Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gringoire

Ballpoint Pen Or Whatever...

Guest Gringoire

ok... I get it!... I'll start working on something and hope it will be considered a pen sketch... thank you for the advice!

Guest Gringoire

This is an "architectural" sketch... the perspective is alright... I started the sketch with the front wheel, I didn't imagine the car... I just drew an ellipse... then the other, but this time (after drawing the first one... observing it's angle and size)... much more easier... also helped by those 2 auxiliary side lines that show the height of the wheels and the angle of perspective for the side of the sketch... then... Try to imagine a cube with a curved face... that's how the shape of the car's face appeared... after drawing a very thin imaginary line... the rest of the face (lower, mid, grill, headlights came from extremely thin auxiliary lines that you can hardly notice... What is important is that I made the car look as simple as I could... not shading... no contrast... only ellipses, curves and lines... I made the wheels so ''tight'' with the car's body because it is easier to observe and a considerable... real space between wheels and body would have made the sketch a bit confusing... there is one shaping detail that I've added on this sketch, in order to make the perspective look better... and that's the side curve that makes the sketch look a bit more real...

Hope you enjoyed my presentation... and I also believe that I've made more improvement in car sketching...

Thank you!

post-27742-1232032478.jpg

perspective of your wheels to the car is off.

its much cleaner.

but how did u go about drawing it?

seems like u started with pencil or an eraseable pen.

And then drew your final lines, then erased the rest of it?

What we are trying to get you to develop by drawing in pen is the ability to quickly sketch out ideas.

But at the same time cleanly.

Right now, this isnt a sketch.

Its more like lineart.

I coudl imagine blocking your drawing with colors, like a coloring book.

dont try to jump so quickly into cleaning it up.

Its a sketch.

We shoudl see the guidelines you used.

Draw through.

Here ill upload a quick pen sketch:

100720081616.jpg

Using this logic, and sketch technique.

You are able to pump out ideation sketches 'like that'

(these are pretty old sketches...)

time01.jpg

Guest Austin Brown

Gringoire,

Try building the car's body first and then allow the perspective of the car to drive the perspective of the wheels. I just posted to Taro's forum about the same problem. It might work, bu you are not learning how to go about this the right way. You need to be able to draw an ellipse in any orientation, and it needs to be decided by the perspective of the body or the whole sketch.

Give that other forum a look and let me know if you need me to clarify anything. Good luck and keep it up. Maybe a step by step sketch would help us to help you...

Guest Gringoire

there was no pencil nor ''erasable'' pen (I've never heard of such thing...) I just made some extremely thin orientation or auxiliary (how I like to call them...) lines... Thanks sketchyd for your reply I seem to get the point... And Austin, I am able to draw ellipses in almost any orientation... I can start with the body... but I used to get stuck somewhere at the front of the car... so I start with the wheels... but... I can start with the car's body... it will slow me a bit but i can make it... Thank you for the advice... I will post my next work soon... hoping that it will be considered a sketch...

Guest Austin Brown

as long as you use a sketching technique, the quality doesnt matter. It's all about the intent. Also, if the skill is difficult like you mentioned on the front of the car, then it just means that you need to practice a bit more - until it is easier to do. If ellipses are easy, then you don't need to work as hard on them. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with...

Guest Taro
well whats the point in using pens if they can erase??

not everyone uses a pen for drawing purpose, erasring pen mark is handle when writing stuff. Also, all i have/saw are inky pen, there are no.. ballpoint erasable pen.. yet.

Guest Austin Brown

that's funny, b/c the only erasable pens I've ever seen are ballpoints. The inky pens - as you call them - tend to soak into the page while BPs write on the surface, making them easily erasable.

Guest Gringoire

I've never heard of erasable pens... ballpoint ones... About ink pens... I've heard that there is some kind of thing that you apply on the spot and the ink just vanishes... But I use only ballpoint ones so... never heard of such thing... P.S. Can you sketch a car with ink based pens... because I find it difficult to believe... I think all you can get from them are scratches... maybe I'm wrong... who knows...

you can but i suggest using a ballpoint.

because ballpoint = easiest pen to get varying line weights

where as ink pens = u are limited to the thickness of that pen: 0.3 0.4 0.5 etc

Guest Austin Brown

it's also quite difficult to sketch with fast, clean, emotional strokes in a felt tip or ink pen. the ink just doesn't flow out fast enough for most quick sketchers to use them...

Guest Gringoire

After some good research... Now I know why concepts are concepts and new cars are new cars... This went way better than my last one... And I seem to understand this kind of shape the most...

post-27742-1232825991.jpg