Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest p waddy

My Portfolio Work Samples, Looking For Feedback

Guest p waddy

I have decided to create a smaller portfolio of work samples on skills, then have a seperate folio seperate with full projects in. I'm unsure how i should do this, i dont know whether to just take samples of design sheets from projects and import them. Or i dont know whether to just creat skills pages and mix all projects up like ive kinda done here.

I haven't got much done on it but i dont think there needs to be loads for samples. I'm not sure whether i should be consistent with the layout such as in the sketching page.

any feedback and crit would be appreciated

Guest fiori

I guess this is more your resume rather than your portfolio right? Something that you will send to companies to get an interview prior to showing your real portfolio, if you get what I mean.

Well if thats the case I would defintly say try and cut down on the text on the parts where you have shown your work as im sure that any potential employer has about 30 seconds to look at it (if that) and all they will see are the parts that stand out. With alot of the text you have on there you could just reduce it to bulletpoints, for example you put "Silicone nose grip - this material was chosen as it is a cheap, comfortable, and easy to mould material, suitable for the nose support." and you could just say, "Silicone Nose Grip - Cheap, Comfortable, Easy to Mould Material" like one of my lecturers says, just take out every 3rd word to reduce the word count.

Also try to fill the image page more, as you just have 3 pencil drawings in the middle of the page, one of which has already been shown in the previous page, you could probably jsut reduce those and add a load of other sketches in, becuase your sketches are pretty decent and showing a process in sketches is very valuable.

There is a link to my litte CV (on the first post) that I will be sending out soon, however I do BA Produce Design with Animation, so im more of an artisy person so it probably wont help you greatly but I have just said whats needed to be said and shown my entire skill field in a few images : http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=9958 However the work I would present in a portfolio for an interview will be different, this is just more like a teaser.

I think that your front page should be give more of an impact like you say, perhaps just put your process of thought, like how you tackle your projects, as alot of companies put "INNOVATION, CONCEPTUAL, STATE OF THE ART" or whatever just to show you what they are about when you go on their homepage.

Maybe try to add a border around it all because all I see is abit of your work and alot of white and I always try to elimate as much useless white as possible (however thats just me) Its just a case of putting your own style into it, what you are, what your about and why you should get the job. To be honest no matter how much work you put into it or how good it it im sure most companies wont even read it when sent in an email, so make sure you present it as a hard copy, and make it something that they will remember.

Well I hope that helps, but just remember, "Keep it Simple"

Guest p waddy

Hi Fiori, thanks very much for your feedback. I was actually looking at your sample portfolio teaser earlier. Looks very well done. You have a lot of colour which is pleasant to look at. Mine = lots of white space, too text heavy = not nice to look at.

I see what you mean about it being quite text heavy. I guess i have it that way to properly explain my idea if people want to read it. However i understand this doesnt look particularly nice, so the text is something i could keep in my head and use to explain in an interview situation i guess? This was going to be the start of my proper portfolio, and i was going to create a sample of work not so much on a particular project, but a mixture of skills used in various projects. Also do you have any tips for compiling lots of sketches together on a page? I normally scan into photoshop, crop and adjust levels slightly, then i would set my layout up using illustrator to get correct sizes before copying into indesign to create the folio.

About a lot of white space between things, i thought this may make the work stand out more as if there is too much going on there is nowhere to focus? Having said that ive seen some very nice looking pages with lots of images, sketches etc on.

Regarding hard copies, once finished i will be getting the A3 sheets printed in high quality ink and putting into my folio to take around with me. The thing is, i am actually looking to go over to America for an internship or job so that wont be so easy carrying lots of stuff with me.

thanks again

Guest p waddy

Hey, ive updated my folio, well changed it to my work samples instead. I'm unsure whether to progress with this idea, or to just use a full portfolio.

Please give me some crit and feedback.

The link for the work samples is in my first post i edited the original message

in my opinion the sample lacks design content and is not very memerable. if this is the piece that is meant to attract attention to your abilities over of the candidates it is not doing so. lose the fluff and get the design(images) to pop into the foreground.