Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

[merged]nex Gen Cadillac 4 -door Hatch Concept ( Cts-x)

I find it interesting that you are posting all of these sketches as different American car companies - yet every one lacks any of those brands more definining elements. If this is a Ponitiac shouldn't it have the double kidney grille?

I would spend some time on sites like car design techniques and see what makes a good car design sketch. I won't even get in to critiquing the forms which to say the least are very out-there.

thanks m y camera is also doing some distortions, because I am not scanning but photographing my sketches. And this sketch has a merged kidney grille. So Pontiac should take a new direction and differ a bit more from BMW designwise.

Guest Kaiyuan

Now this is nice.

I like the line weight and quality because its clean and not chicken scratchy like how a lot of us started out with.

I agree, work on the perspective a little, unless it really is the camera distortion.

One thing: It's a Pontiac, and Pontiacs are American. In the car, I'm seeing a little asian style flowing in. Also, you said it's a small, agile vehicle, but the width is not portraying it as well as the length of the car is, which is a good length for agility.

Question: What is the white smudge thing by the side?

advanceboy, fix your attitude.

and everyone else, criticism is fine as long as its constructive.

Give reasons why he should be sketching instead of photoshopping.

@Buick Mu Cephet

Aside from that.

I thought it looked pretty cool, except the nose.

The entire car seems somewhat well rendered, except the front looks unfinished, and as if you erased a chunk of it.

I agree with you on one thing, i am sick and tired of seeing 'car designers' draw the same stuff over and over again. With their sleek sports car shapes.

However, people dont want to see logical possible now cars.

BECAUSE

as a car designer your not designing for now, you are tryin to predict and design for the future, approx 10-15years from now.

---

I just looked at your other threads, i think your styling is far too aggressive and wild for you.

Its cool, but i dont think you are read for it.

I personally feel that you should work on simpler shapes so that you can get good perspective.

And then once you get perspective down, then you can move on and do all these wild and funky stuff.

***Oh and im gonna merge all your topics into one.

(except for your Dodge Ruthenium Concept)

Thanks for merging all these together sketchyd- much clearer.

To do complex forms right is difficult. The forms have to make sense together and need to have strength.

Regarding camera distortion: no way. That distortion is localized and the ellipse is off. The way to get the most out of the forums is to listen- especially on technical advice. As a designer you should explore odd forms- I like the fact that your sketch style is different. It is great that you actually build. I think the key with flamboyant form language is that you have to establish trust with the viewer. With the bad perspectives, I dont get the idea that you know exactly what your form is doing.

Also there are two things here- the accuracy of your sketch, and the design itself. Most of these designs in my eyes are far too fussy, especially for an American brand. Try and keep things greyscale, so that the emotional aspect of color does not hinder you. You should be exploring form. If people are distracted by the fact that you are chopping or that you have bad perspective, rectify the distractions.

i am a bit surprised that you didn`t try to appreciate any elements implemented in my sketches. I don`t try to do flashy pointless sketches that don`t have design elements in them that would be new. Most of the designs and sketches I observe here,lack any new design elements, mostly just colourful exercises of bulging proportions . But would like to see how you joint 2 parts together, in what places,at what angles and what continum. IAm currently working on a minivan for Cadillac, and if someone wanted to help me on how to work better on Adobe ,especially merging colours , I would appreciate it. Thanx!

I have some friends who are interior designers but if you mess up and call them interior decorators they flip out. Why? Because decorators throw pillows on couches, paint walls, and buy pretty vases. They don't design, they decorate.

I think you are in danger of being an automotive decorator instead of a designer. You have all these crazy design elements that don't really serve any purpose nor do they add to the aesthetics of your vehicle. Take a look a some more automotive design out there. I'm no expert but I am a consumer and I know what I would buy and what I wouldn't.

I agree with shetchyd you need to chill out and listen to other peoples advice, they are only trying to help you out. I thought your Caddilac was surprisingly well done but from then on it looks like most of your designs sat out in the desert to long and melted under the sun . . . sorry but true

I think your problem is that you lack a fundamental understanding of proper form development . . . design elements incorporated into vehicles need to have some fluidity and consistency throughout the design and this is why its not surprising that many people have questioned your aesthetic choices. Your sketchwork illustrates that your perspective work is the first thing that needs improvement, from then you could stand to work on your line weight to give your sketches some more dynamism, your lines weights visually look slow and shaky which suggests that your stroke gestures lack confidence . . . only once you master these should you explore complex surfacing.

I'm not saying that messing around in photoshop isn't fun and creative, in fact sometimes you can come up with some neat stuff, but what you lack is a proper education in Industrial Design or Transportation Design which will teach you the reasoning behind the aesthetic choices designers make when designing a vehicle. You should be able to describe your reasoning for each line on a vehicle more than simply "i thought it looked cool" because this will ensure you carry a consistent theme in the design

I do not claim to know what your intentions are career wise, but what I do know is that a company like GM will not pay you to photoshop existing cars, and your sketch work is no where near what is required to become a car designer yet. . . with some practice you might just have what it takes, who know. Do yourself a favor though and check out the portfolios on www.cardesignnews.com to see what caliber of designers you are up against if you are even considering automotive design

A lot of the people on here are professional designers so its only to your benefit to learn from what they have to say

Guest Skint

Agree completly with Vanders comments. Listening to critisism is sometimes difficult to do, but it pays off longterm !!

How F*****g good are some of those portfolio`s on www.cardesignnews.com :)

Ok guys, what do you think, could I use Sketch Pro program for sketching or some other program? Is there any free program I could get for sketching designs? And I don`t mind criticism, but if there is only criticism, it is destructive and discouraging. But even don`t hope that I would give up! Over my dead body! :)))) And thanxs for help! Iw ill also post some pics of manufacturers whose cars I will analyze from design prospective as I understand it.

We're not criticizing how you do your design, we just have issues with your designs. By no means should you quit and I'm glad you're not.

Forget about the sketching program, photoshop, or whatever; focus on improving what you're drawing. Forget the tools and work on the design.

forget the tools, like photoshop or sketchbook pro, or ANY computer program.

the best tool for best control = traditionally pen and paper.

so START HERE with pen and paper.