Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

[merged]nex Gen Cadillac 4 -door Hatch Concept ( Cts-x)

Guest Grant Howarth

I quite like Corel Painter 11, provided you have a GOOD pad its almost like sketching. but aye, sketching pen/paper is a good way to learn (however, in the UK markers are rediculously expensive given their pathetic lifespan hence i tend to use software which requires only one payment)

I have some minor crits about your designs. I find them a bit "too" much. Call me boring but I like to think that design should in some manner develop from market desires.. why not get some people together and have a focus group on what features they would like their car to have. Even if it is just friends/mates, this will ground you in reality (not saying that is a MUST, but just if you want to sell designs) and give you some ideas to work from. I can see you're really creative, but sometimes creativity manifests itself chaotically. What you might benefit from is by taking these wild/creative ideas and thinking about how you could implement them in a way that would actually sell on the market now, or in 5 years time. Have a look at market trends and try to predict the next one. I mean, are your designs purely aesthetic? or do they serve a purpose, some of them actually look like they would add a lot of friction.

If you are just doing these sketches for creative purposes then ignore anything im saying and by all means continue expressing your creativity. Some of these cars would make pretty awesome Transformers ;)

I hope this doesn't come accross negatively, as that is not my intention, just some ideas (not advice) that may help you develop your designs further.

Where could I get a free Alias Sketch Pro programme? Don`t feel like paying for someone doing copy -paste crap/.Thanks!

Where could I get a free Alias Sketch Pro programme? Don`t feel like paying for someone doing copy -paste crap/.Thanks!

Professional tools cost money for a reason.

Art Rage is a good tool which only costs $25 - otherwise their is GIMP, an open source utility which I believe has a Windows version available.

Guest cHarLz

Advanced boy,

I believe you asked for comments in your first post.. These guys are just trying to help you by giving you comments and you seem to be too stubborn to listen. Please consider what these guys have said and have your say.

I think you shouldn't bother getting a copy of Alias sketchbook pro or corel painter since you do not own a tablet. It will be such a waste since you are required to use a tablet to be able to draw well in them.

Rather than spending your money on the software, I suggest get a copy of scott robertson's dvd on 'basic perspective'. He's brilliant and he throws a lot of useful tips and trick that you can use.

If you didn't want to spend money, just draw with ur pen on a piece of paper. It will be much more cost effective.

Good luck.

Ok, I will do some papersketches. But I am queiet familiar with perspective. See, when I download papersketches, they are photgraphed, not scanned, and they get distorted a bit as I HAVE TO PICTURE THEM FROM AN ANGLE IN ORDER TO AVOID A SHADOW.tHANKS FOR TIPS.aND IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONVERT A REGULAR LCD INTO A TABLET ONE?

Until I ge a sketcjinh program, I will have to use the average one I have, so don`t judge so much the pixels, as the design itself. Thanx!

post-28725-1238264001.jpg

The design looks like the combination of a jeep, an Infiniti, and a Cadillac. There are details that are just flat out odd, like the big hump in the belt line above your front door handles.

Good car designs let your eye flow from front to back, this design has so many lines and creases on each panel that it makes you look at a panel, then look at the next one, and wonder if they're actually even from the same thought.

PS: Avoid putting nonsensical political text in your drawings. A rendering should be about a design, not a presentation of your opinions.

I am just trying to put some new elements in car design, otherwise I am bored with those sort of nice designs, nice colours, and variations of non-inventive shapes. I even don`t care if your car is nicely coloured or looks realistic, i want the @#$@#$ innovation in details and design, and I want it to be done harmoniously and proportinately. For example, look, how innovative is nissan Gt-R , and how headache boring is Porsche with its eternal nonsense evolution. The beauty of a design is in proportions, harmony and quality detailing, that`s why I will always consider,for example, the new Nissan Micra a design masterpiece, but Mini a piece of crap.Sorry, it is my humble opinion.

I am just trying to put some new elements in car design, otherwise I am bored with those sort of nice designs, nice colours, and variations of non-inventive shapes. I even don`t care if your car is nicely coloured or looks realistic, i want the @#$@#$ innovation in details and design, and I want it to be done harmoniously and proportinately. For example, look, how innovative is nissan Gt-R , and how headache boring is Porsche with its eternal nonsense evolution. The beauty of a design is in proportions, harmony and quality detailing, that`s why I will always consider,for example, the new Nissan Micra a design masterpiece, but Mini a piece of crap.Sorry, it is my humble opinion.

If your humble opinion is all you'll ever listen to, you will never make it as a designer.

No one ever said you had to draw a Porsche 911. If you look at the portfolios of aspiring car designers you'll see that while some may be rehasing the same old, same old - many are looking at radically different proportions and shapes then you'll see coming out of the show room.

With that said nothing about your designs says "harmony". You've taken a MS paint sketch with no resolution of details and slapped it on top of an existing car design! If your designs were so unique, you would be sketching on paper starting from your own designs. What you've done was glue some fender flares onto someone elses car and hoped that people saw how innovative and unique it was.

If you want to be taken seriously, start sketching on paper. You don't need any expensive software to create a great car sketch, just a pen and some paper.

Guest newt @ MWE

I think the point is being missed here. I would love to add in my 2 cents, but feel it will be a waste of breath (or finger strength). Going back to what was said a while ago, you've got to lose the attitude!

There have been some harsh and un-helpful critiques through this thread and I don't condone that at all. However, there has also been much helpful advice which has just been argued with and not listened to. Instead of making excuses and/or saying that you know this and are great at it (a camera didn't mess up the perspective and we all know it) work on the perspective. If you don't want to work at it, it's not going to improve.

I am all for breaking the mold and not simply replicating what exists today. Through this is the only real way to actually progress anything. With that said, dropping a few design terms like proportion, innovation, detailing, elements does not mean that those aspects have been looked at or considered. Cutting and pasting aspects of one car to another does not achieve these things. Bending and adding lines does not achieve these things either. Im not a big fan of the new Micra, but i can respect that it has been though out and does contain actual elements of design.

and for christ sakes, innovation is rarely achieved through form. There are maybe 50 objects from the industrial revolution forward that have actually been innovative throught form. don't drop that as a buzz word.

newt

Guest Kaiyuan

"The beauty of a design is in proportions, harmony and quality detailing" you said.

The appearance is not everything. Appearance should be the last thing you think about when designing something.

Form Follows Function.

From what I see, one of the biggest things you concentrate (and probably only) on is styling and breaking the mold of the everyday norm. Good design has to balance quality, aesthetics, and most of all, function. No matter how innovative, pretty, outrageous, or groundbreaking a design is, the function still has to rule up.

Look don't count, it's what's on the inside that counts.

About the car:

The covered fender needs a shadow underneath it. The design seems more Cadillac than Lincoln, except for the bottom of the rear bumper and most of the side. That little indent or jog above the front passenger handle seems just wrong. First of all, it looks to be more than 2 inches (if from a realistic point of view) higher than the handle, and the indent just looks strange and serves no function, unless you want to minimize your view around the vehicle little by little.

That's my two cents and my humble opinion that I am entitled to.