Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pracks

Page Full Of Doodles!

Guest pracks

hi all !!

I love to doodle.. and thought i would share them with u here... i would love to get your crits... i specially find it difficult to go upto the sketch level, i guess i.e. the more industrial design kind... HELP!!

post-5930-1237383132.jpg

Great you love to sketch!

Best asset for quickly improving.

Heres the problem: chicken scratch.

Fix that and you will get to the next level.

Chicken scratch is when you use more than one stroke to draw a line that only requires one stroke.

The only way to fix this problem is to have confidence in your strokes.

The only way to build confidence is to fully understand: perspective, geo forms, and an understanding of how certain things look.

Guest pracks

thanx sketchyd...

i will try and sketch with more confidence, will put up stuff soon...

can you give any tips on how can i better try n understand how things look! mayb i need to work on my perspective understanding. its not like i dont know the principles but the products just dont appear in front of my eyes.. if you know what i mean... somehow the visualisation part is a bit foggy for me since some time!

Great you love to sketch!

Best asset for quickly improving.

Heres the problem: chicken scratch.

Fix that and you will get to the next level.

Chicken scratch is when you use more than one stroke to draw a line that only requires one stroke.

The only way to fix this problem is to have confidence in your strokes.

The only way to build confidence is to fully understand: perspective, geo forms, and an understanding of how certain things look.

Please, don`t post anything here, unless you have attained at least some drawing or sketching progress. These doodles can work in a primary school, not on a design forum. Hope I didn`t offend you.

Guest pracks

hi skecthyd,

i am uploading my first attempt at non-chicken-scratch sketching... its difficult... and i am finding my perspectives and proportions going bonkers! its so much like asking a drunkard to walk straight!! hehe!!

will practise it this way some more n upload better ones soon, i hope!!

post-5930-1238586968.jpg

Guest Gappie

Hey Pracks

Although you tried and stopped using chicken scratch I think you need to work on geometry first in order to create better drawings. It seems that you started right away with complex shapes while you dont quite master basic shapes like a cube, cilinder, elipse, or even a straight line. That's also the reason why your perspective is off.

Best way to begin is to just start drawing cubes in all different shapes and sizes. Try and keep away from chicken scratch, just one line per time and if you mess up one cube start a new one (after you've finished the last one). If your comfortable with it begin on elipses, draw 2 or three pages full of ellipses and again if your comfortable with it continue with a cilinder, etc.. I think you understand where I'm going.

This page holds some great video tutorials which shows the way almost every1 learns to draw: http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=2259

Hope this'll help you Pracks

And for advancedboy, I'm sorry but I completely disagree. When you're struggling with something, either on amateur or professional level you can come to this forum for help, and since Pracks tries to take comments into account to get to a new level he's in the right place.

Guest Taro

hey pracks

personally, I think it is way to early, and really dissapointing for you to say that it is difficult to go up to the next skill level. Because right now, even drawing simple cubes and lines everyday will improve you by a huge lot.

I think your latest page where you started doing cleaner sketches, everything looks wrong. Compare to the first page, even though it looks messy, at least they are somewhat correct to my eyes. To me, being correct is more important than having clean sketches, even though clean sketches are also super important.

also, there are wayyy more ways to practice your line and basic perspective, look around on the forum, or under my sketching topic. Drawing many random stuff on one page would not work.

just wondering, your first sketch was march 18, your second sketch was today. Did you make any sketches in between?

I think advancedboy is just trying to say that, there is really a limit to what we can give you, you really have to practice everyday by yourself in order to improve.

Guest qitnic
Please, don`t post anything here, unless you have attained at least some drawing or sketching progress. These doodles can work in a primary school, not on a design forum. Hope I didn`t offend you.

So why are you posting on this forum? I've seen your uploaded stuff in your own topics, it's complete junk. You're the guy on the casting for idol, thinking you can sing but actually you're the bird who falled out of the nest and landed on the head. Yep.. that's who you are.

Once again... junk.

pracks, continue to sketch... sketch alot. Browse around the forum and inspire yourself. Start with simple forms, like cubes, cylinders and learn perspective. Then work on your line quality, make papers full of lines, ellipses everyday.

