Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kaiyuan

Kar

Guest Kaiyuan
nice stuff, i like them.

I think you should work on your human figures though. That is giving away the info that you are an amateur, while your other renders are really really nicely done.

Also, at the place where you learned, did they encourage you to do such colorful and filled up pages? Or is that kind of your personal style? I understand that filling up the pages is very important, yet being so colorful really.. makes a little messy sometimes.. also, doesn't that use up ALOT of ink per page?

LOL Yes, my humans = epic fail.

But a senior in my class is teaching me how to draw them correctly ;D

Yea, my class emphasizes contrast and color quite a bit. These pages are just minimal contrast. I still have to bring out alot more shadows and hilights. I'm pretty good about ink. I mix my colors alot, I don't use just red for a product. I mix in purple, blue, pink, etc.

I think thats a style that he learned at the class.

I have a few friends who took those classes before they came to art center.

And the styles are nearly identical.

Cartoonish, vibrant, fun sketching style.

You are gonan be leaps and bounds better than the ppl at artcenter, for your 1st term.

Well at least that was the case when i came in.

I unfortunately didnt get to take this class.

But the friends who did were 10x better than 80% of the students there.

I hope I can make it into Art Center right out of high school. That's like my goal at the moment. I would take classes at PCC after I graduate high school, but my parents are the kind who want me to go to a good college right out of high school.

You could take night classes at Art Center. Tony Yao and Stan Kong's classes are the ones that seem to be the best.

yea take both of those and you should be set.

How are your modeling skills?

Cuz the first few terms is very hands on.

well they are more lenient now, they teach you more machinery from the get go.

but yet, your sketching looks fine to get you in.

And you should be a few steps ahead of others if you take stan and tonys class.

oh and you shoudl love perspective.

cuz viscomm 1 is all that.

but you proabbly will get easier teachers.

I had two crazy robots.

Scott robertson and Neville page.

I dont think they teach viscomm anymore.

Guest Kaiyuan
yea take both of those and you should be set.

How are your modeling skills?

Cuz the first few terms is very hands on.

well they are more lenient now, they teach you more machinery from the get go.

but yet, your sketching looks fine to get you in.

And you should be a few steps ahead of others if you take stan and tonys class.

oh and you shoudl love perspective.

cuz viscomm 1 is all that.

but you proabbly will get easier teachers.

I had two crazy robots.

Scott robertson and Neville page.

I dont think they teach viscomm anymore.

O_O Are you saying I have a possibility of getting into day program with my current skills, or further into my eductation? @_@ Uhh not gonna happen LOL. Through my eyes, my work is still mediocre. I can tell that I've improved, just some things are just wrong about my sketches. COMPOSITION. I HATE COMP.

Modelling.. hm. Well we're building models of our final product for this term. We don't use any machinery or the clay/mill that they use in day program. Our models are more crafty/hands on, as in we look for supplies and put it together. Kinda like martha stewart gone art center.

Perspective;; I don't think i've thought of perspective once during this term. That's odd. It's just become an instinct now.

Scott robertson is amazing at perspective. I'd love to learn from him. I bought three of his books from the student store, but I never actually used the drawthrough method O_o

well how much time yu got before u apply?

i can take a look at your entrance portfolio before you do, to give you an idea of whats good, need to work on, and what they are lookin for specifically.

Guest Kaiyuan

i can take a look at your entrance portfolio before you do, to give you an idea of whats good, need to work on, and what they are lookin for specifically.

I'm beginning my sophmore year in high school this fall xD I have two more years until college. Maybe apply in junior year? I'm not sure.

That would be awesome. I just need to start gathering work for a portfolio. I can't really use my older pages, theyre not that good. I'm going to take advanced product/trans throughout my high school years, so that's about 9-12 terms? So I may have enough to put in a portfolio.

An admissions lady came into our class last week and handed out these portfolio preparation sheets to us. Apparently product design and trans portfolios are different. I still have no preference on which one I'm going to decide to go with.

Just curious: Do you know of anyone who has gotten early acceptance to AC? I know there are some of those super smart kids who go to college at like age 13, but has that ever happened at AC before?

I'm beginning my sophmore year in high school this fall xD I have two more years until college. Maybe apply in junior year? I'm not sure.

That would be awesome. I just need to start gathering work for a portfolio. I can't really use my older pages, theyre not that good. I'm going to take advanced product/trans throughout my high school years, so that's about 9-12 terms? So I may have enough to put in a portfolio.

An admissions lady came into our class last week and handed out these portfolio preparation sheets to us. Apparently product design and trans portfolios are different. I still have no preference on which one I'm going to decide to go with.

Just curious: Do you know of anyone who has gotten early acceptance to AC? I know there are some of those super smart kids who go to college at like age 13, but has that ever happened at AC before?

No, there is not such thing as early acceptance.

Art center isnt like a normal college.

Where you have freshman sophmore junior year.

Its goes by terms, or in other words quarters or semesters (not sure which one it is)

But anyways you have 3 terms per year.

Which means you can apply 3 times per year.

This also means there is graduation 3 times per year.

So even if you dont make it for Fall (which is usually when people apply the most)

You can always work on your portfolio again and submit again in the Spring.

Its Spring Summer and Fall terms.

Heres the difference between Art Center and Otis, or any similar schools.

Otis, even if you know you want to do product design.

You wont start in your major.

EVERYONE has to do 2 years of fundmentals, basics, before you can go into your major.

So when you apply, they want to see your basics.

Like fine art, still life, all that other illustration-y stuff.

At Art Center.

They expect you to already know what you want to do.

So when you apply.

They only want to see things that relate to one specific major.

So if you want to go into product design.

