Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gringoire

Ballpoint Pen Or Whatever...

Guest qitnic

It's cool to draw cars and it's good to draw what you really like but you really need to do basics. Learn perspective, draw lines, ellipses... as crazy.

When you're giving tips to other members it's as if a guy who doesn't know what cancer is, tries to explain how to cure it.

/qitnic

Guest Gringoire
It's cool to draw cars and it's good to draw what you really like but you really need to do basics. Learn perspective, draw lines, ellipses... as crazy.

When you're giving tips to other members it's as if a guy who doesn't know what cancer is, tries to explain how to cure it.

/qitnic

Hey... does quick sketch ring any bell?... This for perspective... And don't worry, I'm drawing lines and ellipses... but not as crazy... And my tips refer to the basics... that I've been through... But enough with me... what about you?... I can't wait to see your work...

Guest Gringoire

Ok... so now I'm working on basic things (lines ellipses... bla bla...) I've listened to all advices, but I got confused... I can't seem to make an overall of my progress, activity, style... etc... etc... Can anyone help me? ... P.S. I'm getting a bit stuck with the pen... is it me or the pen has it's limits... or are my limits coming out...?

Thank you!

Guest Taro

on a side note, I like that car you drew. I think it looks fantasy/cartoonish because of the weird wheels lol. It looks like its turning/drifting at an extremely fast speed lol.

However, it still looks wrong.

I think you need to explain specifically on what you need here. New activities? or what. And you have NOT reached the limit with a pen, you have reached the ... imaginary limit of yourself. Base on what you said, are you confused because.. no matter what you practice, you don't seem to improve and you can't apply them to your sketches?

if so, then I think it is absolutely a waste of time for anyone here to give you comments on your car drawing, you should just be massively posting up your 'practices'

keep it up.

- ps. i just went n saw that blog, hmm like many said and i repeat right now. that intro is not a good idea.

Guest Gringoire

Thanks Taro... I seem to get the point... it's just that... progress is slow... beautiful but extremely slow... And if I try to rush it... then it all ends with a big mess... And I have to start again... and again... and so on... And I cannot seem to understand why sometimes I draw cars very good and why sometimes I end up with monsters?... even if I do some training before beginning the actual work... I guess I'll find all these "FAQs" practicing...

Thank you!

Guest Taro

well, you have to start slow anyways, then once your confident and used to it.. you will automatically speed up.

It's either your not practicing enough, or your just too eager to complete it.

Guest Gringoire

Audi CrossJet... based on audi roadjet (the shape) .... and nuvolari... (headlights)...

post-27742-1234274035.jpg

post-27742-1234274045.jpg

post-27742-1234274056.jpg

Guest jmc

Out of the 3 last sketches you've posted there, my fave is definately the first one. The perspective is right, and the concept is interesting. Just watch out for your handwriting, I can't read a thing! Report to pro sketches to see how they write.

No comments on the 2nd one, but the 3rd seems kind of wrong. You've messed up the perspective and worked too much on the details. Looks like you've spent half an hour on it but it's still wrong.

Since your strength is drawing the small details and shading carefully to make perfect gradients, you should skip this long step. You know your thing enough and you don't need to waste your time on it anymore. You should focus 100% on quick 5 minutes sketches like you did on the first sketch, and make sure the perspective is right everytime. Also train your wrist to obey your brain, practice different radius curves, ellipses and right lines (vertical + horizontal).

I think that's where you could get the best improvements. Once you master that part, you can add gradients and details and they will seriously kick @$$!

Guest Austin Brown

JMC gives good advice. If you've got a skill, put it in your back pocket and bring all your other skills up to the same level. Would you please post a sketch of some basic shapes, forms, cylinders, boxes, and other practice? Then we can help get you started on the right track. I have yet to see much of your practice, and that's what you need to work on the most. I also would like to see your lines done with a lot less pen work. It seems like every line on your car is made up of five or more lines with the pen. It looks messy. And that, combined with strange/wrong perspective, and funky ellipses just means that you are working really hard on what can only ever be an OK sketch at best. Please post up some clean, simple practice.

Guest Gringoire
And that, combined with strange/wrong perspective, and funky ellipses just means that you are working really hard on what can only ever be an OK sketch at best. Please post up some clean, simple practice.

Is my perspective wrong... ? I really worked hard on making sketches as proportional as I could... I have to admit that I do have some mistakes on my recent work but I cannot understand how or why the perspective is off... However I will start cutting off "pen work" and post some clean and simple practice... thank you!

Guest Austin Brown

try this... draw as many different types of bottles as you can imagine all on one page. I think you understand perspective, but you're being let down by your ellipses and the quality of your pen work - the lines look very consistent and dark. Try working on making them emotional, directional, and evocative. Right now, they look dull.

Great to see practice, but the first thing you need to do with your practice work is draw shapes without trying to draw actual things. Circles, lines, ellipses, boxes, cubes, triangles, rectangles. Not pens, logos, cars, etc.

Also, you need to fill up the page to bursting. there is still a whole lot of unused paper there. You need to be fed up with sketching before you quit. That way you know you're training yourself. It's a lot like weightlifting. The harder you work, the quicker you improve - but it will hurt, and you'll be tired.

Guest Gringoire

some practice... I noticed that, depending on the time spent I get more accurate and quick ... I started with the side of the car... and I got pretty stuck in lines and it took me a while to get the wheels done but they look quite messed up... The rear of the car was made fast and it seemed more easy after some practice with the side of the car... and yes... I used marker... for the first time:))...

post-27742-1234616594.jpg