Good luck!

i unfortunately have to agree.

Strangely enough, your newest sketch is far worse than your 1st post.

Like previous posters said, perspective, knowledge of how forms look, and pretty much everything else looks all wrong.

Im also curious as taro said, are tehre any sketches between these two?

You CANNOT expect to improve with so little practice.

You need to be doing at least a page a day.

and that is the MINIMUM.

can you give any tips on how can i better try n understand how things look! mayb i need to work on my perspective understanding. its not like i dont know the principles but the products just dont appear in front of my eyes.. if you know what i mean... somehow the visualisation part is a bit foggy for me since some time!

the best way to improve this is to practice geo forms, cubes, cones, cylinders, and spheres.

If you look at any object, they are all combinations of these forms.

for your next few sketches you upload.

Post up geo forms.

Contrary to my previous post, dont worry about clean sketches for now,

we will help you on that later once you get perspective and forms down.

Guest AdamMichell

I agree you need to get the basics right.

Maybe start with side views.

Quick and easy to get ideas down, will give you some confident line strokes. Add some line weight in there.

Where is the light coming from? Maybe overlap some drawings to add some drama.

Get your lines looking confident and think about how your applying them. Need to force yourself out of bad habits.

If you check out IDsketching.com, or maybe the book Sketching for product designers. Definately a must buy!

i appreciate what you did in your second post because you took the advice people gave you and tried it out for yourself which says that your willing to learn so that's great, however . . .

as mentioned before what you want to try and do is draw lines with a single stroke but there are two ways of doing this . . . the slow way and the quick way . . . it seems to me that you a taking your time even when drawing a straight line which means it comes out a little shaky and doesn't allow for your line weight to stay consistent

what you want to do is draw your strokes quickly for a couple of reasons . . . for one it speeds up your sketching, two it will translate into a stroke which expresses confidence, and three it allows you to better control the pressure of your strokes which will give you more consistent line weight

try this: put two dots on a piece of paper, start with your pencil on the first dot and draw a straight line to the second dot with a stroke that should last no more than half a second . . . the trick is to not look at you pencil but rather only look at the second dot, you will notice that if you do this right (and with a little practice) your hand will take your pencil right to that dot every time

oh . . . one other thing, pivot you arm at your elbow and try and keep you wrist straight you will find it much easier this way

looking forward to seeing your progress

Guest pracks

okay guys!! my apologies for posting such sketches in the forum... but trust me i could not control myself after seeing how beautifully u guys sketch... i want to go there and i have to start somewhere, rt?!

advancedboy : thanx for letting know where i stand... but trust me i kindda know that n was really stuck... i promise i wont put up any more junk! though sometimes it may happen as i cant directly start drawing like u guys!!

sketchyd, Gappie, Taro, AdamMichell, vander, quitnic : THANX A LOT guys for bearing with me! I will surely work on your suggestions and post things only when i feel i have gone a step furthur! As of now i am trying to sketch 2-3 pages per day.

yeh, i also confess that i havent really given enough time for sketching till date... and i am determined to change that ;)

see ya guys soon!!

Guest pracks

and yeh... i am a girl :);) just FYI.. its odd to hear 'him' and 'he' for me!

No offence .. but that was well harsh !! it wasnt even feedback or critique on your part, just down right harsh.

Design process starts right at the basics, when working free and without care in some of these drawings you might look at them as a whole and see something like a shape or form that sparks an idea for a product that could be built on.

Creativity comes from the right side of the brain, thankfully i naturly use mine becuase im Dyslexic.

but the comment you posted is like something i would have heard from a Maths tutor or something (left brain users) Lateral thinkers.

Your comment really Ticked me off. If you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing at all.

sketchyd, Gappie, Taro, AdamMichell, vander, quitnic : THANX A LOT guys for bearing with me! I will surely work on your suggestions and post things only when i feel i have gone a step furthur! As of now i am trying to sketch 2-3 pages per day.

No, post whatever you have.

We dont expect you to be amazing from the get go.

And by posting regularly, we can give you more up-to-date feedback.

Feel free to post whatever you have.