* * * * * 1 votes

Soma - Concept Mp3 Player [2009]

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_bagaudae_*

Guest_bagaudae_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:36 PM

Buff, thanks for your words. I was not sure on how to reply to this topic and you seem to understand my feelings. Here are my thoughts:
(...)
I'll just leave it at that for now. I'm glad that people are posting their opinions, but these are some points that I felt needed to be taken out of my system. Thanks.

I think i understand your points, but you should keep in mind the type of forum this is and the type of people around. I speak for myself, but i think a lot of people feel this way: most of the times i`m more interested on how it was made and what were you thinking about when you made it, more than the actual "thing" you made. That`s why sketches and notes would be most welcome. Academic curiosity. we can`t live without it.

As for the electronics issue, don`t take us to seriously, again, academic curiosity is to be blamed. all your projects were pretty good for a 17 year old, in fact, they were pretty good, period. I would really like to see what you would do on a less tech base. I imagine you would do pretty good as well.

Also keep in mind, you started presenting great stuff, so expectations were raised. Bottom line, your work is great, and you still have a lot of room to improve, so keep working and keep posting. Congratulations.

#17 Guest_Bystander_*

Guest_Bystander_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:50 AM

Anyone else think this kids ego is starting to get a bit out of control? Every one of his designs has gotten praise, but the ONE design that gets knocked a little he gets touchy. Taking constructive criticism is a must in design and anyone that gets crazy over people telling it like it is shouldn't be doing design.

Aside from that...showing the process is the ONLY way you'll get anywhere. You'll do it in school and you'll do it in the work force. If you only show these final slides of finalized work you'll be turned away quickly. The ability to think and the ability to show that thought process is what gets you the job. Of course, putting all that together in a nice looking package is something people look for as well, but people pay you to think, not to render pretty pictures. I have no problem with you doing electronics...just make the presentation more complete.

Get off your pedestal and learn from the people on the boards. They've been around a while.

#18 Guest_Andrew Kim_*

Guest_Andrew Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:56 AM

Most of you guys have replied in my sketch thread so I didn't post the link. There hasn't been many updates because it was recommended that I don't post my work. Nevertheless, here it is: http://www.productde...p...t=0&start=0

I just wanted to say that I never expected everyone to like it. The target consumer was the DAP market in Korea. Being a Korean myself, I knew that the playful colors and unique features like the backing would be appealing to them. I have asked many people what they felt about it and it seemed to be the case. I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't expect anyone to like it, since it wasn't made for the majority of the people whom visit this site.

Also, I know that I'll have to show the process and sketches in college. I've been doing that for my "real" work, but this is what I did on my free time. So I didn't post my sketches. I was just upset that people thought photoshop work cannot be regarded as design. I don't know what other people think but in my personal opinion, design has no medium. Anyways, here are the sketches I did on order:

First sketch (Soma started as a phone).
Posted Image

One of the developmental sketches.
Posted Image

Another developmental sketch.
Posted Image

After doing this sketch, I ended up using its "mood".
Posted Image

First serious sketch.
Posted Image

Last sketch. All other sketches and rendering was done on PS.
Posted Image

Kaiyuan, here are my thoughts:
- I felt that the curved shape of the device would be optimal for holding in the hand.
- The overall platform is similar to that of most mp3 players so I feel that it will be fine for using the display.
- The major change is the unique shape and use of different materials. I was tired of the "black boxes".
- Most batteries are much longer lasting than before. The Cowon S9 for example has a 15hr battery life, for video. So I feel that the lyric feature will get around that too, so it's not a huge investment in battery life. It was added because I felt it would be fun to use, and would be appealing for the target audience.

#19 Guest_csven_*

Guest_csven_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

Any cross-sections? Exploded views? Anything showing how this would actually be manufactured?

#20 Guest_Taro_*

Guest_Taro_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:02 AM

I just wanted to say that I never expected everyone to like it.

then be ready for comments you don't like.

The target consumer was the DAP market in Korea. Being a Korean myself, I knew that the playful colors and unique features like the backing would be appealing to them. I have asked many people what they felt about it and it seemed to be the case.

we have never seen your 'seriously-done' project, but kinda notice that the soma, and previous projects are all targeting Korean market (just from all the korean interface and others). Is there a special reason for that? I mean, a good electronic is a good electronic, I think a succesful electronic is more international. Just look at iPod, not much ... 'fancy' interface, yet people are using it all over the world.

