Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Br3nd

A Graphics Tablet

Guest Br3nd

Hi there, I'm pretty new to these forums and I'm seeking some advice. I'm off to Uni next year and seeking a reasonably priced graphics tablet. I'm looking for a tablet for under £100 if possible, I'll give the spec of my laptop below.

17" wide screen

Core 2 duo 2.1 GHz processor

4G ram

320gb hard drive (7200rpm)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Guest Br3nd

38 views and no replies? Come on guys, I know you probably get this sort of question all the time and it must get annoying but just a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated so much!

forget the graphics tablet . . . they are more of a pain in the ass really

My friend bought the smallest one, I bought the medium sized one, and my other friend bought the largest one and none of us uses them!

You'll spend more time redoing the same line over and over again so in the end you would be better off just doing it in photoshop.

I sold my graphics tablet and bought a tablet pc and have never looked back . . . cintiq or tablet pc is the only way to go

hmmm as far as a graphics tablet for £100 you might be able to get the cheapest wacom bamboo or graphire . . . check eBay if you really want to go that route

Guest MikeWied

Hey man, just some two cents here. I just bought a Wacom when I got my 17inch laptop. About the same specs as yours I believe. I have photoshop on mine, and I absolutely love it. I'm always on the go or not at my house, so the laptop thing is convenient. anyways, I agree partially with the other guy, sometimes yea you have to redraw the same line over and over, but CS4 has the oh so awesome pen tool, which I honestly don't use. Graphics tablets are awesome if you're just starting to get into the digital sketchbook world. The only thing you have to practice on is getting the eye hand coordination thing down.

As far as a tablet pc goes..If you already have the laptop why even bother. Just go get the cintiq only when you start really really really getting into the photoshop, corel painter, etc. I don't really have photoshop for anything really professional rightnow cause I'm only a mechanical engineering student, but it helps with some of the stuff I do in solidworks. Anyways, I'm not sure about the pressure sensitivity in those tablet pc's, so if you the previous responder would like to share, I would like to know myself since I've contimplated the idea of a tablet pc as well. But I know the cintiq's are like, 1500+, correct me if I'm wrong please.

But since you've kind of heard two sides of the story, if you're really wanting too, just go get an 80 dollar bamboo and see if you even like it drawing on the comp. And if you do, then yea do your research further on tablet pc's and the cintiq.

Guest jmc

Since June 2007, I own a Wacom Intuos3 graphic tablet and really... I'm just wondering why I still have it. I paid 300 CAN$ for it (about 150 pounds). For design sketching, this is EXTREMELY hard to use, because you have to look at the screen while you draw on the tablet, so finally not look where you draw... and this is awful for line works.

Graphic tablets are pretty good for works requiring less precision though. For example, if you sketch on paper first, the tablet and Sketchbook Pro will be pretty useful to make quick coloring and aesthetic lines that aren't meant to be very precise. I also had fun copying some famous paintings and images, but sketching precise lines is almost impossible. It takes about 15 minutes to draw a cube...

I've tried the 21 inches Cintiq at school and I really loved it. But it's over 10 times more expensive than my tablet. But for sketching, nothing even comes close to it, it's simply the best sketching tool ever. But don't expect having one under 1k pounds, even from second hand.

@ Mike . . . im not sure what the pressure sensitivity of the tablet pc's are but they are really good, it depends on the brand though . . . i know toshiba's and fugitsu's are good, and I have heard that some gateway's are also good, stay away from the hp though

there was a thread about tablet pc's not to long ago found here:

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=10279

Guest tede

What you want to get is a Wacom, any other brand and you really are wasting your money.

Wacom do a whole bunch of tablets and there are fairly expensive new for one that worth your while. so considering your budget you might liek to look for a second hand one.

I rock an Intuos3 6x8 and it works for everything, anybigger and the money goes up, and smaller and your limiting your arm movement for sketching lines. However as pervious posts suggest sketching in wacoms is devilishly tricky, but not becaseu of hte wacom.

This actually because most people rotate the paper as they draw, you cnat really rotate your screen/ tablet all that easilly. However all is not lost. Corel painter has the ability to rotate the image your are working on, which makes sketching a doddle. If you buy a Wacom you will also get corel painter essentials bundled in with it

Ive been using my Intuos 3 for a few years now..... and i still cant shake that ' I want a cintiq' feeling. They really are the dogs bollocks. So if you are really serious about design and pc sketching, spend that little bit more and get a Wacom cintiq, again look on ebay. This really is by far and away the best tablet money can by.

