Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AutomóvilVerde

Illustrator Or Photoshop?

Guest AutomóvilVerde

I'm kinda new to the whole designing thing, so I was just wondering which is best for scanning sketches, and editing them. And for drawing on the computer, because my dad was saying something about on illustrator you can mirror one side too the other.

Guest odd_concept

You can scan in both. It is usually done by the scanner utility(It is an import). But you will only be able to clean up the scan in photoshop. You can however, trace it in illustrator. I say photoshop.

Photoshop: easier to get photorealistic results. Brushes and other tools more intuitive.

Illustrator: Harder to get realistic results. But if you manage to make nice vector image it can be enlarged(or shrunk) to any size you want (The benefits of vectors)

If you are new to this, I definately say photoshop.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Good cause I don't know how to use Illustrator, but what's a vector?

Guest odd_concept

Photoshop: Bitmap

Illustrator: Vector

Bitmap: is actual pixels so when you resize something you make the pixels bigger or smaller. So reducing size is usually not a problem but increasing size is.

Vector: The computer uses mathematical formulas for all the lines and fills, thus allowing you to take a small vector image and make it the size of a billboard and the lines will still be perfect.

This is a pretty simple explanation, but read the link below for a little more info.

http://www.adobe.com/education/webtech/CS2...b_bitmap_id.htm

Hope this helps!

Guest odd_concept

Not necessarily, you should though start of with Photoshop and as you learn more you will see some of the benefits of Illustrator.

Good Luck!

Guest Austin Brown

As others have said, photoshop is the way to go when it comes to cleaning up and "painting" scanned images. But you should never think that Illustrator is useless to the designer. There will probably be a day when you will prefer to use Illustrator instead of Photoshop, but that's a long way off. The benefits of Illustrator are huge, but the learning curve is much more steep than that of Photoshop.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Ya and I already know the basics of photoshop, but do you recommend that I use photoshop now, or just draw free hand?

Guest Austin Brown

Don't touch Photoshop unless you need it for one of the following:

Laying out a page (concept page, portfolio page, etc.) with sketches - done on paper originally

Cleaning up a scanned sketch - done on paper originally

Adding some shading/color to a sketch - done on paper originally

Do you see the common theme? You need to be amazing at sketching on a piece of paper before you attempt to wrestle with photoshop. The skills will transfere much more easily from paper to PS than the other way. And if you get good enough at hand-sketching, you might never need photoshop anyway.

Guest MBW17

hey man, im pretty young too, and I think you should work on hand sketching and rendering with markers and such before moving into software

1- software is expensive..and the tablet..

2-sketching something on the comp. won't make it any better..

I made the mistake of getting a tablet right now, but a barley use it now bc i like hand sketching and rendering better, and with practice at that will make you better and better...

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Austin - The only thing I use photoshop for is just cleaning up scanned sketches, if there are random marks... But you're right I do need to get better at hand sketching first.

MBW17 - I still don't know how to render, other than some basic shadowing with pencil, need to stick with basics first. I have the software anyways since my dad does photography. I have Elements and all the CS's, so that's not really a problem. My dad also got a tablet, I refused to use it after trying, it's way to hard.

Guest Austin Brown

the tablet is great once you have it set up and working properly, but i have never been able to get that far with mine. It always gives me such problems that I get frustrated and use a pen at the table instead of photoshop.

It's good that you want to get better at hand sketching before moving into the computer. That's the way i think it should be. I'm glad that I was taught this way.