Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lokilabs

Critiqe My Sketch

Guest lokilabs

post-9741-1239149077.jpg

Can someone please give me some advice on how to make this sketch stand out more. I want to make it more dynamic by adding highlights and background reflections but am having trouble.

Guest MikeWied
post-9741-1239149077.jpg

Can someone please give me some advice on how to make this sketch stand out more. I want to make it more dynamic by adding highlights and background reflections but am having trouble.

Hey man,

Honestly, I would just fill in the windows, and add a couple strokes of highlights. I like how your design is so simple, and I get it because you're not trying to over-do it with lavish renderings.

Nice work! Only one thing, don`t get it personal, but i have a hard time finding out which is front and which is back of the car? And work also on details. i would like to see how you manage rims,etc. Good work!.You might be onto something!

Guest Gappie

Or if you want to keep some of the squares empty (which could work out quite nice, tempting the imagination :) ) try and play with line weight. The sketch appears somewhat flat on top because of the same thickness of lines, bottom however has a nice perspective due to shading. For example, try and thicken some of the lines at the back/shaded area.

Like the start, now go for the final stretch.

Guest lokilabs

Thanks for your inputs guys! Do you know of any good online tuts that explain some of what your talking about. How would you suggest doing highlights?

Guest madmatt
Nice work! Only one thing, don`t get it personal, but i have a hard time finding out which is front and which is back of the car? And work also on details. i would like to see how you manage rims,etc. Good work!.You might be onto something!

Anyway I find it cool!! :-)

Bye

Guest lokilabs

post-9741-1239210803.jpg

Anyway I find it cool!! :-)

Bye

Thanks I did a few variations of the front.

Guest Taro

nice sketching skill man, I envy.

just wondering, why don't you just fill in all the colors first? I mean, detail comes last anyways.

o yeah, for the line sketch, you should have a thicker line weight. Right now, I see two, so its not really standing out that much.

btw, why program do you use? it will help with finding tutorials for you.

also, try carbodydesign or carnews or w/e, i forgot llol

Guest lokilabs

post-9741-1239218551.jpg

just wondering, why don't you just fill in all the colors first? I mean, detail comes last anyways.

o yeah, for the line sketch, you should have a thicker line weight. Right now, I see two, so its not really standing out that much.

I use Design Studio by Autodesk. Its sweet!! Here is another in development with added textures and background work.

Guest Gappie

Ok, your drawing really exceeds some of my drawing qualitys though I think line weight is still important. In your first line sketch from yesterday you've added some thickness but it seems to be on the wrong side. There isn't a fixed rule in this but often you provide line thickness in the back of a drawing, next to shaded areas. Since your working on computer rendering it shouldn't be too hard to play with it, and it can really make your perspective stand out.

In the colored drawing the windows and back of the car seem really flat, so try and do something in there. And if you like tutorials http://web.mit.edu/2.009/www/resources/ske...gTutorials.html

Guest lokilabs
hay when i look at this car, all i can think of is ....

What the?......That's too funny. Keep the critiqes coming!!!

Guest INDauburn
post-9741-1239218551.jpg

I use Design Studio by Autodesk. Its sweet!! Here is another in development with added textures and background work.

I don't know a whole lot but leaving as much white space for highlights as possible and slowly taking them down until you get it the way you want it and filling in dark portions really dark will usually add a little pop to your renderings, I can't aford autodesk or I'd be using it too, try some markers and tape off the highlights first, your work is ALOT better than mine if you can sketch a straight line like that by hand haha

Guest lokilabs
post-9741-1239218551.jpg

I don't know a whole lot but leaving as much white space for highlights as possible and slowly taking them down until you get it the way you want it and filling in dark portions really dark will usually add a little pop to your renderings, I can't aford autodesk or I'd be using it too, try some markers and tape off the highlights first, your work is ALOT better than mine if you can sketch a straight line like that by hand haha

I can usually sketch a pretty straight line but dont normally have to when finishing a design because of the tools in autodesk. Just one click and you have a nice line. Maybe I will do another and change the color.