Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
scorpio.tn1

Scorpio.tn1 Work

aw, thought i was onto a winner there :(

perhaps i should have cleared up a few issuses.

( the JCB Thermo Flask , came about from the drawings for the coin sorter, its a failed design that i thought would work better on its own as a Thermo Flask " Built for Builders Brew" it would be a rugged Thermoflask for construction sites. created with Black rubber, plastic and metal's

it has an angled top to it, (not flat ), not sure if viewers can see that or not :s

you say its looking Flat , can you show me how to make it stand out please ??

---

this is a project ive been working on for a while now. its another Uni project and the final hand in date is in less than a week.

the whole point was to create a "gravitional coin sorter" ive got Shed loads of sketchs trying to work out form, mechinism, function, who to market it too, price, materials it will be made from, the sound it will make when in operation. ive also built test models and i have certain aspects working.

here are the issues ive had to address from my reaseach.

1. Hopper - user can dump a handfull of coins into

2. orintation of coins - geting the coins from a lump to roll on there sides one after the other

3. sorting of each coin - spliting the coins into groups ( 8 coins in total )

4. holding chambers per coin - sorted coins sotred in stacks / chambers

5. collection of desierd coins.

i have lots of different designs i could have gone done. but ive stuck with the Coin sorter in a cup idea because i think it will be highly marketable. it will look like a noraml coffee cup, and as you deposit a handfull of coins in the top, they will be sorted into 8 chambers, then with a simple twist action the user can pick and retrive the coins of there choice.

when i have more time after my Uni Hand-in dates il upload the development work etc.

if you wana know more about it, just ask :P

Guest Taro

i want to 'see' more of it : ) thats for sure

hmm, regarding to.. 'how to make it not flat"

if you are talking about the whole sketch in general, then the two very basic thing that will make it really pop out are:

1. correct perspective/form (it has to make sense to our eyes)

2. proper line weight (comes after the form)

i've noticed this alot when I was drawing cars. I thought I already drew so many lines and boxes, but i don't understand the correct form of a car.... therefore, doesn't matter how good my lines or curves or rendering are.... it looks wrong! and it is sooooo easy for anyone to pick out the mistakes.

Wouldnt it be a better idea for you to upload all your development work now?

So that you can get a last minute crit before its due?

Of course you woudlnt have the time to do a complete rehaul, but at least youll be able to fix or improve upon what you have.

IF you plan to upload all your development stuff.

Make it into a clean single .zip file or a PDF file, so it easy to understand for everyone.

(PDF preferred)

And name the file appropriately.

some drawings of the inner workings.

and does the new renders look any better, tried to draw it from a different angle.

where as with the JCB flask render it was drawen front on.

Peek-A-Boo :ph34r:

post-28200-1241714189.jpg

post-28200-1241714206.jpg

When did u say this was due again?

What year are you in?

Just curious

mm, i sence a lack of faith in my drawing ability.

its due in on Tuesday, 12th May.

im in my 2nd year.

---

just a note, i love the advice everyone gets here, and im perfectly fine with taking crit's it doesnt knock me down.

i just think that sometimes that on these Forums the bar is set at a very high standard. i agree i have no "Feild experiance"

and a few my drawings look bad. but i can only improve .. right ? :S

i think that becuse your not able to see all the work together as a whole some sketchs alone look like crap.

Im from the UK by the way if that helps.. im not sure if the work standard in other countrys is set alot higher ?

i know i have a lot to improve apon. but that being said i always score the highest in my class for Charater and Product/industrial design releated projects.

in first year for Introduction to 3D - character design, where i had to build that clay model etc. i scored a 64/100 which was the higest grade for the class. only 6 marks short of a "1st" ( if your unclear of UK univerisity grading system il be happy to explain)

for second year / sem.1 i scored a 59 which is a drop in marks, and wasnt the highest in the class but i was among the top 5 people a 67 being the highest. i lost marks on some presentation issues. and some more development was needed.

(i feel i could have scored alot higher for the project if i was to tacle it again )

for second year / sem.2 im working on this coin sorter project, with one to one tutoring and being able to talk to my tutor he seems to really like my work, he loves that i tackled the coin sorter in a cup idea. and i think he wants me to take it to the next stage privatley once the project is complete. im expecting a high 60 for this project. im not so worryed about the drawing at this point but the fact of actually building creating an actuall prototype model to show.

another think id like to metion is that my couse is not just dealing with issues with product / I.Design. its quite a broad based course teaching skills in, animation, graphic, 3D, imagemaking, typographic, multimedia design, drawing.

