Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest aldo56

My First Folio....

Guest madison
Just updated my folio.

Any feedback?

Cool, the seat is a good idea. Especially with the rain in glasgow.

Guest aldo56
Just updated my folio.

Any feedback?

Cool, the seat is a good idea. Especially with the rain in glasgow.

Thanks man, that glasgow rain isn't fun!

I've had a fair few fews but no comments? Anyone else?

Guest the sea cabbage

Its good mate.

Perhaps with your CAD rendering of your wheelchair ramp you could place it in a simple environment. Try to mock up a set of stairs or a railway station.

You could also do the same for the photograph you have shown of your prototype, which looks awsome. It would explain the product straight away and show it off better than folded inside a classroom. Write and ask a local trainstation or school if you can give it a go.

Hope it helps.

Guest freximus

Allan,

Couple of things I think are important regarding your portfolio.

Your strengths seem to lean more towards the engineering side of product design... I saw multiple explosion views and complex mechanical assemblies. This is a great strength to have and it will allow you to progress as an industrial designer faster than an 'artsy' designer could.

That being said, its time to devote your engineer brain towards the craft of illustration and line quality. As a designer in a 4th year of your program you should already be an 'expert' at drawing and visual presentation. However, i find the illustrations to be so poor that they detract from the meaning of the product.

Even if you don't feel as though you can draw very well, take the time learn. Remember, drawing is a skill. Anyone can do it, it just takes miles and miles of lines.

Regarding the computer illustrations: renders should be in perspective... even explosion views. Isometric just looks wrong, and in the case that you've trained your eye to believe that isometric looks right, you need to spend time drawing things in perspective to re-train your brain.

The bench renderings are very poor. Try rerendering with more care towards material selection and lighting. Use parel's render tutorials to help set up your scenes.

Hope this helps!

Fred

Guest aldo56

Thanks guys, it's great to get some feedback.

Fred: I know what you mean on the drawing front, i do feel they let me down. I've been working on them recently on a number of projects but i haven't gotten round to updating them yet. Thanks for the compliments on the engineering front!

I'll keep working on it and get back to you!

Guest Ryan McGinley
Updated! Got a few projects finished off recently

Hey Aldo,

seems like you're getting some good feedback. I agree with the CAD being your strongest skill. I think you could add some sketchwork to the climate seat bench part of the folio.

Im gonna be doing my folio tomorrow, so hopefully get some crit in the next few days...

Ryan