Intuos vs graphire - graphire is the simplest 'design' tablet thing i like about it is that you can put images underneath your tablet face on the graphine. but the bottons and sensitivity of hte intuos do make it a superior tool.

A side note too, once you get that hang of the tablet everything becomes much faster than using a mouse. I mention this becasue people always talk about photoshop and painter, but i run alot of CAD, mainly solidworks and rhino, autocad when i cant avoid it, and its is MUCH quicker and alot easiler on the arm after 8 hours of surfacing!

Anyway as they say, the choice is yours. Good luck. .....................and get a cintiq, really is THE best. there is a dude on here Cash68 i htink that managed to repair an old cintiq very economically, might be worth PMing him....

hope this helps

tede

Guest Br3nd

Thanks s much for all your input guys. I'll probably go for a wacom bamboo...not sure which bamboo yet but I'll come to that at some point. When I get one, I'll review it and post here for any other tablet newbies :)

Guest MikeWied

Just to fill in once again, now based upon experience with both tablets and tablet pc's.

Wacom Tablet:

Pros-

More pressure sensitivity, atleast from what I can tell.

Many sizes

Programmable buttons

I like the bigger stylus

Nothing to restrict hand movement off of drawing area

Very reasonable price ranges for their line of tablets. I got a bamboo just to try out for 80. If I was a pro artist, you bet your ars I would pay for a Cintiq 21ux

Cons:

Eye/ Hand cooridination, might be a problem. Solid lines drawn a lot to get right.

I just wish all of them were wireless.

Would like to be able to use all their pens interchangably with tablet pcs.

Tablet PC's (Based off HP tx2110us/ Wacom digitizer)

Pros-

Screen size would be a the same as a Cintiq 12wx

Always nice to be able to sketch on screen

I really don't notice any difference in pressure sensitivity, but again I've never had the chance to use 2000+ levels.

People that don't know anything about it, think it's the coolest thing they've ever seen lol.

Cons-

Pen that comes with PC might be kinda small for some.

-Only one stylus button, ones that you have to buy have two I believe?

Pretty heavy to just a sketchbook

Bezel can get in the way

Atleast on this model, you CAN NOT program the quicklaunch buttons for photoshop based commands.

N-Trig digitizer on the newer models won't support CS4 or Painter X or 11.

-Screen grainy and viewing angle is horrible, better off getting a Wacom digitizer.

Screen fragile, dont' drop it.

I feel the need to recalibrate the stylus quite often.

I think that's it that I can think of.

Guest JelleT

Did you buy one yet?

What you're going to want is a Tablet larger or equal to A5, it has to be a Wacom no doubts.

Since 100 pounds is your pricetag, don't bother buying a Cintiq.

I have a Wacom Graphire 3 A5 at home and have been working with it for 6 years now, I don't feel like I need anything better. Worked with a Intuos 2 A5 at an internship couple of years back and am now working an a Intuos 2 A4 at work. I have to say the intuos does have a better feel than the graphire. But what you don't know, you don't notice. College of mine works on a Intuos 3 A4 and that one does have a more 'paper' feel to it than my Intuos 2.

What I noticed about the Cintiq though is that when you work with larger canvas, there seems to be a time delay when you draw a line. Thats really buggin me out. This also happends with normal Tablets offcourse but not as soon as on a Cintiq.

So tip:

Buy a second hand Intuos 2 or 3 for 100 pounds if you'd rather buy a new tablet go with the Wireless A5 (that used to be the ''Graphire line)

Other option is the Bamboo A5 same price as the Wireless A5 but since the Wireless has a Li-ion battery anyways, I would go for the Wireless.

Hope this helps, good luck with the Wacom tablet its really improved my sketches a lot.

Hi, sorry to bump this up again.

Is this tablet ok? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bamboo-MTE45...0/ref=de_a_smtd

I dont have a huge budget at all, but I'd like to have a go at using a tablet to sketch.

Also, what software can it be used in?

I'll be honest - I wouldn't waste your time. The Bamboo is probably OK for super light tablet work, better for office type apps and photo retouching then it would be for sketching.

I bought a little Graphire tablet years ago and it was 99% worthless. I wound up selling it to a very small girl that I went to school with (like 4'11" small) and she seemed to have better luck with it.

If you want to sketch I would suggest either waiting and investing in an Intuos, knowing you would use it for a long time, or skip it. You're welcome to try it, but my personal feelings is it's going to be too small to do much good.

Guest Cig

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I realised after I posted it was A6, when the consensus seems to be only A5+ is suitable.