I was just upset that people thought photoshop work cannot be regarded as design. I don't know what other people think but in my personal opinion, design has no medium.

honestly, i think ive said it like.. once or twice before, but your really misunderstanding the point. Me talking about your photoshop stuff.. does not mean im criticizing your design or anything. I think i've also said previously, couple of my friends in school could do those photoshop work as long as they are given an exact task to do. They can post them up.. then say that it is theirs.. some people would be amazed... yet they haven't really showed 'evidence' of the design being theirs, furthermore, no one reallly knows if that design was refined or not.

I hope you get what im saying.

aside from that, nice sketches, as you said, fun project right? I think if thats all the sketches around that project, maybe its a big too little? like.. 2 or 3? Also, I hope those rendering/ballpoint/pencil lines are just kinda curving off because you purposely did that, which means you can purposely stop it when you have to. Just thought they were distractive in certain cases.

a bit off-topic

like I said before, your 'fun' projects seem to be around the Korean market. And not to be racist (im Asian myself), but I'm a little bit sick of how Koreans in school ( at least here in Vancouver ) always hang out like a pack, and it really feels like they are just in their own box. I hope that is not the case for you, otherwise you might be a bit limited...unconciously.

#21 Sketchyd

Sketchyd

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

dont tell me it only took you 6 pages of ideations before you got to SOMA35...

i mean if thats all it took for you to reach your final product thts fine...
but you also lost out on alot of opportunities that you might have discovered through your ideations & research.

in those 6 sketches.
your understanding of perspective seems to be pretty low to average.

---
like i said before your photoshop stuff, interface design, layout composition is all outstanding!
beautiful

dont you think you shoudl spend some time in the areas you arent that good at?
like sketching, ideating, research, perspective, etc.

and even areas other than electronics, just to widen your scope?

---
im gonna go take a look at your sketch thread now.

---

edit*

i just took a look at your sketch thread... GREAT STUFF really.

now im curious, i want to see the process book now.

lets take soma35 for example.

it would be really great for you to show how you came up with idea, the research it took, the sketch and ideation phase, the refinement, inspiration boards, color boards, material boards, all the good stuff!

that helped you to get your final design.

#22 Guest_Ekove_*

Guest_Ekove_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

Your work is becoming a little boring. You keep using the same layout. You're graphic skills are amazing for your age, but you seem to be using them to make up for your lack of ideas, and even then repeating the same layout for every product is boring. I know I said that twice, anyway moving into your product.

First, I don't like the color, I don't like the design of the back of it AT ALL. I don't see the point of the three shapes you got back there or the different material choices you have for them. If you wanted to give choices of materials to give different choices of "feels" then you might wanna consider your placement of them. I know that seems to be the main point of your design, Maybe placing them in the back but in different shapes would make it feel better, or maybe it does feel good but I cant' see it because I don't like the shapes. You just haven't "sold" the design to me. Try rendering it in a photo with a hand holding it, that might make your idea look stronger.

Two; what does your product bring? doesn't seem to be anything new. Vibrating to that beat is kinda of a novelty, sure you might show off to your friend that little feature, but than that it's not useful or enjoyable, a waste of battery if it's ever turned on, because it won't. Mp3 players are usually in your pocket.

Three; Your products layout, or theme is very plain and boring. And I hate the color choice. I see you hung the icons on your menu with a clip, that isn't really interesting or smart. It only makes it harder to browse them, I prefer more icons on my screen over that. Try to think of something smarter and more functional. Did I say I hate the colors choice?

four; the form again, that little thing popping to the right makes it harder for right handed people to hold, especially considering your product is already big.

Four; The form of your design has no point. What does it provide? Nothing, it's just a random form. Moving from standardized forms mean it'll be harder to get accessories (such as a leather case for example). So if you want to move away from standardized forms, at least do it for a good reason.

#23 Guest_spook_*

Guest_spook_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

i like the bottom button, it reminds me of a front bumper intake. But it looks unresolved or hard to discern with the undercut where you can't see the surface. Also maybe hard to access the buttons. next step, make a tangible foam model, or something.

