Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daan

Illustrator Rotate

Guest Daan

Hi! If you draw something (say a rectangle) in Illustrator, rotate it with free rotate, and you want to rotate it back to horizontal later, how do you do that? Is there some sort of reset or rotate-align function?

Thanks! Daan

precision or smart guides should be on. pull a guide line to the lowest corner anchor point making sure it is on the point. select the object with solid arrow. select the rotate tool. to rotate the object from the same lowest point move the rotation point to that same anchor by clicking on that point while in rotae mode.after moving point of rotation, while it is selected switch to open arrow and rotate from the other lowest point on object. this should get it done. if not measure the square you have and create another an do not rotate it.

- i hate trying to write this kinda stuff cause i could show you in 2 seconds.

#1 rule of thumb in illustrator is ALWAYS duplicate orginal shapes before you modify them. i always do this, otherwise you end up trying to do exactly what you are asking. i ushually drag dupicates out of work area and eventually put them onto a hidden layer. also i save more than one file, that way if i want to go WAY BACK to the begging all my original info is there.

Guest under-dog

I dont exactly under stand why you would want or need to but as a generic answer to the generic situation:

1) rather that free rotate use rotate function so you can specify the rotation angle and then you will know exactly how much to rotate it back into position.

2) Make a copy, in place of the object prior to rotating, rotate just one of them(lock and or hide the other away)then there will be no need to rotate it back.

Guest Daan
precision or smart guides should be on. pull a guide line to the lowest corner anchor point making sure it is on the point. select the object with solid arrow. select the rotate tool. to rotate the object from the same lowest point move the rotation point to that same anchor by clicking on that point while in rotae mode.after moving point of rotation, while it is selected switch to open arrow and rotate from the other lowest point on object. this should get it done. if not measure the square you have and create another an do not rotate it.

- i hate trying to write this kinda stuff cause i could show you in 2 seconds.

#1 rule of thumb in illustrator is ALWAYS duplicate orginal shapes before you modify them. i always do this, otherwise you end up trying to do exactly what you are asking. i ushually drag dupicates out of work area and eventually put them onto a hidden layer. also i save more than one file, that way if i want to go WAY BACK to the begging all my original info is there.

THanks Halocooter, I get it. I'll take your tip to heart, but it is strange that something so obvious is so hard to do.

Another question: when I rotate a text box, the text stays horizontal. How can you change that? Thanks!

Guest kaiza

being precise in Illustrator is really quite a lot harder than it would initially seem (aligning things by eye just doesn't cut it for me) - and it seems that there could be improvements made to the interface/tools, although my thoughts are that if you looked hard enough a lot of this could be amended with certain plug-ins (but then you need new versions for each new version of Illustrator).

One thing that helps if you're trying to draw to scale in ai is to hit ctrl-u for the assistant. Little guides will pop up to let you know if you're actually about to select an endpoint and to help you line things up with other objects. If you draw to scale you can use tools like "round corners" to make perfect radii to scale.