Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SNEAKYWHALE

A2 Level Design And Technology - Wooden Bicycle Frame

Guest SNEAKYWHALE

Having seen a previous topic about an A2 design project I decided to share mine as well! I would greatly appreciate any comments you have especially regarding the sketching as this is the bit I can really change at this stage.

The frame is made from wood, it is largely a ply construction, the ply has been bent in a former to create the upper and lower curves of the frame. It turned out incredibly strong and surprisingly light when it was cut down to shape! the seat tube and head tube block are made from some oak that was going spare from a previous unclaimed project from the school (lucky me) I have bought in a piece of aluminium tubing for the head tube, an aluminium bottom bracket cup and some steel drop-outs as I don't have the facilities to make these at school!

I will add some more pictures as and when I have them throughout the production process, here are a few to get started!!

post-26513-1236540835.jpg

post-26513-1236540855.jpg

post-26513-1236540881.jpg

Guest AutomóvilVerde

What is a A2 design project?

Looks like a cool concept.

Guest SNEAKYWHALE

A2 is the second year of A-Level studies, I'm 18 in year 13 at school in the Uk - off to university next year if that puts it into perspective for you!!

Great job- the formed parts look great, but the vertical post looks makeshift. It looks like it could use some chamfers or material reduction if possible. The rest of the frame looks lightweight while the seat post looks so heavy. It would be interesting to do a variation or two with some variation in form.

Perhaps the wood in gun stocks might be a good resource to look at possibilities as they have all kinds of recoil shock going through them

ak-47.jpg

Guest kutty

I am part of a team that needs to keep updated on many projects as they develop and progress. I need a system that we can use to keep track of these projects.

What do you use to keep track of your own team projects

================================================================

USB-Sticks

games4girls

Guest woli

Hey,

This is really cool for an A-Level project! Were you thinking of studying design at university? There are a few elements of this design that show both a good understanding of form and engineering.. a good mix!

I agree with Parel regarding the seatpost. I know how it is though, there's one component of my degree project that I simply didn't have time to fully optimise and consider and so it remains quite clunky even though the rest of it is fairly fluid looking.

How does it ride?

Oli

Guest dobermann

@#$@#$ it, now i am realy jealous( from a good side). I can imagine what things i could create with these materials and equipment.

Nice pics, interesting model, except vertical part for seat, it could be more ''shapy''.

Guest TSCOTT

Hey Sneakywhale,

I recently built a wooden bike frame myself. Built in a different way though. One thing I´m curious about is how it rides. Did you get any flex when riding?

Take a look at my topic, Embira Bike, it´s in finished projects. It would be cool to see videos if you have any.

cheers

TSCOTT

Guest SNEAKYWHALE

Firstly thanks for all the comments and sorry I haven't replied to some sooner!!

TSCOTT - there was no noticeable flex in the frame, the problems I found were I didn't quite get the geometry of the frame right so it doesn't handle as well as it could and also the frame was incredible heavy mainly because I ran out of time on the project to remove more of the excess wood (especially on the seat-post tube) - Unfortunately I don't think there are any videos of the bike in action, if I get one I will be sure to post it up for you to see

Woli - I have just started at Bournemouth Uni studying Design Visualisation (formerly called Computer Aided Product Design) so there probably wont be a second generation frame for a while but maybe some good CAD models!!

Mappdaniel - What did you design/make at A-level then?? I think I got lucky with this project as a new teacher came to the school who was almost as obsessed with bicycles as I was!!

If anyone has any links to the cycling design industry I would love to hear from you as, the ultimate goal will be to be designing bicycle for a living (well you can always dream)