Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
akinbacioglu

Also_chair

I generally don't like multu-function designs, but I find this very charming because the little integrated storage shelf works regardless of how which function is currently in use.

thanks eobet, great comment which is same with competition jury. i also normally hate multifunctional or multi-directional furnitures but i guess this design is successful in both direction. with a little more ergonomics, it will be better. by the way, i realize that i am talking about my design as if someone else :D

Guest Steve.id

I have to agree with the comments about ergonomics and i would suggest before spending time constructing mock-ups and test rigs you can easily place in the correct ergonomic and percentile vector drawings exactly like you have done in your first attachment and this will give you a close indication of appropriate angles and heights, and a basis to then construct mock-ups.

Also i just wonder how easy it is to actually slide the chair in and out from the desk whilst sitting on it?

Otherwise love the design and simplicity of the form and can definitely see it been utilised in classrooms etc.

Guest Gemstar

I agree with Ekove's views about the ergonomics, but hopefully your prototype should sort this out.

I love your layouts, very simple and accessible, but I don't think the product on the 2nd one stands out enough.

Also like Grant's comment about mental colours - I think they would look great!

Overall, fantastic idea, to me its one of those 'i wish I'd thought of that' concepts. Great work!

Guest xonegon

I find this multifunctional chair desk very nice :)

then render is quit good.

maybe a random idea to enhance the comfort is using elastic belts for the backsupport.

Guest nethoo

I'm new man here,nice to see ur good work, I'll learn lots from your pic,ths. :clapping:

Guest einar

Hi.

First of all, I really like your design. I think the backrest should be made from wood, and not elatic bands unless the bands does not compromise the backrests function as a shelf, which i think makes this concept.

There are a couple of changes that I think you could make that could improve ergonomics.

They also alter the shape of the chair, so you will have to find a compromise.

(By desk I mean the chair that is used as a desk)

On the drawing showing the manequin sitting by the desk, it looks like the armrest prevents him from sitting closer to the desk. this is not so, it is the seat that prevents this. So you could move the manequin closer to the desk. If the seat does not go all the way to the ground (on the chair that is used as a desk), the feet could go under it, and it would enable the user to sit even closer to the desk.

The armrest could be made so that it could slide under the backrest of the desk. this would enable the chair to be placed closed to the desk, enabeling the user to sit further back in the chair, closer to the backrest. It would also mean that the chair-desk could be placed closer together when not in use, making it more user friendly.

The back rest could be longer. If it goes up to the shoulders, it would be more comfortable as a relaxing chair, and it would also enable the user to sit much closer to the writing surface of the desk, it would also greatly improve the leg space .

The front legs of the chair can be slanted forward, so that the desks writing surface will be slanted towards the user. this is supposed to be more ergonomically correct for writing desks. however, it would make the desk akward to use as a table.

Production method for the chair

What I miss in the rendering is how it will be made. It looks as if it is made from thick plywood, because of the inside radii at the corners. Plywood is a bad choice because it is weak (compared to solid wood, for this design) and it is expensive (lot of waste for this design). Laminated wood is the strongest, but because of all the T joints I think it is not feasible, unless of course you find a way to do it.

I think the strongest, cheapest and easiest would be to make it from solid wood. The downside with this is that the inside corners would be sharp, without any radii, and this i think would have a negative effect in the aesthetics. one way to solve this is to make the frame bigger than it need to be, and then CNC machine it as if it were plywood. I am not sure how the inside corners will take this, if the cutter will tear out pieces or not, you will have to try. There are ways to make more elaborate jonts that eliminate this risk. Outside radii is not a problem. For the prototype, plywood is probably the easiest material to make it from.

-I think any cushions should be attached so that they do not fall of when used as a desk. Fabric that is streched between the sides of the shair could make a good seat with minimum thickness. downside is that it needs a strong frame and it can tear.

also,

I think you should ignore vanders remark about the wood grain. woodgrains are small, and on a thing as big as a chair, you cannot see them unless you change the wood to pine or some other wood with highly visible grain. Judging from the colour of the chair, it is made from birch, which has no strong grain. if you were to have visible grain in this wood, the chair would look 10 cm heigh. Having said this, I do not know much about renderings.

If what I said is unclear, or if you have any questions, please let me know. i am also a professional cabinetmaker, and know a bit about how to put furniture together

Guest uliuliany

I always love multi functional furnitures. We all do. It's good for bad economy like this :)