Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Krabbenkoenig

Solidworks - Iphone 3g Back

Hey,

When I'm trying to surface a body similiar to the back of the Iphone 3G (bent in all directions), I'm having the problem, that the edges always have a "dent".

I tried it several times now, but I can't get them right.

Two edges of the surfaces are splines.

Any ideas?

post-1617-1232974016.jpg

Guest newt @ MWE

Hey

How are you going about creating the surface? loft, sweep, fill, ?

Without trying it, I would suggest sketching the bottom profile as a whole, set up planes at the front and side midpoints of the body, on those sketch the front and side profile curve respectively. Use those to create a surface fill with guide curves setting the contraints to tangent.

Again, I haven't tried it, but that would be my first attempt.

Newt

Guest bildder

Boundary surface is a little bit better feature, you can set tangent type also for guide curves.

I think, you can try surface-sweep feature along edge and next filled surface to close the boundary and create solid body.

Guest mbiasotti

Krabbenkoenig

This is a great question and one of those classic tough problems that you see in hand-held shapes (the Palm Treo a few years back was even worse.) See the attached model I did a number of years ago, it might help you to discover a appropiate solution (yes it is a real production bar of soap.) Anyway, the key is to first only model one quarter of it. As far as the outer edge curve, don't use a line, arc, line but build a single spline so it is continuous or do a fit spline over the three. Use Boundary over loft - it can do C2 in both directions. Your on a great start because you realize that the designers at Apple don't design there products as solid models per say (blocks and fillets) but as surface models with C2 connectivity between faces. Also an advantage of Boundaryis that you have options for how the surface flows in the tangent influence dropdown as well as assigning connectors. These are great for "inflating corners" and getting the UV flow of the surface the way you intend it to be.

Kind regards

Mark Biasotti

Dassault System'es - SolidWorks

soap2.zip

There are so many ways to do this,... here are 7 iterations.. (using 2006)

I don't have 2009 either so Mark's soap bar (he may have it in a 2008 version?) is adding another way... using the new loft feature (Boundary-Surface, introduced in 2007,.. improved in 2008 and last I saw,.. much better in 2009) which gives you additional control on the boundary influence/conditions.

So,.. try out "Boundary-Surface"... just replace/swap out the older loft features too see what/how/where... it's offers more control to give you the look and clean up the surface more so..

rect_cap_zxys.zip

Guest tstokes

Gentlemen, these are great examples to work off of for some more challenging designs I am working on now. I have scoured the internet and bought every SolidWorks book and have not seen these types of examples. There is way too much on solid modeling and not enough classical surfacing problems. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

-Tom