Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kaiyuan

Kar

Guest Kaiyuan

Ahh, that's cool, sketchyd.

Product design is my second choice if I do not make it into transportation.

That's cool how you take classes there.

Two new sketches:

Lamborghini Small Crossovers

front:

post-24002-1232844037.jpg

Guest Taro

wow, ur an 8th grader too huh?

uhh that rear view, or.. actually.. for both of them, you need more lineweight, then it will become more professional looking.

Your perspective and proportion is nice, which makes me kind of jealous because i cant draw cars lol.

Guest Kaiyuan
wow, ur an 8th grader too huh?

uhh that rear view, or.. actually.. for both of them, you need more lineweight, then it will become more professional looking.

Your perspective and proportion is nice, which makes me kind of jealous because i cant draw cars lol.

8th grader? o_o I actually just started 9th grade haha.

Thanks.

I'll try working more on lineweight, but whenever i go over a line more than once, I'll miss that line more than once. Heh.

post-24002-1232868881.jpg

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Thanks.

I'll try working more on lineweight, but whenever i go over a line more than once, I'll miss that line more than once. Heh.

Freshman.... :) jkjk

Try what Taro told me, draw a straight line and go over it 8 times, and do circles in between. Fill up a page of those a day, it really helps. Like this, but better...

post-27920-1232942524.jpg

Guest Kaiyuan

Thanks.

Freshman.... :) jkjk

Try what Taro told me, draw a straight line and go over it 8 times, and do circles in between. Fill up a page of those a day, it really helps. Like this, but better...

I don't really understand that, though. It seems like ellipse practices I used to do, not really line weight. Isn't line weight emphasizing a specific line/lines on a car's body?

post-24002-1232947612.jpg

Guest Taro

the digital one, hmm, a bit too rough there? lol

and 9th grade is still really young lol.

also, your latest sketches, what type of pen/marker are you using there? I like how you are able to get the car so correct without messy lines. Really good that you KNOW where lines are going.

I don't really understand that, though. It seems like ellipse practices I used to do, not really line weight. Isn't line weight emphasizing a specific line/lines on a car's body?

its a combination of ellipse, and line weight practice, mostly line weight. You just have to draw straight lines, but always overlap them at least 8 times. The circles are just there to not waste paper.

sorry for the roughness of this digital one, in a rush. Anyways, the number represents how many lines are overlapping. After a few practices, they should look like just one thick line

example.jpg

Thanks.

Freshman.... :wacko: jkjk

post-24002-1232947612.jpg

Maybe this'll help. I redid your car with more lineweight variety:

post-8137-1232980913.jpg

Guest Taro

again, lol there are arguements to "outlining" the outside of an object.

What do they teach you at saturday high? I personally don't think an object should have the same thick line weight around its edges.

It's thicker on the bottom edges than the sides or top. The reason people like slightly thicker lines around the object is readability. Get 10 ft away, and you can still see the object. Without thicker outside lines, it is more confusing.

Guest Kaiyuan
again, lol there are arguements to "outlining" the outside of an object.

What do they teach you at saturday high? I personally don't think an object should have the same thick line weight around its edges.

Regarding the pen+lines: I use a Sakura Pigma Micron (size 1) for all of my sketches. I find it more fluid and it won't blot everywhere.

For lines, I usually do a small layout of the chassis in perspective (just lines to indicate the wheels, and lines that indicate a side, and a center line, etc.) it's like a perspective box, but I've cut some parts out. The rest I do a light sketch of what I have in mind, and if I mess up, I just try to build on it.

Well the instructor didn't go much into lineweight, but he said that putting more lineweight on significant lines of a product will help make them stand out (but not as much as contrast/shadow). He also told us to always use prismacolor to outline the car's silhouette, but I never do that :P

It's thicker on the bottom edges than the sides or top. The reason people like slightly thicker lines around the object is readability. Get 10 ft away, and you can still see the object. Without thicker outside lines, it is more confusing.

That's what my Saturday High instructor said, sorta. Although he just wanted a black line around the car and body lines. Also he told us to put white prismacolor where the background is dark and such. Of course, these are mostly for finished renderings, but I hardly do it in sketches. I usually just draw over a line multiple times.

By the way, your overlay of my sketch was very helpful. Thanks for that. Now I have more of an understanding of the general idea of lineweights.

Guest Kaiyuan

Hooray the weekend is here.

I think it would be really cool to be in the aftermarket area and design body kits for cars.

I've been heavily influenced by my brother and his friends (whom all have some very nice JDM cars), but I've never really tried drawing a body kit on an existing car.

Um well this might be a Ford Focus, or an elongated Ka, but its a European Ford. Yay. Pure American Fords = :( in my opinion. I really like the Euro design on those Fords.

post-24002-1233380491.jpg

Guest AutomóvilVerde

right there with you on the european fords...

the sketches of the car look good, but the wheel perspective is off like sketchyd said...

Guest Kaiyuan

Hmm Youre right about the wheels

I never noticed the front wheel was off, but I'm not really seeing what's wrong with the rear wheel.

post-24002-1233516613.jpg

Sorry it's a little blurry.