Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dwdy

Trouble Understanding Reflections And Shading

Guest dwdy

Im really struggling to render objects as I just never seem to beable to calculate where reflective light occurs on glossy surfaces and even on matte objects. Ive spent alot of time looking at objects to work this out but when it comes to rendering something ive designed i just get so confused and frustrated. Can any one offoer me any tips?

Guest jmc
Tips:

Practice a lot.

Observe real world objects/reflections.

Start with reflections on simple objects then work your way up.

Starting with simple objects is probably the most important point. A lot of us here are completely passionate about cars and motorcycles and tried to draw them as well as we could and were never satisfied with the outcome.

Well, when I started my studies in ID 2 years ago, we started drawing dozens of cubes, spheres, cylinders and basic polygons in order understand how the light and environment react on surfaces. We then started drawing some everyday life products including more and more complicated shapes and learning how to render more and more types of materials until we could basically sketch anything.

Guest dwdy

ok i appreciate what you have all said and i definitely need to practice rendering, its really annoying i never seem to be able to get my head around it and to be honest this afternoon nearly threw my computer through the window. If i have to draw something i never seem to struggle, but when it comes to rendering it drives me crazy. I have this shape here, please could somebody render it for me as a semi glossy surface with the light coming from over the left shoulder of the viewer??? Since ive been trying to do this all day, knowing how it should be done may help me to get the ball rolling, hope you can help.

post-28074-1233760848.jpg

There is more to it than just shading the area where the light don't hit.

- You need to set up a good lighting scene. Know where to put the light that shines at the object while also leaving dark shadow area that is eye catching. So its also about setting up the scene. Look at some reference, think of how it looks like in your mind first.

- You need to also consider light bouncing on surfaces. Usually there is a light bouncing from the ground and hits the darker area. This make alot more realistic when you understand it.

- You need have a focus point, only detail and shade area nearest to you. You want have lots of colours and detail on the part of the object that is nearest to you. As the other part of the object leave it untouch. It gives a sense of realistic fish eye effect. Also darken the small darkest areas to the max. It really adds depth to it.

- Besides all that, you basicly shade the surfare that is beyond the perpendicular angle to the light ray from the source.

You should look at real pictures to understand this. Try the links below;

http://www.toyfon.com/html/sketchwall.htm

http://snigom.deviantart.com/art/Adanced-S...niques-43158629