Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kaiyuan

Kar

Guest Kaiyuan
I personally think it is a little bit early to actually develope a style, since those 'will' change later on. I think the key point is to be able to do all that fundamental rendering, and then a style. (yet maybe you already know all of them, since you've been learning for awhile)

About your portfolio reviews, honestly, I AM 'XXXXing' SURPRISED.

Why? Because just 1 year ago, ACCD told me 'NOT' to subject stuff otherthan product stuff. They said they JUST want to see product, and that is it. I ended up submitting my finearts anyways, and... I don't think they looked at that book, since I had my reference letter in there, and it came back untouched lol.

I wonder what caused such change in their expectations..

I was really surprised, because I was constantly told that like I should ONLY show trans stuff etc.

Someone told me that Art Center was changing up their curriculum? idk. But I have seen some day program trans students that are doing large paintings related to trans design, so I guess it wouldn't harm to learn some fine art.

Guest Kaiyuan

wowow i haven't posted here in a while. again.

so, no ID classes for this term of AC. i'm pretty busy with school stuff, so i decided to use this off-term-ish time to work on stuff that i've had trouble on, like.. Figures!

i do say i've gotten better:

post-24002-1266723519.jpg

some trans. sketches:

post-24002-1266723555.jpg

i just got a tombow and waterbrush. it's like watercolor except less mess and easier to use. i felt inspired by Maxim Shershnev's work, so i've been experimenting a lot lately.

post-24002-1266723636.jpg

^this was my first tombow/waterbrush rendering

post-24002-1266723665.jpg

^this was after like 20 watercolor renderings.

i'm kinda liking this style of rendering. when i first saw the watercolor rendering style i didn't really like it, but right now it's an interesting way of showing a product and exploring light/contrast.

question: how do designers get their inspiration and incorporate it into their designs? i lurk lots of trans designers' blogs and they have all these crazy shapes and stuff, and they have an image of their inspiration, and remarkably, they both relate to eachother in a cohesive way. i can't seem to find any inspiration myself that i can work off of though D: like, i'm inspired by so much, but when i try to incorporate that inspiration into my designs, it doesn't work out right.

Guest tarngerine

relax, take your time. inspiration will come into your work naturally. if you try to force it, it probably won't end up so good. not saying that i'm good at translating inspiration into my designs, but this is what i think about not being able to use inspiration in my designs.

i think one of the most glaring issues is your lineweight. i'm not exactly sure where to look, and all the heavy lines in the middle of the form are a little distracting. i'd look at how trans people use their lineweights to emphasize weight, features, silhouettes...

nice figure, the arms are a little short, and the feet are out of perspective (honestly hands and feet are the hardest, so no problem). i'd also draw the horizontal contourline on the face where the eyes are. you kind of have it where the moustache would be.

Guest Taro

Actually, there are many times where you 'must' force to be inspired, you must make extra time to go out and hope to be inspired by something, then come home, and spend all night drawing them out.

I think one thing you might be able to try is, find existing concept cars, and without looking at any inspirational images, try to think what might have inspired the designer. <-- I've never tried, but it might work, who knows.

-----------------------------------------

@cars

you cars are all okay, but all 3 of them are off, at least to me, they look weird.

Also, as far as I see, all trans 1 students does during their first term are sketches rendered with prismacolor and chalk, and markers. <--- So if you master these, maybe you will really find class easy here.

@human

When you are learning human sketches, it is better to first off draw bones and muscles, and possibily naked figures. Right now, you are not really learning that much by drawing those kinds of figures. Those are not expressive enough, he doesn't have muscle, or joints, or bones, and all that, just someone in a suit. Imagine if you took off that suit, he would look really off.

Guest Kaiyuan

post-24002-1267338605.jpg

^working on lineweight. uhh yea i need to change some things to that o.o

i usually try to have readers look at the headlight area first, i tried thickening that line above the wheel hub but the rest of the lines are sorta about the same thickness? and the back wheel is off.

ignore the figure. it was totally random.

i'm taking a figure drawing class right now so i can clean up my figures during this time of year (i'm really busy, but mmight as well do something less time consuming that will help me). we draw from a live model but the instructor emphasizes more on gesture and expression through the lines. i think this might help me become freer in sketching. like he was us to get the proportions right/anatomy right, but still have an overall expressive sketch and all done in like 2-5 minutes.

Guest Kaiyuan

It's been so long (again)

post-24002-1274031776.jpg

WAS supposed to be a future bmw 8 series design

then it started looking like an audi

then citroen

and now it's a hyundai/honda/acura =_= wtf?

Guest Gringoire

I really like the taillight design... hmm.... quite hard perspective so there are some mistakes here and there but here's a hint:

E.G. If I say: I want to make the new lada 4X4... I should not end up with a ferrari looking like thing and say yeah... wtf...

When you start something finish it... don't start with Bmw and end up with wtf... be straight!

And oh... this is quite an excuse to hide the incapability of reproducing the dynamic design that bmw designers play with...

Anyways ... if not to say the previous... Good Job!

Guest Kaiyuan

I'm pretty bad at updating my work on here ><

^And I didn't see your reply until now! D: Thanks for the advice!

I'm currently working on my first portfolio project. I started it during the beginning of summer (around June-ish) I planned to finish it before school started for me (which was a few days ago), but I ended up not really getting anywhere haha.. still in development stage.

Here's a render i did a few weeks ago. I'm not using this as my final design, so I decided to upload it.

post-24002-1283032850.jpg

I never finished the front wheel..because I got sidetracked with summer homework I procrastinated on haha. I'll finish it before I put it inside my portfolio.

This is a new type of rendering I'm trying to use (more realistic and simple)

I'll be working on my portfolio from now until I apply (Spring 2012). Yes, it's a long time, but I want to put as much time into my work as I can.

Critique? Are the reflections wack? (haha I'm asking this because I know they're off somehow).

Guest Kaiyuan
so you've decided to go trans?

Yup. I feel like it's a better route for me, and I've planned everything out just in case something goes wrong along the way LOL. I'll apply for trans design, if I get into AC (crossing my fingers), I'll do what I gotta do, graduate (hopefully get a nice internship along the way or something, maybe get sponsored for my grad project? That would be perfect), and hopefully get a job in the trans design field. If the job part doesn't work out, I can see if I can get a product design job. If not, then I'll try for entertainment. if that doesn't work, I'll work at some boba place and hopefully find an ID job :).

How has art center been treating you? haha