Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Live Design

Crocs Manufacture

Guest Live Design

post-6926-1237672457.jpg

Hi all,

Im just curious to know if anybody knows how these crocs are manufactured given their shape? Im struggling to find any information on it.

Cheers

Guest jjdemery
post-6926-1237672457.jpg

Hi all,

Im just curious to know if anybody knows how these crocs are manufactured given their shape? Im struggling to find any information on it.

Cheers

I think they are reaction injection moulded RIM in one piece, some sort of self skinning polyurethane foam.

Guest Manu T
post-6926-1237672457.jpg

Hi all,

Cheers

It looks like normal injection moulding to me. The material may be elastomeric with blowing agents which gives the final soft feel. The holds at the back are added in a secondary operation.

Guest Bowl of Soup

Lol, these are made in my home town, I have a pair and I though they were a foamed polymer at first. The feel is exactly like a rubber ball. Just for you, I scraped them a bit, there is no coating and they look just like an old rubber juggling ball would when scraped. Some polymer hybrid, there are no markings to indicate the main polymer chain used though.

Cheers.

Guest Skint

From what I remember the owner of crocs was impressed by the "resin" material he found used in an earlier design of shoe. They finally bought out the company which produces the material.

Its actually made from Ethylene-vinyl acetate

Guest CMcA
post-6926-1237672457.jpg

Hi all,

Cheers

Take a look at MDI Products website. They call the material "Polycell" it's a closed cell foam that is injection molded, however there are plenty of differences from foam molding and thermoplastics. It's used for crocs although they are obviously eager to find other uses. Their catalog has a pretty thorough explanation of the process and how the material is unique.

http://www.mdiproducts.com/