Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew Kim

Soma - Concept Mp3 Player [2009]

Guest Lilith

when i saw a little thumbnail of the project on the front page of PDF i knew its a work by Andrew Kim :P you rock! keep posting and good luck !

Guest allen

quote:

Personal Info:

Name - Andrew Seunghyun Kim

Age - 17

Contact - designfabulous[at]gmail.com

please don't highlight your age,it's make bad feeling.

if you insist to do that,please change it, you are 18 years now.

Guest Andrew Kim
quote:

Personal Info:

Name - Andrew Seunghyun Kim

Age - 17

Contact - designfabulous[at]gmail.com

please don't highlight your age,it's make bad feeling.

if you insist to do that,please change it, you are 18 years now.

I was born on 1991, November 6th. That makes me 17. I wouldn't post things I'm not sure of if I were you.

Guest kaiza

For what it's worth - your point on presentation exactly echoes what a lecturer once told us. Essentially, create a style guide so that you can maximise product design time and then *bam* drop the renders into preformatted templates. Re-use 'em for all of your projects because chances are that you aren't being marked (much) on your layouts. I wish I had gone to the trouble of doing this early on, because I hated designing layouts - my graphic design sense is pretty ordinary.

Of course, if this is a fun project, there's no reason not to play around with layouts to try out new and interesting formats. Why not try making all of the pages merge together, so there is a seamless background down the length of your presentation, for example?

I also love your focus on interface - it's all well thought out and somewhat different to current markets. The only thing missing is a description of any notable video playback interface ideas.

The form is interesting, and I like the "scoop" feature that incorporates the extra LCD, although it took me a little while to work out exactly how the form reads.

My only crits are that I would like to see a split line in the side view, as I think it's the weakest view on your boards. Also, the bump on the right side would perhaps mean that it will be more comfortable to hold in say, your left hand rather than your right? You DEFINITELY need a view with a rendered hand for scale.

Better yet, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a nicely sanded blue foam mockup of this form being held (it would even be easy to stick in a 3.5mm headphone jack!). I would question the inclusion of the lump for ergonomic and/or aesthetic purposes only. While the form certainly looks better for it, perhaps it could incorporate volume or hold buttons on the side, or house some oddly-shaped electronic component (wierd-shaped battery).

I look forward to seeing your other stuff, and from your sketch thread i see you have designed cars and shoes and some other things as well. I would really like to see you try your hand at designing a computer case and some kitchen appliances - blender, microwave, etc.

Good work!

Guest j88
Why do I never post sketches? I want to show the final product, not the process. Do you ever see companies like Samsung or Apple showing their sketches on their website? I am not saying that I am trying to sell my idea, but I want to show the most polished and finished state of my work. This quote, "Rendering on computer is something that could be learned by simply following a set of tutorials, yet sketching is where you ideas came from." made me absolutely furious. I think you are undervaluing the value of design. If you want to see sketches, check out my sketches in my sketching thread.

Design is not just about creating beautiful objects. When people ask for sketches they're not necessarily talking in the literal sense, they want to see your thinking behind a solution to a problem. Design is a process, creating stunning visuals is a tool. Some designers have a natural eye for design, some don't. It's easy to tell those who do, you do.

As for your statement about 'undervaluing the value of design', I feel you are a little confused as to what design is. In terms of visuals this project gets an A+++, but in terms of design it needs some work and that is the area you need to push yourself.

Don't get 'furious' though. You're not even in university yet and everything your doing now is fun and good practice. While everyone else is sweating it out in photoshop class you can spend time researching users, brainstorming, observing, reading etc. All this design thinking and process stuff will get taught at school and then you'll look back on your work and think 'what was I thinking?'

I think it's great you're designing the interface, graphics, brand as well as a product. It's bullshit all this gets split up in different categories, we all use the same process, so keep focusing on creating products that are part of a system. This all adds to creating a story and experience for the user.

So keep having fun and keep doing what you have a passion for. I'd recommend looking at other product areas simply because it will push you, it will give you more problems to solve, phones/mp3 are exhausted. Enter some design competitions to find some briefs.

Keep up the work and listen to the criticism directed your way. It's safe to say that 99% here know more than you when it comes to Design. So take it all on-board, ignore some but listen to all.