---

i love all the advice i get here, i want it to keep coming, i want to learn and get better at what i do.

i think one the problems i have is i dont explain enough what i upload to you guys to view.

sometimes tho i get the impression that you guys think that my work is on par with a 4 year old ... :S

hopefully you guys can help me up my game !!

thankyou for all your time guys.

When did u say this was due again?

What year are you in?

Just curious

mm, i sence a lack of faith in my drawing ability.

its due in on Tuesday, 12th May.

im in my 2nd year.

---

just a note, i love the advice everyone gets here, and im perfectly fine with taking crit's it doesnt knock me down.

i just think that sometimes that on these Forums the bar is set at a very high standard. i agree i have no "Feild experiance"

and a few my drawings look bad. but i can only improve .. right ? :S

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I just wanted some background information. As a person, i think you work hard. And continually try to improve. I didnt mean to knock you down, i was more curious as to what the SCHOOL is teaching you and how they are teaching you and the students.

i think that becuse your not able to see all the work together as a whole some sketchs alone look like crap.

Im from the UK by the way if that helps.. im not sure if the work standard in other countrys is set alot higher ?

I dont know what the UK standards are and again ill say drawing perfect sketches means nothing if you cant communicate your ideas. HOWEVER, learning perspective and values and basically the FOUNDATIONS is important. I, like many others here are trying to point out the things that are wrong and helping you fix them.

However, I know I am guilty of being a bit more harsher than others.

i know i have a lot to improve apon. but that being said i always score the highest in my class for Charater and Product/industrial design releated projects.

its always a good thing to compare yourself to your classmates, but as a future professional, you shoudlnt become content with being better than your classmates especially if the class high is a mere 70/100. I dont know what the UK standards are. But in general Math, that is a 70% or in the US standards a C-. I dont know how much you want to improve on a personal level, but i would think you want to be A level.

in first year for Introduction to 3D - character design, where i had to build that clay model etc. i scored a 64/100 which was the higest grade for the class. only 6 marks short of a "1st" ( if your unclear of UK univerisity grading system il be happy to explain)

Really? Are you trying to say, that you are content and satisfied with your skillevel cuz you marked a 64%? I mean its your own personal values. I cant say much about it. But if that is 'good enough' for you then I, myself will have to critque you with a different mindset and method. Cuz, sadly, I cant expect you to do much more than a 60-70% level of work.

for second year / sem.1 i scored a 59 which is a drop in marks, and wasnt the highest in the class but i was among the top 5 people a 67 being the highest. i lost marks on some presentation issues. and some more development was needed.

(i feel i could have scored alot higher for the project if i was to tacle it again )

Please tell us the UK standards, cuz i dont know how anyone could be satisfied with a 50-60% score on anything. thats like borderline D to F here in the states.

for second year / sem.2 im working on this coin sorter project, with one to one tutoring and being able to talk to my tutor he seems to really like my work, he loves that i tackled the coin sorter in a cup idea. and i think he wants me to take it to the next stage privatley once the project is complete.

im expecting a high 60 for this project. im not so worryed about the drawing at this point but the fact of actually building creating an actuall prototype model to show.

another think id like to metion is that my couse is not just dealing with issues with product / I.Design. its quite a broad based course teaching skills in, animation, graphic, 3D, imagemaking, typographic, multimedia design, drawing.

Im not here to bash your concepts, because for one, its highly subjective. However basic skills like drawing, foundations, perspective, values. Can be taught universally.

---

i love all the advice i get here, i want it to keep coming, i want to learn and get better at what i do.

i think one the problems i have is i dont explain enough what i upload to you guys to view.

sometimes tho i get the impression that you guys think that my work is on par with a 4 year old ... :S

hopefully you guys can help me up my game !!

thankyou for all your time guys.

You hear this everytime, sketches are to communicate yoru ideas. And you also hear, you dont need amazing sketching skills cuz its more importnat to communciate your idea then to have a slick sketch.

BUT HERE IS THE CATCH

If you are posting up sketches and people cant understand what your shape or design looks like, what it does, how it works, who its for, why it is. Then you have a problem. And if this problem is because your perspective is off your forms dont read and its mainly due to the lack of foundation skills, then it can be easily fixed and MUST be fixed.

