Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest katerina

Rhino Modeling Help :((

Guest katerina

hi guys iam new in rhino. i wanna ask how can i model the cap of water bottle.

the neck (i think i can call like this , or the hinches of cap. ) i dont know how to explane... himmm i put two photos.

i try to make a sprial tupe than project to surface, it didnt work. i hope sameone can help me...

please dont tell me to go to rhino official web side etc bcz i asked them already didnt help plus thee is same webside you guys suggest me , that i need to pay..

please help me . thanks alot.

post-21127-1231637572.jpg

post-21127-1231637594.jpg

Guest JCarruthers

The tutorials that come with Rhino, I forget if it's Level I, II, or in the manual, have that. Don't try to 'project' the spiral onto a surface, you just make the spiral and use it to sweep (or maybe pipe)the thread, which you then boolean to the cap.

Guest Austin Brown

make one spiral that is slightly (veeeery slightly) smaller diameter than the neck of the bottle.

Make another one with the same parameters and dimensions as the first BUT with a wider diameter.

This will leave you with two lines that spiral up the neck of the bottle like a train track.

Draw the cross section of the thread (the screw part) which would look something like a triangle or a trapezoid.

Sweep 2 rails (the spirals) with the trapezoid/triangle as the cross section curve.

Cap this object and then boolean union it to the neck. You could also trim and join the two together.

Guest simpo

Maybe you can try this.

To create the thread,

1. Using Curve>>> Helix create the path for sweep.

2. Create the cross sections for the helix path.

3. Do the Sweep 1 rail.

The main bottle bottle should be easy...

Guest katerina

many thnakss guyssss thanks alottttt

i tried both way and both are perfect and work many thanks

Guest katerina

yea iam learning rhino. school is not teaching us anything about 3d modeling and programmes , and iam trying to learn with rhini tutorials in internet and same books

but schoool is asking us to do model without teaching , i think it is unfair. and iam tryin to do my designs in rhino but ican get stuck sametimes, if smt i need to model that i didnt learn from the tutorials.

bcz of that iam asking alot of questions. :P

many thanks people

One fundamental problem with designers and engineers when modeling above the crown of a bottle.... the product cap does not fit the prototype.

You develop a concept and go for a prototype. In the presentation meeting you want the production cap to screw onto your SLA right? Don't use a machinery handbook to obtain details about the thread. Go directly to the manufacture and ask them to email you a PDF showing the precise dimensions. Then when you recreate to that drawing you get the production cap to screw on.

once 6 years back I developed 20 or so of 100+ bottles. My twenty bottles were the only bottles that caps actually screwed on. Now i teach that type of stuff in my two day plastics part design class... check it out: http://www.proetools.com/courses/plastics/plastics.htm

good luck