Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jailbird Charlie

Small Multi Tool

Guest Jailbird Charlie

hi guys,

Thought i'd share my entry for the Speed modeling challange over at Threedy forums.

Modeled in Solidworks: 58mins

Rendered in Photoview 360: 10mins

Its not 100% finished in my eyes but you are only allowed to spend 1 hr for modeling time.

I'll play with it a bit more when I get the time.

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

J_C

post-7321-1237293112.jpg

post-7321-1237293128.jpg

Guest Evanzo
they already have tools like this?

are u trying to make something new?

He said it was a speed modeling contest, not a design.

For the purpose, I think it's pretty well done :) The top one should be a little brighter though. Not enough contrast.

Edit: Also, is photoview 360 available for any platforms besides solidworks? Looks pretty good for 10 minute render time

Guest Jailbird Charlie

Hi Guys,

@BMW17: Yeah, there is no design intent here, it was mearly a contest to see how much detail you could model within 60 mins.

@Evanzo: I think Solidworks just bought out Photoview and they now run along side each other. If you're looking for a VERY similar product then try Bunkspeed by Hypershot. The interface and the 'flow' are almost identical.

Here I've tried to brighten it up a bit. I'm not very good at spotting how much to alter an image to make it 'pop' but here it is.

@ Skint: Cheers bud :cheers:

Nice one guys, i'll hopefully update this at the weekend.

J_C

post-7321-1237370284.jpg

Guest Jailbird Charlie

Hi Guys,

Here is my final finished entry for the Threedyforums.com Speed Modeling Challenge #053.

Entry Guidelines;

Subject: Pocket Knife / Multi Tool.

Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday March 18th 2009.

Description: Be it a Swiss Army Knife, a multi tool pair of pliers or even a Sonic Screwdriver, as long as it can sit inside your pocket and it's a tool, it'll be ok. Let's see what you can bring to this SMC.

Model Time: 60 min.

Wish me luck,

J_C

post-7321-1237389873.jpg

Guest Siona

Very nice! But but i'm trying to see how it folds up and it seems like the pliers are round the wrong way...

Guest Pamela5446
hi guys,

Thought i'd share my entry for the Speed modeling challange over at Threedy forums.

Modeled in Solidworks: 58mins

Rendered in Photoview 360: 10mins

Its not 100% finished in my eyes but you are only allowed to spend 1 hr for modeling time.

I'll play with it a bit more when I get the time.

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

J_C

Very nice! I just started using PV360. Is the wood floor something you added in photoshop?

Guest Jailbird Charlie

SIONA: This is just a part file atm, but when i get time i'll pull the whole thing apart and re-assemble it into a working assembly so i can show a step by step of how it folds up.

PAMELA 5446: The wood floor was done in SW as a solid body then textured. I made a few colour adjustments and DOF in Photoshop afterwards though.

Photoview360 is still a bit of a toy for me to be honest. I love the speed and results of the renders but there is too little control for us control freaks. My biggest gripe with PV360 is the lack of cameras.

My method is usualy something like this;

1. Pimp my model with as much detail as possible in Solidworks. This is what really helps to sell the model as being real.

2. Create a scene in Solidworks using planes for lighting and tables etc.

3. Apply all materials with bumps, adjustments etc in PHOTOWORKS.

4. Save the model with 'store photoworks data in model file' option enabled.

5. Open the model in PHOTOVIEW360.

6. Zoom in to the desired size in the graphics preview window.

7. Crank the quality of the render to maximum.

8. For an A4 size render, set the pixel resolution to 3508 x 2480. (i usualy take the 3508 up to 4000 to be safe.)

9. Hit the final render button.

10. Make a cup of tea.

11. Go back to the computer and look at the pretty pretty picture.

optional step 12. make colour adjustments in photoshop but know when enough is enough or you can become obsessed with 'tweaking' an image to try and achieve an unrealistic level of perfectionism.

Following these steps I produced the below picture.

See you later,

J_C

post-7321-1237543054.jpg

Guest kaiza

Not a bad job for 60mins modeling!

Nice render too - my only gripe is the texture on the side of the plier nose - it looks stretched.

Also, I was browsing the Threedy SMC threads - for a SW "mesh" you could always provide a screenshot with Hidden Lines Visible. Alternatively you could try exporting as an STL or VRML mesh.

Guest Jailbird Charlie

Well the results are in...

I only managed 2nd place in this one which is a bit dissapointing but ok for my first attempt i guess.

Thanks to those who helped with valuable advice.

J_C