#24 Sketchyd

Sketchyd

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

@ekove. Most of your arguments are very subjective. I personally like the interface. Even the clip thing. However i do agree on the form factor. . . I dont understand the idea behind it.

#25 Guest_csven_*

Guest_csven_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

I'd rather we got away from subjective critique at this point. Some will like the shape/color/interface/presentation; others won't. But this is supposed to be a "product design" forum. How about we inject some manufacturing-the-product discussion.

#26 Guest_Buff_*

Guest_Buff_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

I'd rather we got away from subjective critique at this point. Some will like the shape/color/interface/presentation; others won't. But this is supposed to be a "product design" forum. How about we inject some manufacturing-the-product discussion.

second that

Are business skills important in design education?

93% of designers think that business skills are either
essential or useful in the design curriculum;

54% of design colleges think that business skills are either
essential or useful in the design curriculum.

Source: Design Council "The Business of Design" report

"Today you have to be as much a salesman as a creative - Talking marketing a design using the same business justifications. If you do not comunicat business language, you do not comunicat at all" Clive Goodwin, Creative Manager, Samsung Europe

The same applies to manufacturing.

If you design does not make allowance for cost effective manufacture, then all those pretty drawings will end up where all the other cost ineffective designs go.... THE BIN

This is a BUSINESS... if you cant make your clients a very good return on their investment, then they WONT come back... and you WONT get any referals.... END OF

#27 Guest_Taro_*

Guest_Taro_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

thank you for the useful info Buff, but I still wonder, why can't you have both drawing and business skills?

also, note that he is 17, not even in college yet. A 17 year old has the things he should focus on. Also, its not like he cant sketch, his sketches are one of the bests.. so why not show it off

#28 Guest_Grant Howarth_*

Guest_Grant Howarth_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

I really like your presentations. Dont get offended when someone disagrees with you. taking crits like a champ is very important. hell knows you're going to hear a lot worse when you become a professional.

from a technology point of view i just want to put something out there, does anyone else feel touch screens are alienating a large amount of people? No tactile feedback means you can pretty much score blind people out of your market. Furthermore, iv found that touchscreens require quite a large amount of precision, again alienating people with hand eye coordination problems, eg elderly/ people with arthritus. In an aging population is this really the answer?

Also, someone mentions foldable screens, think the technology behind this is Organic leds. Might be worth looking into this Andrew if you're really into electronics. Think this technology will be leading the way soon enough with "heads up displays" (typically what you see in a first person shooter game) capable of displaying information, eg heartrate etc incorporated into eyewear etc.

#29 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:21 PM

I see I'm a little late to the game on this one and there have been a lot of good comments made already.

Andrew: In the past I told you your skills were better than many college grads, at this point I'm willing to say your skills with a marker and Photoshop outdo many professionals. You've got a fantastic sense for graphic layouts and I like that you've been working on more daring forms, even if the forms don't agree with some people.

A piece of advice I've tried to give to many students is to look at your skillset every 6 months and say "where am I not strong?" and push yourself to develop those skills. I'll tell you right now that from a Photoshop/graphics standpoint you're top notch, but thats only a small section of what being an industrial designer is about.

Looking at your skillset I think you could crank out consumer electronics all day, and they would all kick ass. But at the end of the day it means that if someone came up and offered to pay you a sum of money to design something out of your comfort zone it might be more difficult. I think the comments you're getting on here are because people want you to explore that talent in different areas, because we all know that it will make you an even better designer with an even more diverse portfolio. This of course, is what college is for - college will force you to work on projects you may not like (furniture, toys, etc) but you'll come out better at the end of it.

I would love to see you start exploring some other areas you haven't touched in mediums you haven't used. Try designing a chair in 3D software, try modelling some ergonomic hand tools out of clay or foam. Even if the results won't win you a design award you will learn so much from it and have SUCH a head start going in to school.

I'm continually amazed at the quality of work you young guys on here are putting out. Now keep pushing your limits instead of staying in the comfort zone and you will continue to wow people and make them eat their own words. :)

Best of luck!

#30 Guest_AutomóvilVerde_*

Guest_AutomóvilVerde_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:26 AM

I was just looking through your flickr page, I saw that one painting of the cellphones in acrylic. it's amazing!! I didn't notice that it was a painting till I saw the description

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store