Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest willorrock

Sustainable Mobile Phone

Guest willorrock

The brief was to design a sustainable mobile phone that has a life expectancy >5 yrs.

That is obviously fairly broad but i went down a very specific path (justified throughout the project) in order to achieve a longer life expectancy whilst maintaining the essential and luxury user requirements. I also tried to eliminate some current aspects in order to make the phone potentially more sustainable (e.g. the close links phones have with fashion etc).

Applying the brief to the project work on here opens the flood gates to criticism but thats exactly what i want, so any comments would be read and taken onboard! :P

(PS I couldnt upload the entire project due to the 1000K limit, i have uploaded development, final design and evaluation..i hope you can still make sense of the project)

Thanks

Will

1.pdf

4.pdf

5.pdf

6.pdf

Guest JOYRIDE

It looks pretty good. There are a few comments I have though. First, the layout has a lot of text. I suffered (and still do) with this problem when building my portfolio. Try to minimize the text. I know it will hard in this situation, as you are trying to give the facts. Also, on the final render, it would be nice to show a 3/4 view with the screen wrapping around (im assuming it does). I had to take a second look to be sure that was the idea. And how well do those screens hold up? We all know that phones take a beating, which is why many people have a case/cover to keep it looking nice. How would this work with a case on the phone? On a last note, on the last render page (one with the gradient in the background) the reflected text (the sustainable phone) seems a bit strong. You may want to make it slightly more transparent.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

I agree with joyride, there is way too much text. But the concept is really good.

Is that the same interface as the htc touch?

Guest willorrock

Thanks for your comments.

The amount of text in the preliminary and development stages is also not to my taste at all but this area was heavily stressed in the brief/assignment and as this is a university assesed piece of work I had to reluctantly conform! The pages that follow my sheet style more closely are the pages tpwards the end.

As for the screen I am too not sure how they hold up. The OLED will only last for 14000 hours (I think (calling on a vague memory so could be wrong!)) but re substrate can be reused and the OLEDs reprinted. The substrate are fairly strong, the screen would have to lie on a metal layer (probaby tungsten) but this very technical area of the project was not focused on too harshly. Nowadays as well seeing a cracked mobile phone screen is becoming rarer and rarer (especially on the UK Market which is fairly advanced for phones)

Any more comments or thoughts would be great, thanks again

Will

My Tutor made a great demonstration to me when i was talking to him 1 on 1 after class.

My project is to design a gravitational Coin Sorter; as i was trying to explain how the thing works and going into detail, i noticed he was making an "over the top gesture" by rubbing his eye and pretending to yawn.

(im just glad i caught into what he was doing very quickly so as not to make a fool of myself)

the point he was making was that "The Drawing Should Explain It All !!!" that to not add information, notes, bulk text.

it made alot of sence to me. You gota be able to get across your idea in the first 30seconds.

it could be the difference in winning the client or be showen the exit.

My Tutor made a great demonstration to me when i was talking to him 1 on 1 after class.

My project is to design a gravitational Coin Sorter; as i was trying to explain how the thing works and going into detail, i noticed he was making an "over the top gesture" by rubbing his eye and pretending to yawn.

(im just glad i caught into what he was doing very quickly so as not to make a fool of myself)

the point he was making was that "The Drawing Should Explain It All !!!" that to not add information, notes, bulk text.

it made alot of sence to me. You gota be able to get across your idea in the first 30seconds.

it could be the difference in winning the client or be showen the exit.

There is another side to that coin, especially if this is an academic project. For example, at my old school we regularly produced 60+ pages of text for each project. One of the reasons was that we were supposed to document the entire development process, both to enable the teachers to help us better, but also to help ourselves understand the process.

The other reason was that if asked about that drawing-which-should-explain-it-all, we would be able to reveal the idea behind every little detail and motivate every design decision we had done, without hesitation. So, I'd be grateful to read that text and gain insight into something not normally shown.

Guest Lilith

why in pdf? not the great format to present your work on the forum

good effort though

Guest mitchell1987

Hey.

You may want to look at printing the OLED directly onto thin steel sheeting, there are some examples of this. At less then .5mm your using very little virgin material, of course it could be recycled to begin with? It would also give you the flexibility to wrap over other components inside, and you could use it as your ground plane. Also you have to have dead band around the display, but if it was OLED directly onto thin steel you would wrap the edges of the steel back maybe?

+1 on the text front, there is way to much.

Try typing out what info you want to put on presentation board first in something like word or whatever. Then come back later that day, or even the next day. Re-read it, see whats important, what you can cut out, and what you can get across faster with images and diagrams.