Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

[merged]nex Gen Cadillac 4 -door Hatch Concept ( Cts-x)

You mentioned that `it is inside, that counts`. How can it count, if I am drawing exteriors? I agree that form follows function, but I couldn`t find a single glitch where a form would contradict or hamper any of a normal routine car functions on my designs. the doors can be opened, the lid on the rear wheel arches is removable( akin to Cadillac Voyage concept). So where do you see that car`s function would hamper any function? By the way for me it is more important to show the continuation of lines, and aesthetic connection places of details, than placing nice shadows. As long as any picture allows me to understand the shape exactly, I don`t care if it is done by Paint or mascara.Just because so many of designers here are able to make nice flashy pictures with women standing in front of them, doesn`t relate to the actual professionalism of the due car design.Some of th designs here I have noticed partly disappear either in darkness or flashy paint spots, so we even can not precisely know where a door would be, etc.I am trying to say that many designers here are very poster-like artists. But a car company is interested in details, as well, not nice backgrounds. Of course, i would like to spend more time amd learn how to design on computer programs. But I believe that like creation of music, and a beautiful voice can`t be really tought only steered out of an imborn talent......plus hard work!

But a car company is interested in details, as well, not nice backgrounds

Car design goes through phases. The purpose of those early sketches is to show emotion, form, or flesh out specific details.

The reason you see many sketches that "fade out" is because the designer wants to focus the viewers eye in a specific area to say "hey this grille shape, or this profile is whats really important about this sketch" not "hey the parting line from the trunk should curve at a 60 degree angle right here"

Details are there to resolve the purity of forms. Any great car design has a pure form that's then sculpted in a way that the details are resolved with clarity and consistency that matches the original design.

Your designs all seem to have a mentality of "hey this goes here, and then I can put something else different here, and a different shape here, and a third shape here, and a 4th shape here."

The last design you posted had these razor sharp tail lights that are then sitting next to smoothly radiused fenders. No elements really seem to follow anything else. If I had to pick out the one good element of the entire design it would be how the fender line flows into the cut on the doors. That's actually a nice detail that could be worked around the car. It's nice because it flows into something else, rather than fighting with it.

The more those details fight each other the less "harmony" you have and the more the design becomes overwhelming and busy. If you find one nice detail then think about how that detail should be reflected in everything else. What lines can flow into one another.

Think of it this way: If you were to disassemble your design into all of it's different parts, lights, bumpers, fenders, doors, glass: And then put it all into a big pile with a bunch of other car parts. Then go into a room with a bunch of strangers and see if they can actually reassemble your design. I dont think they could - because one panel goes to the next and then doesn't carry any of it's design elements over.

I agree with your point on the rear lights, i don`t like them either being sharp and pointed. And i don`t like that the rear fender has three lines over each other, but hey, look at Mercedes, they have more wrinkles than my grandma`s forehead. thanks.( by the way, motorola v8 /v9 has too huge of a gap around panel of buttons. Can you tell me why?)

Guest Kaiyuan

I'm sorry if you didn't understand when I said it was the inside that counts. I don't mean interior. Interiror design is a whole different subject. I actually mean the meaning of the design itself, like the purpose, just like a person's personality/ability. I never said you had to draw flashy pretty shapes. What you're doing right now is really pretty decent. You mentioned your design is innovative, like the Skyline, but through my eyes, innovative is like a redefined function or a convenience in the design, as well as having good form. The doors open like a regular door. I think every car does that. I don't exactly see how that is innovative. Maybe the door opens and stairs slide out as it opens, although that applies to a monster/truck like vehicle, but catch my drift? It just seems that you concentrate a lot about the appearance of the vehicle rather than innovation through the function. I guess it isn't required to put new functions in a design. Sure, make it pretty. People will buy it. But in my opinion, adding convenience and ergonomical functions will help reinforce the design itself.

Sorry if it seems like I'm bagging on you, but I'm not. I'm just someone who is a stickler about form following function.

Guest Fran

Man...what can I say...u need to study and be trained before talk and draw about design, so please, go to study design!

No offense

Cya

Guest Taro

I just took the time to read from page 1-5, and I find it interesting, and I also learned alot about car designing.

however, I need to repeat/point out some things I noticed through out this topic:

1. I find that your 15 year old drawing was nicer than your most recent ones, and I would blame the lack of practice, and the abuse of technology.

2. You seem to be ignoring many comments, especially the critical ones.

3. you are way too self-centered and over-confident lol, I notice it from how you put up a picture of yourself on the first page.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope that when you are criticizing the cars that already exists in the market today, you consider that :

1. people put in a lot of effort to make it happen.

2. what you consider new and creative looks ugly to me, and the cars that your criticized, I think they were better b4 you 'liquified'

3. I believe designers are suppose to be designing for others, not themselves. You sound like you are designing for yourself. Why aren't you researching the car market right now, and learn what people really want.

4. you like to criticize the brands? well, that explains why they are up in society, and their designs are running on the road... while you are still sitting here. Your designs are not fitting where the world is going.

I remember a long time ago that someone told me.. ID sketches are not something you hang on the wall, but they are tools for communication. Your pictures should attract me to look at it, then teach me about whatever that is on the paper. At this moment, its not having that effect.

no offense, but hope you listen and consider.

p.s. Your computer skills and sketching skills are bad right now. I noticed that you said.. you don't want to PAY for a design program because you are just copy and pasting" -stick with ms painter-