Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest slicedbread

Solidworks Vray?

Guest slicedbread

Hi, I've always used SolidWorks for my CAD models, and rendered them on PhotoWorks, but after seeing the amazing rendering possibilities with Vray I want to give it a go. Is is possible to render my SolidWorks models on Vray, or is my only option to learn a new CAD package such as Rhino? Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest rtdesign

Hi there,

Vray is a plugin for different applications, it is not a stand alone software. It is available for 3D Studio MAX, and I believe for Maya as well. I might be mistaking, but I think there are plugins available for Rhino and even Sketchup.

Vray is a GI engine. Global Illumination (GI) is calculated using rays of light that bounces around objects and the environment, for that it is real life lighting.

Hope it helped.

Rez

www.rtdesign.ca

Guest slicedbread

Thanks Rez, that was helpful. I didn't know Vray was simply an plugin app. I will do some more investigating and see if it is avalible for SolidWorks, otherwise I might just give it a go on Rhino, 3D Max etc.

PS. some of your work is really excellent! had a look through your portfolio.

Guest rtdesign

I'm glad I could help. Thanks for the Portfolio complement. I'm trying to find some free time to write a Tutorial on my blog on Vray. Look for it.

Good luck!

If you have rhino or 3ds max, they both have vray plugins. You can export your solidworks file into one of those programs to render. I don't think they have it as a plugin for solidworks yet.