---

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I just wanted some background information. As a person, i think you work hard. And continually try to improve. I didnt mean to knock you down, i was more curious as to what the SCHOOL is teaching you and how they are teaching you and the students.

Its cool, like i said i can take my Crits no matter how harsh, im not gona lie and say they dont effect me at all, but im a big boy, i can take it. its know how to take it on the chin and not let it get you down but to work harder.

I dont know what the UK standards are and again ill say drawing perfect sketches means nothing if you cant communicate your ideas. HOWEVER, learning perspective and values and basically the FOUNDATIONS is important. I, like many others here are trying to point out the things that are wrong and helping you fix them.

However, I know I am guilty of being a bit more harsher than others.

harsh can be good at times, at least you tell it how it is and dont beat around the bush about it. il have to practice perspective etc and drawing what i see in my head and geting it out on paper effectivley.

its always a good thing to compare yourself to your classmates, but as a future professional, you shoudlnt become content with being better than your classmates especially if the class high is a mere 70/100. I dont know what the UK standards are. But in general Math, that is a 70% or in the US standards a C-. I dont know how much you want to improve on a personal level, but i would think you want to be A level.

Really? Are you trying to say, that you are content and satisfied with your skillevel cuz you marked a 64%? I mean its your own personal values. I cant say much about it. But if that is 'good enough' for you then I, myself will have to critque you with a different mindset and method. Cuz, sadly, I cant expect you to do much more than a 60-70% level of work.

i see where your coming from at this point. not to settle for what i can easly achive, but to remember to be allways rasing the bar higher.

Please tell us the UK standards, cuz i dont know how anyone could be satisfied with a 50-60% score on anything. thats like borderline D to F here in the states.

ok well over here, alot of students are perfectly happy with a 2.1 when the leave uni. the grades are as follows.

Lowest to Highest

00% - 39% - fail

40% - 49% - 3rd

50% - 59% - 2.2

60% - 70% - 2.1

70% - 100% - 1st

most students leave with a 2.1 or 2.2 , most companys wont look at you if you leave with a 3rd, some wont even like if you have a 2.2, most students aim to leave Uni with a 1st or a 2.1 and feeling succesfull.

Im not here to bash your concepts, because for one, its highly subjective. However basic skills like drawing, foundations, perspective, values. Can be taught universally.

"because for one, its highly subjective" - sry i dont fully understand this, i think u mean that it depends on the Employer or client what they see fit as being a good design ?

You hear this everytime, sketches are to communicate yoru ideas...

look all i can say is, im gona still upload work here for you guys to look at. and hopefully over a given amount of time you will see an improvment.

Guest Taro

keep it up man!

In my opinion, you want to be at the "1st" category! You want to be the person that studios and companies are fighting for. For real, my mom said something that I think actually makes a lot of sense.... she told me that "you should choose your school/company, not the school/company choose you"

If you are leaving university the same mark as the average student, then : / the company is going to choose you, you won't have that much option.

-----------------------------

As far as I know, a scholarship student has to maintain a 75% or higher to keep getting the scholarship. So everyone is going to be working hard, going to be competitive. No one I know would say "dang, I got a 60% on my project, but it was the highest in the class!!! woohoo!!"

I am wondering... why the average leaving your university is ... low. are students there not competitive?

cheers Taro,

i like how you put that .. i shouldnt be applying to jobs thinking .. " oh god i hope im good enough for you company please hire me, il make you tea and kiss your ass every day " ... but rather " I know im good and id make a good asit to your team" (without sounding to big headed that you dont get the job cause your too cocky)

i do think / know, i have the skills to succeed in a carrer in art, its the only thing ive ever been good at, and i enjoy it everyday. i think i just need some good guidence and some reall, in the feild experiance to excell at what i do.

