Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gringoire

Ballpoint Pen Or Whatever...

Guest Gringoire

I erased my first sketch because it was rubbish compared to my potential... However, I invite you to view my other work and say what you have to say... Thank you!

Guest MBW17

its pretty rough..

but i really don't understand why you did all the haity lines by the windows, it makes it look a lot messier and if you want to shade something in, do slanting lines with some white showing through...

keep sketching tho with the pen.

~Mason

Guest Gringoire

I don't know... I tried pen sketching before but it didn't work... the pencil seems to be the best tool... I master it way better than the pen... and to master the pen at the same level as pencil means to start... actually from the basics... And I've had a lot of ''back to the basics'' before... another one would be to much... and don't tell me that the pencil sketches (those that I made)... were ''for nothing'' because I must do pen sketching... not pencil...

Guest Taro

first of all, I hope that your pen really makes you comfortable when you're sketching. They are all ball point, but each brand .. is different.. some may be a bit smoother etc etc. HOWEVER, i dont think that should be an excuse anyways. Also, when your doing pen sketches, try having papers under, for me, that makes it much easier to control my pen.

okay, now your sketch.

I am the same with you, I did pencil (traditional art) first b4 I start using pen. As you said, you are much better at pencil than pen, than I don't think pen should be hard, it would be really fast to get used to it as long as you practice.

When using a pen to sketch, don't try shading it like a pencil at this moment. And if you really want to shade it, dont cross hatch it. The direction of your shadow seems to go the same way mostly, which means you're only shading because you're comfy shading at that position; what you should really do is think about which way the shading should go to make it look better n more natural.

honestly, your lines are much better than mine when I started using pen, mine was much more hairier (sounds wrong lol).

I don't suggest drawing cars at this moment, because from the look of your car, it doesnt seem like you have perspective and proportion down solid yet. (which doesnt make a difference weither using pen or pencil).

let me think.. uhh.. sketchyd used to get us to do cubes and lines, and they actually improved me really fast. You just have to get the easy stuff ( the cubes and lines) than make a transition to actual sketch.

good luck. btw mind scanning one of your pencil?

Yeah, you're probably right; none of these guys on the forum know what they're talking about. (Sarcasm)

The pen will help your line work, which right now isn't very good. You're right you can't erase your mistakes which is perfect because you want to catch the mistakes you're making and correct them.

A healthy dose of humility goes a long way regardless if you're a professional or still a student.

haha im happy that u attempted it

i know u disagree, but trust me u can get some awesome lines with a ballpoint pen.

it takes practice

and u need to work on gettin out of the pencil mindset as soon as possible

Guest Gringoire

Here's another sketch... to tell you the truth... the first post... was a 5min sketch... the roughest I could do... I did pen sketching before... and quite a lot... but I just love to sketch with pencils... this sketch is some sort of project I will be involved in... and it's based on japanese culture... however I combined a samurai helmet with a car and there it is...

post-27742-1231676390.jpg

Guest Gringoire

This thing is a bit older... I just found it exploring in my computer files... it belongs to the time when all of my works were edited in Image Ready... however, from the artistic point of view... it looks cool... or... whatever...

post-27742-1231687047.jpg

Guest Taro

from an artistic point of view, like you said, i LOVE your second one lol.

from a transportation point of view, doesn't explain much. I still really like it tho.

ok, your project, I like the samurai idea, so not gonna say too much about your idea.

I think thats a pen sketch right? so you will need to find a new way to show shadow, right now, your shadow ruins it all.

you have nice lines, but please use guidelines, especially when drawing a car. if you look at the car that you drew, you will notice that the left and right is not equal, which you should never do, despite sketching skills.

good luck, hope to see more.

Guest Gringoire

oh man... believe me... how can you ''spread'' pen ink or pasta or whatever?... I only know as shadowing... doing lines... and a bit with: angle them from perspective point...'' ... and that much... as I said pencil I can master... shadows... lines... almost everything... but when it comes to ... shadowing using pen, it all ends to drawing lines... and maybe sometimes crossing them... if I the perspective let's me do that... in conclusion... I'M Confused...

Guest Taro

first of all, NO BODY asked you to draw shadows right? Most people would use contour line, or just really clear line weight.

I would still have to say that, yes, ive seen people drew shadow with pen, but its just not like that.

take a look this is what you might want to aim for.

http://www.drawthrough.com/images_gallery/...rs_1_268_t2.jpg

he only shaded in the car's shadow, and just used line weight to identify the rest. I think it looks good.

o ya, and make sure when your shading in the shadow (if u insist on doing so), try your best to make it so that the lines are equaly apart.

Guest Live Design

i guarantee if you draw with a biro all the time you will improve much faster than using pencils.

as the nib is constant all the time you dont waste time by sharpening it and you gain line thinkness and quality by carrying on without erasing anything which also wastes time.

it will also increase your confidence over time. it just seems a bit odd and confusing at first.

stick with it!

Guest Austin Brown

if you simply must use pencil, start using a prismacolor verithin colored pencil. it will stay much sharper for longer, it will scan better, and you can use it as a bridge between your skills with a graphite pencil and using a pen. Pleas have an open mind and at least listen to those around you trying to help improve your sketching. There's a lot of really valuable knowledge here, and it would be a shame to miss out on it all.

Here's another sketch... to tell you the truth... the first post... was a 5min sketch... the roughest I could do... I did pen sketching before... and quite a lot... but I just love to sketch with pencils... this sketch is some sort of project I will be involved in... and it's based on japanese culture... however I combined a samurai helmet with a car and there it is...

Your just gonna have to get out of the 'love for pencils' its hard but steer clear from it!

Its only gonna hamper your improvement rate.

But like that link taro posted up, you can get some really Clean, non rough sketches with pen!

Also what you did there with ure samurai helmet is EXTREMELY SHALLOW DESIGN.

What i mean by that is.

You should try to incorporate the elements of the the helmet into the ENTIRE car, not just the headlights, grill, side mirrors.

For example:

Right off the bat, i can see that the helmet has these characteristics:

-layered

-armored

But instead of adding this element to ure car... your car still looks like an ordinary CAr with a funky nose.

Try to 'Design the Entire Car.'

Here Better yet...

Try to imagine, that you have no idea what a car looks like, uve never seen one in your life.

But u want to design one after seeing a samurai helmet.

This way you can truly design without much constraints.

Guest Taro

Here Better yet...

Try to imagine, that you have no idea what a car looks like, uve never seen one in your life.

But u want to design one after seeing a samurai helmet.

This way you can truly design without much constraints.

i really like that.