Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gringoire

Ballpoint Pen Or Whatever...

Guest Gringoire

thank you all for helping me... I will follow all the advices and I'll soon post the results... however prismacolor doesn't exist in my city... because I've searched for it... I will use the pen... I will master pensketching... (to be continued...)

Guest Gringoire

this was before reading the advices... I don't think it looks bad... without the minor mistakes...

post-27742-1231766986.jpg

Guest Taro

not gonna say much about this one, again, artistic point of view, its not bad.

and i would say your style doesn't fit in to industrial design style of sketching. Everyone develop their own style eventually, but I believe that's after you master the basic.

ps. you 'style' right now is still TOO much similarities with pencil.

Guest Gringoire

Guess I'll have to develop another style... I'll do my best... or almost... or whatever... Anyway, I've started to learn... let's say... the basics which means lines curves ellipses spheres cubes pyramids... I'm on the road and that's for sure... and... soon I will catch up with students from design schools... and eventually hit the top... and with no formal ''art school lessons...'' ... or whatever... in conclusion... Hang on!... cuz I'm comin'... (to be continued...)

Heres your 'style'

You are using your pen as if it was a pencil.

You can create your own style, but you are using a different medium.

The reason why people use pen is to get those clean crisp lines.

Therefore you shouldnt use it the same way you would as if it was a pencil.

Different tools calls for different use.

We understand that its something new to you, and that its hard for you to grasp this concept.

But you need to work on it.

Its possible to get shadows using pen.

But not the way that you are using it.

If you are gonna be stubborn in keeping your so called, 'style'

Then i really dont see a point in you using pen.

Cuz that affect is better achieve with a pencil.

But if you want to learn to use pen correctly, keep practicing.

Pros for using pen versus pencil.

+ Faster Improvement because it FORCES you to stop erasing

+ Faster and speedier sketches

+ Learn to INDICATE shapes and forms without fully rendering your object

Ideation Sketches are all about INDICATING form.

Guest Austin Brown

I'll back up what sketchyd said. The best reason to use a pen is to get better at using any writing instrument to sketch out what you're thinking.

this is because:

You can't erase, so you learn to put what you are thinking about down correctly the first time.

You can draw a cube with 9 lines and it will be a cube. No shading, no cast shadow, no contour lines. ALl that other stuff is bonus that you can add if you want to.

You'll train your arm/wrist to respond to your every command.

You can get feedback from people that doesn't revolve around your use of pencil. Recently most of the feedback has been along the lines of "don't use pencil...pencil is too 'artsy'...work on lines before shading". Once you begin using pen, you'll get feedback that is much more focued:"your perspective is off...work on lineweight...your lines are too cautious"

This feedback is much more valuable because it deals with your skills, and not your "style". Having a style is fine, but if it clashes with what Industrial Designers are used to, it may not be a good thing.

Guest Taro

ps. if u really insist on using a pencil, go ahead, but don't erase. Since I know quite a lot of pencil before pen, I can give you some advice on it too.

Guest under-dog

Pencil, pen....... whatever they are all just different tools. It will not hurt you to learn to use a new tool. In fact it can only improve you. And to be honest you should learn tou use as many tools as you can work into your arsenal. every job has the right tool even though a less appropriate tool can be forced or fudged to "get the job done".

It would be like a carpenter saying that he cant use a screwdiver and screws because the first thing he learned to use was a hammer and nail and he is very comfortable with it.

Both are fasteners but each has specific strengths for specific applications. Being too lazy to learn a new technique is not an excuse..........

It is the same with any competency, the associated tools and related techniques. Sketching included.....

Sketching is different than drawing, like you would do in a life study drawing class. It will help you to lock down the basics of drawing before approaching ID sketching. You need an understanding of the basics(how light works, tonal value etc.) before you can try and create it on your own with different techniques.

I know you are touting no formal training, self tought..... But IMHO opinion you need to get a better grasp on the basics. Whether this means copying from existing works, video, book or better yet formal training. Even if its a stand alone continuing ed class.

Guest Gringoire

ok... so I've read all the advices... and here's what... : First problem... the scanner makes some errors... so the pictures don't look excellent... second... I've started from 0... as an example... (you have one down)... and doing 2 hours only on circles lines... etc...etc... really makes a difference... I posted a car sketch... the fastest car sketch I could make... (it took me 5 min)... rough but different than my other creations... and I hope I'm on the right track... (to be continued...)

post-27742-1231857786.jpg

post-27742-1231857800.jpg

Guest Gringoire

what I'm trying to say... or to ask, is... Does the last sketch relate to normal design sketches...? Because if it does... I'll start working on it!

Thank you...

Guest under-dog

You keep referring to how fast you are making your sketches. Forget about how fast and concentrate on how good for now. Fast will come later.

"First you get good, then you get fast"

This is the time for you to do this. If you are not doing it professionally and it is still somewhat of a hobby the pressure is off so focus on getting good. Once you do that things will fall into place and you will get faster as you refine your technique and become more comfortable, more confident.

ok... so I've read all the advices... and here's what... : First problem... the scanner makes some errors... so the pictures don't look excellent... second... I've started from 0... as an example... (you have one down)... and doing 2 hours only on circles lines... etc...etc... really makes a difference... I posted a car sketch... the fastest car sketch I could make... (it took me 5 min)... rough but different than my other creations... and I hope I'm on the right track... (to be continued...)

you are still using your pen like if it was a pencil.

you need to learn to get out of that habit.

its two differnt design tools with two different ways of using it.

Look at any Good PEN sketch and you will notice that.

1- its usually only one or two strokes of the pen at the most!

2- its clean, simple, almost like a 'wire-frame' sketch