Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Henrystarts

i really need you guys for my final project

Guest Henrystarts

hello guys, :D

i actually working on a labour saving device with is related to a coffee maker and a toaster. well quite strange idea but i think thats gonna work.

Toaster :)

the process is simple ive started from the base of how to cook a toaster.

with heat is the perfect cook and ive made some research about halogen heating and i think its gonna work.

in terms of design i want something transparent to that we can see through the toaster and the toaster is part of the coffee marker (1 product 2 functions)

ive found on a toaster which works with the combination of infrared and halogen light with give a uniform cooking without buring , i might also include a digital time to my product.

Coffee Maker :P

Am still working on the coffee marker as soon i done my research and ideas i will send you more informations.

i would like to make a small suvery online just to help me get along with my toaster and coffee machine.

:ph34r: Question?????????

1) Problems with the toaster avaiable on the market?

2) What do you expect from a new toaster?

3) problems with the coffee marker?

4) What do you expect from a new coffee marker?

5) what do you think of a combination of both ? on the marker as a designer and as a user.

6) what colours do you think it might be suitable for the product? difficult to clean

i hope you would participate in that survey and give all your ideas and comments that would help me to sort things out with my weirdo product.

Thanks

Alvin :(

Guest robulation

Hey sure, I'll give some input, interesting idea by the way cos toasters are one thing that REALLY needs a redesign.

1) Problems with the toaster available on the market?

You cant see the toast as its cooking, settings aren't clear heat settings (1-6 doesn't mean anything to anyone.

Nice clean, refined design. ceramics(can be translucent!)

Cleaning the @#$@#$ thing is a pain, and they always look over complicated

Simple use and really clean look. perhaps glass

5) what do you think of a combination of both ? on the marker as a designer and as a user.

6) what colours do you think might be suitable for the product?

Either whites, creams(ceramic), charcoal black, a black/grey gun metal would look quite sturdy and well made... depends who you are marketing it at, masculine then what I said before...feminine...I dont know

Hope this helps.

Regards, Rob.

What problem are you solving? Sounds like you decided to do a coffeemachinetoaster and are working back to the research that justifies the solution...which happens but often misses the customer needs.

Is this some sort of breakfast station? Does it make drinking coffee or eating toast a better experience. Does it save space? Can water and heating elements be safely combined? Think about why you are doing something first.

Robulation gave some nice points about the appliances.

Toasters:

Crumb management. How do I get all the seeds and stuff out cleanly after all the bagels I toast.

Coffee makers:

Is there a way to make the procedure less tedious- perhaps a cassette/cartridge of coffee that plugs in and is easily replaced

Guest robulation

oops, missed a question...

A combination of the both seems quite strange...perhaps looking at the link between them both. obviously a breakfast theme, so perhaps really promote it as that.

Rob.

cleaning and removing the bread grains/dust/melted cheese is uncovenient

easy to clean

cleaning problems..

easy to clean :ph34r:

i can imagine that people would like to have the coffee and toast ready at the same time..

6) what colours do you think it might be suitable for the product? difficult to clean

hmm.. white, stainless steel, aluminium...hard to say. pick your target group and research their lifestyles etc..

Guest Henrystarts

Thanks a lot guys. :ph34r:

Well, i thought about my toaster las night, i want a transparent Cylindrical shape toaster where you can put your toast vertically like a drawer, when the toast is cooked it opens by itself. well the halogen heating is very good theres a uniform cooking . i will add a tray below for the crumbs.

it would be better to explain it with a drawing but i can only upload to 100k

Guest papicas

The first thing that popped into my mind when seing the description of your project is that of a japanese company called Matsushita Electrical Industrial designed with IDEO. You can find the project I'm talking about in the "Smart Design - Products that change our lives". It's a complete breakfast set that explores the multipurpose and space saving. For the crumbs and overall appearance check the Porsche toaster. It works really well.

I think that the main relationship between them is heat.

Crums removing and getting the toast right (ok if you use always the same bread, I tend to change varieties of bread and it's always a mess!)

More instinctive marks for toasting

dreadful to clean

Easy to clean

As a consumer, not sure... You already have coffee makers on the market with alarmclock that turns on even if you're still in bed. I'm not sure about multipurpose independant functions: if your toaster breaks down and you want to have it fixed you'll have to pass on the coffee too!

