Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AutomóvilVerde

Illustrator Or Photoshop?

Guest MikeWied

Hey man,

If you're really curious about sketching on the computer with a tablet, here's what I'd do. Go buy you a Wacom Bamboo ($80), and download ArtRage ($25). Don't go overboard with buying CS4 and an Intuous when you're just starting out. Here's why. Sketching on paper is one thing. Sketching on a tablet is another. You basically have to learn how to draw all over again cause you're not used to the eye-hand coordination. And you may end up not liking it.

Now I'm not trying to talk you out of going out and buying digital sketching software and a tablet by any means. I love having photoshop cause it allows me to undo parts of a sketch if I don't like them, and I like the use of layers, vectors etc. And having it on my laptop, it's convenient for me to carry around an entire drawing studio, that I can save and have sketches ready to go for SolidWorks rather than just pen and paper. And when I have a couple concepts in mind, I can scale and move those thoughts around on the digital "paper" to have like 20 concepts on one piece. Thats just my take on it.

Guest Austin Brown

nicely put, but you touched on the fact that you have to be/become competent with a digital style of sketching to get any real use out of a tablet. It's not a bad thing to learn, but I feel like it might be overload to be learning two daunting techniques that look and sound similar, but are actually completely different. There are a lot of advantages to being able to sketch digitally, and I think Mike hit on most of them. Unfortunately, you may end up in the interview of a lifetime and be asked to sketch an idea for the heck of it - maybe someone wants to see how you think on your feet - and if you are used to digital, you can really muck things up.

Just be careful of how many things you put on your plate and make sure that you have your priorities straight - whatever they may be.

-austin

Guest twinger19

Learn to use both!!! There are some things PS does better and some things AI does better. If you learn to use both you will get the best results. I rarely get through a project without using both at some point.

I'm kinda new to the whole designing thing, so I was just wondering which is best for scanning sketches, and editing them. And for drawing on the computer, because my dad was saying something about on illustrator you can mirror one side too the other.

Guest Mansy

Adobe made both Photoshop and Illustrator, and as I understand it, the original difference between them was that Photoshop was for working with bitmap images, while Illustrator was for working with vector images. However, in recent years Adobe has added some vector-like features to photoshop, such as editable text (photoshop 5 didn't have it at least) as well as the pen tool and paths.

As most of my experience up to this point has been with Photoshop, my question is, what does Illustrator do that Photoshop does not do?

Guest spook
Learn to use both!!! There are some things PS does better and some things AI does better. If you learn to use both you will get the best results. I rarely get through a project without using both at some point.

I completely agree. they work great together and can open each others files. I generally use photoshop for touching up renders and stuff like that, but do all the graphic design in illustrator.

but if i only had to choose between the two, i would go with illustrator.