i think one the points you guys where saying was along the lines of .. " you Uni dont seem to be teaching Jack Sh*t "

but its to late now. ive only 1 more year to do. i may as well finish, get my degree because it will be a big step to geting my foot in the door when it comes to job interviews. i think i know myself that perhaps i could have picked a better University but i wouldnt change anything if i could do it all again. ive had some of my best experiance here. i do think tho the teaching could be improved. with other courses you can focus on a single element, where as on this course its lots of elemets together in on, Graphic, animation, 3D, Product, Typgography and Web. i think it will be good in the end to say that i have Degree class teaching in each area of design. .. but perhaps the way things are i might have to stike it lucky and get a job i love to do that pays well enough for me to be happy. or at some stage i might just have to go back to University to do a "Masters Degree" in a specilized subject weather it be Product design, graphic design, animation etc. what ever i feel most convidant in.

i think with UK Universtiys (im not sure where all you guys live ) , that if your scoring in the 60% - 70% range then you know your not Crap at what you do, that if you pull your damm finger out and bust your Balls and score between the 70% - 85% range then your @#$@#$ hot, anything above 90% and your either some loser with no life who just sits in your bedroom all day doing art, prob still living with mother, or your just a freak of nature. all courses varied here, i think its very hard to score above a 80% unless your one of them minor few who just are natually gifted. ( LOL you tend to see documentrys about such kids on TV. 5 year old boy genius )

to awnser Taro question, id love to somehow compare UK grading system to your own grading system, just to see if theres a difference or not. ? perhaps your eduction system is better funded with better teaching ? i live in ireleand remember, and i know alot of people fly off to america or other countrys for better teaching, better jobs, better paychecks.

some times i do think, .. " god .. has it really all been worth it, the £20,000+ in debt to go to Uni " " am i really that @#$@#$, that its not been worth my time going to uni and racking up that debt "

but i cant let myself think like that, thats the start of giving up and working in some @#$@#$ dead end factory job, or some supermarket with a Degree, £20,000+ in debt, and packing shopping bags for the rest of your life.

ive said it before, im not giving up no mater how many people crit, my work, il end up selling paintings on the street before i stop working in the line of art. it will just be intresting to see how far i get in this career, heres hoping i get far.

agian thanks for the comments guys, perhaps one day when im succesfull il write a book about these younger days in my life. ( im sure i could sell a few copys and knock a few £££ of that student debt )

:ph34r:

I have no doubt in my mind that you WILL improve.

Cuz you dont give up.

But dont be content... especially with a 70% thats a C, an AVERAGE.

Step up your game, put in your all, and strive to reach many goals.

You dont want to be average.

You want to be above average, you want to be the guy who gets picked or the guy who gets the job out of everyone else who is applying.

I have no doubt in my mind that you WILL improve.

Cuz you dont give up.

But dont be content... especially with a 70% thats a C, an AVERAGE.

Step up your game, put in your all, and strive to reach many goals.

You dont want to be average.

You want to be above average, you want to be the guy who gets picked or the guy who gets the job out of everyone else who is applying.

cheers man, thats a nice wee boost :)

ive just after putting together over 50+ full A3 sheets of paper for this project and numbering each one, in order from start to finish.

its nice flicking through them in order now, and i can clearly see some sort of progression. in the begining the designs were Boxy and solid, and very sketchy. just spiting out lines to get general shapes and forms then cleaning them up for the ones i thought worked best, then as you go on near the middle and end, the designs start to flow, rounder shapes with fluid in my opinion. and alot more cleaner single lines to depect the form.

id love to scan them in to a .PDF to show you, perhaps you would see a better understanding of the project and how its progressed then. but there A3 sheets, and i only have a A4 printer - thats over a 100+ scans, then resizing and cropping each one by hand :(

i need to invest in an A3 scanner / printer

:ph34r:

Guest Taro

Hmm, honestly scorpio.. I am not really in a place to judge your university right now, since I am still in high school. I will be going to college after summer though. As far as I know, schools here doesn't really give you courses that contains 4 or 5 big categories of art and design. Many schools here have what they call the "foundation year," which is your first year university, and you will be doing basically everything that the school has to offer. On your second year, you pick one out of the hat.

some schools, Art Center College of Design for example, doesn't offer such foundation course, I am guessing they want you to go in and be 100% sure about what you are doing.

-------------------------------

talking about this whole school grade thing.. average... etc etc reminded me of this video I was on Youtube by "Kevjumba" if anyone has seen his vid?

He was saying how in school, they teach you that :

A=awesome

B=better than average

C=average

D=could be improved

F=we are always here to offer you more opportunities

Then, LOL, he went on with how Asian parents look at their children's grade :

A=average

B=bad

C=crap

D=death

F=fxcked