As a designer, I think it's a good exercise for secure functioning and clarity of commands

6) what colours do you think it might be suitable for the product?

Depends on what you're looking for. You can go for a clean aluminium look, or for a more fun and colourful '60s look. You'll have to sort out your target public and market tendencies. Personally: colourful! I'm tired of kitchens that look like operation rooms.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/alvinbizz198...t&_c=photoalbum

hello guys you can check a bit of my works on this site. theres some which is not interesting but you will find my project on that

cheers

alvin

if it doesnt work just give me a buzz

well, as expected, it doesn't work... it's the same old problem with free hosting from geocities, yahoo or msn....

If you're serious about your work and presenting it, get yourself a domain name and hosting service, there's plenty of cheap services available and you won't have any of the problems that you have with free hosting (banners, popups, url's that you can't remember...)

Guest Henrystarts

cheers but :) i cant afford it.am thinking to save my files in jpeg

or i might think of and alternative way.

concerning my project its good quite good

i need some help for the coffee maker

how do we make a proper good coffee?

i might include some more items in my coffee maker such as a hot chocolate and tea?

i will be back later for more details

Guest wenxiang

interesting project... rob give a good suggestion on a breakfast theme product... maybe u can think about combining them both ;)

a suggestion from me will be u can also consider the time u are having the toast or coffee, a product have to be complete upon the time of using and after that... cleaning is one matter while having your toast is also a concerning factor...

could there be a tray for the toast when it is ready? so that people can take the tray instead of the toast? things will be more easily carried out ;)

just a thought in mind.. hope it helps ;)

Guest Henrystarts

hello guys i ve made my first rendering on photosuite

the image is not that good but the idea is a bit a right have a look and your comments please

post-5-1113859609.jpg

Guest Henrystarts

sorry for the bad quality of image but i send you a better idea

this one is done on rhino

hope you could understand

alvin

post-5-1113860106.jpg

Guest Henrystarts

the properties of the toaster.

1. it is transparent you can see throu when the toast is cooking

2.the toaster can be separted from the coffee marker

3.the cap of the toaster changes its colors when he heats (trippin paint)

4. there is no crumbs and there is not need to clean the inside of the toaster.

5.there is a timer which set both the taoster and the coffee machine to stop at the same time(you get your coffee and toast at the same time)

6.it gives a uniform cook there is no burning

7.it saves labour, time but i dont think money

this toaster is design for the use of couple (small family), office and for people who likes to drink good coffee

regards

Alvin

Guest ChristophiaG

4. there is no crumbs and there is not need to clean the inside of the toaster.

How can there be no crumbs..?

5.there is a timer which set both the taoster and the coffee machine to stop at the same time(you get your coffee and toast at the same time)

Wouldn't the toast be burnt by the time the coffee is done?

6.it gives a uniform cook there is no burning

The only thing I can think of is it lowers the toast's temperature at which it cooks, and even then that doesn't sound like it would work very well.

I'm having trouble understanding how these things would work.

Guest Henrystarts
How can there be no crumbs..?

Wouldn't the toast be burnt by the time the coffee is done?

The only thing I can think of is it lowers the toast's temperature at which it cooks, and even then that doesn't sound like it would work very well.

I'm having trouble understanding how these things would work.

thanks christophia,

i might explain it better

1. there is nothing under the toaster it is empty, the toast falls down and slide towords the plate so. you will have you toast ready in your plate. there is no need to clean inside because the toaster produces no crumbs of bit of burnt toast

2. the halogen heat give it a perfect cook, suppose if you want a golden color toast there will be no marks of heavy brown or light brown on it. it will give a uniform cooking. Moverover there is a timer set to the toaster and the coffee machine, lets say it takes 5 mintues to have a good quality coffee and you want a light brown toast(2minutes). the timer will set the coffee machine for 5 minutes and when there is 2minutes left the toaster starts to spin ready to cook.

3. you cook your toaster according to your taste. you set the timer for a light brown and you will have a light brown or if you set it to a dark brown you will get what you want. so there is no need to set the temperature down, the timer will do it for you.

i hope you could understand it and apologise if am being clear in my explanation

Regards,

Alvin

P.s ive attached a rough idea and you can have a visual explanation through it

post-5-1113941810.jpg