Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lilith

Pregnancy Vest

Guest Lilith

Hi everyone, i could do with any help from anyone who knows anything! hmm that sounded weird, so, yes as i was saying, i am in the middle (closer to the end) of my final degree project and my working prototype is not ready yet, please any ideas on what materials i could use to build this (and what processes) quickly and painlessly?

any help is greatly appreciated.

all the details have to come later.

D3OLayout.jpg

Guest Giorgio789

Hey there, when you say "working prototype", do you mean you have a sample of that d30 material you're planning to use? Well, I'd make the blue "shield" part by vacuum-forming a sheet of styrene, if you have access to vacuum forming machine; straps are pretty self-explanatory. Good idea, btw, not sure how many pregnant moms would be willing to go for a bike ride regardless of protection like this.

Guest Lilith

Giorgio thanks for your reply, yes i am hoping to get hold of 3do, and i think vacuum forming is an excellent idea! cheers!

Guest Skint

hey lilith, anything to do with protecting unborn or infant children is always worth supporting in my mind so Great idea :) As I have no children yet :) I am unaware of anything like this already available.

One thing I would say though, is get rid of your "cycling suit". I dont see why your idea could not be used at anytime, perhaps as added protection when walking for instance.

Also, maybe the straps could also offer some support for the tired ladies carrying thier cute heavy belly`s around lol.

Guest Lilith

Skint, thanks for your comment, you are absolutely right, the item can be used during all sorts of activities and during driving as well, so the title is going to change, but the actual vest is not heavy at all, it is made of soft fabric, but my rough renderings are confusing and i apologise for that.

Guest Skint

lilith, sorry it is me who has confused You :). I was not thinking that your design is heavy, and infact I like your drawings. What I was suggesting is that, maybe somehow the shape/design and placement of the straps could actually provide some added support to the weight of the stomach and transfer the load to other areas of the body..... perhaps im rambling on lol I know nothing about women and babies haha... but I do know that back pain is a common concern for pregnant women.

Guest Lilith

oh right exactly! thats a great point thanks! it could as well support the weight of the baby apart from protecting, thanks for the hint :) i made some sketches with shoulder support, will post the whole project soon, i just got few days left and the prototype is not ready yet :/

Hi

Nice project not easy. At first you are student so i guess no child's of your own right now.

I have two and a pregnant woman in summer will never use the BP (i just call it Baby Protector) because the temperature the woman has to carry the baby incl water so much more than her normal weight thats hard work it cause sweating and she will refuse to cover her womb with anything more.

I will say one thing is the Protector should have openings on the front to let air in more like a cage with nice shaped openings second point i think about is i wouldn't touch the womb it should be more like a protection hand over the womb and guide all accidental forces away from the womb to the next point what can take the force it will be the hip bones and the shoulders ( think about a seatbelt in the car) so the construct should be between that points with a large contact area to soften the impact. One point more i have seen so many pregnant woman's at the time my child's was born and they are all different some with twins has a small womb a other one is so big you guess she got at least 4 baby's what i want to say is it will be a other difficult task to create the "one size fits all" solution.

I think i wasn't that helpful so far because you need a quick solution.

BR

Peter

Perhaps something like this, replace backback with protection*

back-system.jpg

*I don't think you need a solid shell. A frame would perhaps suffice.

@Skint: fatsies could use it too then :)

Guest Lilith

hey guys thanks for your time!

Skint, thanks, i lost the "cycling" so its just an activity vest now :ph34r:

R. P. S. very good points, thanks, i have absorbed the information you have given, btw the vest is absolutely breathable

i know it does look like a hard shell, but it is not, i am in the process of finalizing my prototype and will post it soon, meanwhile my A1 presentation boards (unfortunatelly we were restricted by 2 only)

in_review_l1copy.jpg

in_review_l2copy.jpg

Guest Skint

Glad my idea didnt go to waste lilith :) Presentation boards look great, clean and simple. Nice work. Hope you get the A.

Good project. I'm with RPS in that I've got 3 kids and each was different in the way they sat in the womb and moved (one was breach)....reading that sounds a bit odd....I should point out my wife had three kids...I was just the helper!

I think there is a market for this kind of protective kit, but, I think you should maybe emphasise the support element more than the protection element. A pregnant woman doing active sports like cycling or even light jogging needs to have the belly stabilised. If they fall then to be frank no amount of neoprene like material will do any good apart from preventing abrasions.

Think of a bra as well. What you have is similar to a bra for the belly, but a sports bra is there mainly for support not for protection. If you fall onto your chest you will do some damage but how many chest protectors are sold? (in fact thinking this through to more active sports like skiing there are virtually no chest protection products around - lots of back, neck and limb protection).

I think if you sold this as a support system for active mums to be it would sell. You could also shape it more to the underside to alleviate the backpain suffered in the later stage of pregnancy.

Guest Lilith

hey guys thanks again for your time, i got my exhibition in few days fingers crossed its going to be smooth, i need to find a pregnant mannequin for the demonstration hehe :P