Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pracks

Page Full Of Doodles!

Guest Grant Howarth

Pracks, as far as we're concerned this topic is YOUR personal space to fill with YOUR work and we will attempt to put some input on how to improve. (I'm pretty sure we're all allowed our own sketching topic?) Don't wait until you have something you think is perfect to post here as it's much easier for people to help you when they regularly see your progress and can give little bits of advice regularly. Why not stick up a page of sketches a day? I'm going to stick it out there and say that sketching is NOT the be all and end all so don't worry too much, it is something that comes with regular practice over time. Whats the point in being a fantastic sketcher if you can't DESIGN, I'm sick of seeing 100 beautiful sketches of @#$@#$ useless products!!! It's just one part of the process (albeit very important for communicating many factors), however, in this digital age there are many software tools such as Sketchbook Pro 2010 which can really help you to understand form, perspective etc. So just keep practising and you'll be great in no time. Good luck.

Guest pracks
No, post whatever you have.

We dont expect you to be amazing from the get go.

And by posting regularly, we can give you more up-to-date feedback.

Feel free to post whatever you have.

Yeh.. i am working on geo forms.. will post soon! thanx!

Guest Gappie

Here are a few examples of things you can practice on. If you do the same with cubes as I did with the ellipses you'll get the hang of it at some point. The other images are simply the next step in trying to understand form and perspective. Identifying basic elements in products is essential if you start sketching.

ps these are sketches from my very first lessons on sketching thus very realistic on what you can achieve aswell

post-10925-1238746023.jpg

post-10925-1238746042.jpg

post-10925-1238746055.jpg

post-10925-1238746067.jpg

Guest pracks
Here are a few examples of things you can practice on. If you do the same with cubes as I did with the ellipses you'll get the hang of it at some point. The other images are simply the next step in trying to understand form and perspective. Identifying basic elements in products is essential if you start sketching.

ps these are sketches from my very first lessons on sketching thus very realistic on what you can achieve aswell

thanx Gappie for sharing this!

i did some practice of lines n squares n cubes since yesterday, posting 'em up here. i feel my line practice is looking too casual, but i am trying to keep my wrist stiff n move from the elbow n shoulder... i realised drawing vertical lines is much more difficult than horizontal.

yeh n i really enjoyed making 'cubes in the space' , though i could not avoid chicken-scratch as i just wanted to get the feel of how the cube would move in perspective. :)

post-5930-1238747506.jpg

post-5930-1238747565.jpg

post-5930-1238747613.jpg

Guest xonegon

there a book called "design sketching", look it up, its somewhere around on the internet, and maybe in a bookstore

Guest pracks
there a book called "design sketching", look it up, its somewhere around on the internet, and maybe in a bookstore

yep! i am planning to buy that book in some time...

i realised drawing vertical lines is much more difficult than horizontal.

easiest thing to do is to turn your page instead of trying to draw at awkward angles

good job with the cubes

keep it up!

Guest pracks

hey!

@ sketchyd: What do you mean by DRAWING THROUGH?! i didnt get it... do u mean instead of stopping my line at the junctions i let it go a bit further like a stroke?

@vander: thanx! will upload more progress soon...

Guest Gappie

@ sketchyd; kinda figured I would get feedback on those pages :). They were from five years back during the very first lessons on drawing. They're definetely not perfect but were to show how you could start the exercises

Guest pracks
uh./.. no

draw through means to put down your guidelines first.

for example...

ill post up something in a few seconds

Oh... okay will do that!