended and context specific.

I always felt design was more a context specific , time specific and technology specific concern which also included style statements, user features and functionality matrix inbuilt to solve a particular need of the context and time frame.The history of product evolution in generic products teaches us this.

If you study as products have evolved over generations we see this trend influenced by styles, technology changes and user behaviour influenced by geo specific domains.

If we create a product or technology indexed space for designer problems be it Industrial design, services or related material process solutions then it can have a wide participation and sharing of knowledge and also a educational platform to produce new results which can be harnessed by one and all.

Such a space also will have detailed specifics to industry platform specific to the industry and standards as well as technology leads, backgrounds and histological scope to provide a new framework for the current context and also limit the scope of evolution of the design. It could become a benchmark. Suggestions - like if you take ceramic design of a Mug - Industry clients can post a detailed summary of their need for a new design and find specific solutions for a cost basis determined by the website that hosts the product problem and shares such a result with their panel of contributors- be it designers and other specific group on a system that needs to be researched.

I would see explorations and feedback to improve this system and find a viable method.

Guest Silveraudi01

Reza, I'd like to join as well. It is a daunting task to organize and get running for sure but I'm game and can bring my skills to the challenge. You can take a peek at my background through my LinkedIn profile. I've got ideas for potential projects as well.

Guest csven

I posted this to LinkedIn but don't expect it to generate much enthusiasm:

If the intent is to test the potential for collaborative design via the internet, why not develop an open source product which (hopefully) solves a third world need and simply remove monetary compensation from the equation?

There are undoubtedly plenty of problems which could be addressed, the question is whether or not people are willing to eliminate any potential profit in order to minimize the legalities and conflicts of ownership which will very likely surface. Architects (e.g. Studio Wikitecture) do it, why can't industrial designers?

Guest seré

Count me in!

And don't start discussing now about details.. once the team is set up, go to the next step (legals stuff, which project, and so on..)

I suggest to make this team not too large..