Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mappdaniel

Compact Kitchen

Guest mappdaniel

My minor project for my final year of my degree.

Sorry in advance for the images being spread over many posts i have tried resizing them as much as possible

post-21864-1236793762.jpg

Guest Grant Howarth

Nice work, I like the idea of a centralised kitchen, mainly because i have a tiny kitchen. Also because it would be away from the walls it would be easier to clean/maintain. Very interesting project. Is that a built in fridge (remember that fridges need space to get rid of heat at the back, perhaps this could heat water for the taps)? How much would this cost? Would the cost be significantly less than all seperate products? (my guess is yes)

One thing that does get to me though is how easy it would be to burn yourself on the hob. Perhaps the hob could be indented into the surface which would allow a fold up cover to cover it when not in use, this would also open up more eating/surface space. Just a thought, because my girlfriend accidentally leaned on one of those things and they give severe burns in < 1 second. Esp when kids are supposed to be near the product.

Overall, nice project, nice presentation and nice renders (what did you use for renders?)

Guest kaiza

I don't like to be harsh, but:

What is the depth of the chair seats? How do they fold?

What is the effect of heat on formica?

Where is the compressor/condenser for the fridge located?

How does the user control the temperature of the taps?

Also, it's spelled infrared.

Guest mappdaniel

Thankyou for yor comments.

Formica is resitant up to atleast 180 degrees surface temperature which i why i have glass sheet on the top of the work surface as the heat from place a pan directly on the couter would be to much.

The fridge compressor is placed at the rear underneath of the fridge, it is not clear in the renders but there is a space between the back of the fridge and the unit.

Again the taps i have not explained well, the tap has a swith halfway down it which the user can twist to adjust temperature, this switch is flush with the surface of the tap.

Spelling...my bad

@ Grant

good points on the hobs i had looked into raising them of the surface more but not lowering them and the cover would be worth a though aswell cheers.

all modelled in solidworks and rendered in maxwell.

Thanks guys i appreciate the feedback

Guest AutomóvilVerde

This is a really cool project.

My favorite part are the folding chairs, but they look a bit small, depth wise....

As for the oven, there doesn't seen to be much space. But being from US, we probably have bigger appliances...

For the fridge you could do what Grant said, and use the heat for the water, that way you would save move space for storage.

what is the purpose of the rounded corners ? I think you lose very important space on these points.

and are you sure you made this sketches before the projects ? :) they are like made in same day and they belong to the same specific idea.

Did you look at for studio kitchens projects on the net ? i remember some very good projects presented in designboom's competitions. Look at them for more effective space usage.