Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kaiyuan

Kar

Guest AutomóvilVerde

looks great, you should finish the wheels and the floating exhast pipes

Guest Kaiyuan

Thanks.

Haha I was just looking at the rear window and the two spoilers and I noticed how off it was D:

Floating exhaust... they actually look silly, now that I notice. :)

Here's an Audi for the ladies. Being a feminine Audi was an afterthought though. But I've decided that the front may resemble a woman's face, and the mirrors are earrings (or whatever), and the side is like a flowing dress (hence those weird shapes).

post-24002-1233549532.jpg

Eh. I've found something I haven't really established yet, and that's my personal style. I'm not sure if you can see my own style or a similar style running through each of my sketches, but I would appreciate your help in distinguishing it.

constructive crit.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

umm... the wheels again, and they don't really look like a part of the body. also the headlights look too plane for an audi...

Guest Taro

this audi looks very odd.

I think it is because of the shape you chose. Many of your past cars that looks correct overall were built by a rectangular box, yet this one kinda seems like it came out of nowhere.

I think its very good to challenge these complex shapes, yet you need to use more guidelines and focus to get them right.

Guest Austin Brown

all the sides of these sketches are interesting, gorgeous, and well-done. somehow you keep letting yourself down on the styling of the "face" - either the front or rear. you need more lines there to describe the form. maybe some subtle shading. but there's not enough detail on the front or rear to make the car actually look like a car.

Guest Kaiyuan
umm... the wheels again, and they don't really look like a part of the body. also the headlights look too plane for an audi...

Do you mean that the wheels look disconnected? Like how I don't have wheel wells?

this audi looks very odd.

I think it is because of the shape you chose. Many of your past cars that looks correct overall were built by a rectangular box, yet this one kinda seems like it came out of nowhere.

I think its very good to challenge these complex shapes, yet you need to use more guidelines and focus to get them right.

Yea, I got sick of boxes, even though it was my word to stick with them forever D: But I love those organic shapes and I get ahead of myself and make sad attempts to reach that level.

all the sides of these sketches are interesting, gorgeous, and well-done. somehow you keep letting yourself down on the styling of the "face" - either the front or rear. you need more lines there to describe the form. maybe some subtle shading. but there's not enough detail on the front or rear to make the car actually look like a car.

Thanks.

Is there some way to incorporate the brand's DNA and still have my own style weaved in? I think that is one of my biggest problems for the frontal/rear faces.

Also for shading: Which would be better, a prismacolor pencil or lines with a pen?

I know, I shouldn't be doing digital sketches, but my friend challenged me to do a speed rendering of a car in less than 10 minutes. I turns out I did it in 5 minutes o_o But yea. There are a million strange perspective issues in it, but I want to show it.

post-24002-1233641560.jpg

please critique.

Guest Austin Brown
Thanks.

Is there some way to incorporate the brand's DNA and still have my own style weaved in? I think that is one of my biggest problems for the frontal/rear faces.

Also for shading: Which would be better, a prismacolor pencil or lines with a pen?

I think that with the audi, you have a bit of the DNA there already. I see the headlights, the overall shape of the grill, the organic sides...BUT I can't tell where the headlines end and the bumper begins. or where the bumper stops and turns into the hood. You have a lot of really interesting body lines along the side of the vehicle, but all I really see at the front is a box (grill) and some idea of how a hood might fit in. Make it more crisp and purposeful. I can tell that you have an idea in your head, but I can't actually see what you're thinking until you put it on paper. Try using a pen to add some hatchmarks for the shading. That should be enough. It's hard to get pencil to reconcile cleanly with the crispness of pen work. Try them both, and see what people think on the forum...That's what it's for.

Guest Kaiyuan

Hmm well I haven't gotten around to doing my own free sketches, because I'm working on my SH homework. Here's what I have so far:

Both of these were sketches at one time, from about last year.

post-24002-1233987460.jpg

Some curvey cars, inspired by the Swarovski Car at the Dream Exhibit that was in Turin.

C+C

Guest Kaiyuan

This is also part of my homework:

my acrylic painting of a BMW design racecar design I had in mind. I also started this last year, but never finished it.

Inspiration = abstract art.

post-24002-1233987535.jpg

C+C

Guest Kaiyuan

I haven't posted in a while.

Here's what I'm doing so far:

post-24002-1234818025.jpg

^Saturday High homework (I did 6 pages of this.)

I'm trying to work on my light/shadow and rendering.

C+C

Guest Kaiyuan

ugh

Sorry this has nothing to do with cars, but we're going back to basics.

I have to do 6 pages of this, in the same layout. It's tedious. This is my first page:

Speed form rendering for Sat. High homework:

Left column: Marker only: gloss, matte

Right column: Marker+pastel: gloss, matte

Bottom middle: chrome

post-24002-1235285545.jpg

Here are some close ups:

speed_form_red_1_by_KaiyuanAR.jpg

speed_form_green_1_by_KaiyuanAR.jpg

speed_form_blue_1_by_KaiyuanAR.jpg

speed_form_orange_1_by_KaiyuanAR.jpg

speed_form_chrome_1_by_KaiyuanAR.jpg

Oh, here's a random convex speed form I did when I was practicing:

random_convex_speed_form_by_KaiyuanAR.jpg

C+C.

Guest Austin Brown

Those are all great. These are really really important to car drawing, because they teach you how to indicate form, illustrate finish, and show reflections. any car you draw without those things is really just a bunch of lines. The chrome looks great, but the angle is really confusing, since it's a ball, I'd expect it to be on a flat(level) plane. Great work though. Keep it up.

Guest Kaiyuan
Those are all great. These are really really important to car drawing, because they teach you how to indicate form, illustrate finish, and show reflections. any car you draw without those things is really just a bunch of lines. The chrome looks great, but the angle is really confusing, since it's a ball, I'd expect it to be on a flat(level) plane. Great work though. Keep it up.

The reason for the chrome angle is because of the angle of light (or so I think). Our instructor taught us that way so everyone in my class has been doing it on a slight angle to show more shadow on one side than the other, and it just looks awkward when the reflections are perpendicular to the ground.

Right now I'm working on concave/convex surfaces to try to build up my skill for more complicated forms. I'll upload some later. When I finish my renders. eventually.

Guest Kaiyuan

News from Saturday High!

We got our product design segment project and guess what it was?

Design a line of 3 hair care products for a specific company.

Here are my exploration/concept renderings:

post-24002-1235891209.jpg

Sorry you probably can't read the text because my camera isn't that megapixeled yet.

My goal:

Ergonomics

Function

Communicative sketching

Styling

C+C