You should submit a product design portfolio.

If you want to do illustration.

You should submit a illustration portfolio.

If you want want to do product design, then dont submit illustration stuff.

They wont even look at it.

Theres no need to apply in your junior year.

Acutally i dont think they will let you.

I think the earliest you can apply is 1 term before you want to get in.

So if you want to get into Fall Term.

The latest you should apple is in the middle of Summer Term.

And at earliest middle to end of Spring Term.

But i dont think they will even consider you as a future student.

If you apply like a year early.

Sophmore year in highschool?

You have plenty of time.

Guest Taro

well kaiyun, im pretty sure you've seen my stuff right? (even though I didn't post up my portfolio, if you would liek to take a look, I would link you to it privately). They accepted me this year.

I wouldn't say your skill is really 'lower' than mine is, I might have certain things that I do better, and you have stuff you do better. Plus, you are super young arent you? you have loads of time, lol.

anyways, I believe they focus on your ideas, designs, and perhaps potential way more than just your sketching skills. You will make it : )

Guest Kaiyuan

You made it to Art Center?

DUDE congrats ;D I'd love to see your portfolio to get an idea.

Yes, we have different parts of skills that stand out among us. Your sketching/rendering has really improved a lot from your first pages.

I really need to work on the functions/ideas of my designs. Like when I first introduced my final product idea, my instructor said that my rendering was deceiving, because at that time, it wasn't very good, but he said my idea works out well.

Then the next week, I improved my rendering, but I got carried away with styling, etc and got my functions mixed up.

So now, for the final final three pages, I'm trying to balance both of them. The three pages are actually due by tonight D: I haven't rendered any of them.

But anyways, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to take a look at your folio :D

Guest Taro

sorry that I forgot, but may I ask how old are you again? Just trying to get an idea of your progress.

and thanks! I believe you would surely do good in this area.

I just want to add a little bit to this

At Art Center.

They expect you to already know what you want to do.

So when you apply.

They only want to see things that relate to one specific major.

So if you want to go into product design.

You should submit a product design portfolio.

If you want to do illustration.

You should submit a illustration portfolio.

If you want want to do product design, then dont submit illustration stuff.

They wont even look at it.

I had 5 portfolio booklet to hand-in, and the first one consisted of the stuff I did before I got into Product Design (those traditional painting, pencil stuff). I numbered them, so of course, I put my reference letter into my first one, so they would see it first.

couple months later, when I got my portfolio back, I noticed that they didn't even look at my first book... because I labeled it as "traditional art" ... so they didnt even touch that letter = =

-----------------------------------

Honestly, I really depended on the 2 Carl Liu books I had, and this site ( I didn't use "idsketching" that much at that time). When you see my portfolio, you will probably find my lack of research and many other things. But I think my process is good.

So obviously, I didn't know what a perfect portfolio was, and I didn't know what their standards were. I just handed in what I thought were good ideas, and developed them.

anyways, if you have MSN, add stephen0523@hotmail.com

Guest MBW17

Sorry to break up the conversation, ha but I have an msn and it's masonbw17@yahoo.com, so I'm gonna add u taro, if that's alright.

Oh and for u Albert, your renderings are improving very quick, and I love how u organize your ideas and combine them to one page, keep up the good work and keep posting.

Guest Gringoire

Hey Taro... let me know what's up with you and the Art Center... Pm or whatever... I'd really like to see how they think and what they expect... and what's up with them... Ok... so Congratulations! And I think that this is an example on don't let go... so for Kaiyuan and everyone else ... Don't let go!

Guest Taro

ya, well.. my attitude was kinda.. "I don't even think I can make it at all, so I'm gonna try my best to impress the judges or people who looks at my portfolio.. so at least I honourably failed" <--- lol.

anyways, if you want art center info, you could ask sketchyd, I think he would be kind enough to give you some information lol. (he actually said alot about the school in this topic.. this page)

Guest Kaiyuan

I actually know a lot more about AC now than I did back then.

The first few terms are hands on? That's odd. I thought the terms near your graduation were the most model-making.

Thanks for all the info ;D

I'm pretty sure we'd all love to see your portfolios :)

I've seen one person's portfolio, and he had a letter of recommendation from Mitsubishi. An early internship is another goal I have at the moment. Since I'm doing my current project on Mini and Crate&Barrel, I might send them to Designworks (BMW), and C&B. Possibly Mini too, but Designworks covers some mini things as well. (They rejected my offer to volunteer there last year -,- but that was wayy before I started Sat. High)

Guest MBW17

The first few terms are hands on? That's odd. I thought the terms near your graduation were the most model-making.

I've seen one person's portfolio, and he had a letter of recommendation from Mitsubishi. An early internship is another goal I have at the moment. Since I'm doing my current project on Mini and Crate&Barrel, I might send them to Designworks (BMW), and C&B. Possibly Mini too, but Designworks covers some mini things as well. (They rejected my offer to volunteer there last year -,- but that was wayy before I started Sat. High)

that is very cool! at what grade in highschool can you partcipate in an early internship? like could i try jr or senoir year?

and for a letter of recommendation, isnt it a plus, if i get my honors art teacher to write a letter?

thanks guys!

Guest Kaiyuan

that is very cool! at what grade in highschool can you partcipate in an early internship? like could i try jr or senoir year?

and for a letter of recommendation, isnt it a plus, if i get my honors art teacher to write a letter?

thanks guys!

I had a friend who got an internship at an architectural firm sometime in high school, before junior year I think. She also attends the same design class I take. But I think it varies among the companies. Architecture isn't as "secretive" or whatever that word is, as trans design is, so they may give a little more leeway to interns.