Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AutomóvilVerde

Some Of My Sketches

Guest MBW17

well i would stick with prismacolor since your still learning, and they are good markers...i have a 72 pack of them...

copics are really good but really expensive...

you need about 4-5 cool greys, then u should get either warm or french greys too..

Guest Austin Brown

if you're going to spring for new markers anyway, go with the best you can get. Copics and Chartpaks are the best, but both are quite expensive. Copics are more verstile, since you can use them as airbrushes and change tips etc. It'll be more expensive to buy "cheaper" markers now and more expensive ones later when you're "better". I really like the old Tria markers but they recently got bought out and the quality is absolute crap. If you can find the ones with the opaque barrel, you can't go wrong. But the ones with the clear barrel are complete trash.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Can I use Copics with prismacolors? cause I don't want to waste the ones I have... and I checked the prices and the copics are about 2-3 times more $$$ than the prismacolors... if I get copics, should I get the best ones they have, the copic sketch, or the copic ciao? Is there really any difference for me since I still don't really know how to use these well... yet?

Sorry so many questions, just don't want to spend money blindly ;)

Guest MBW17

i would say copic original markers...i think im about to get a 36 pack...but they are good bc they are refillable...

good luck

Guest Austin Brown

Mixing markers is not as dangerous as mixing medications, but you should practice a bit with different methods of applying so that you don't destroy a great rendering for lack of practice. Things to look out for are:

Whether one marker goes over the other one better or vice versa.

The difference in results that arise from using the copics first or the prismas. one might do well over but not under the other

Which one bleeds more. drying time, etc.

How they react to each other on printer paper, vellum, marker paper, etc.

How the tips feel. one thing i love about copics(and the old trias) is that they just glide over the paper and have a little give to them.

I know that copics are pricey, but they're a great asset. Plus you can buy enough ink to refill a marker 4 or 5 times for just 10 bucks - really great for the grays and neutral colors you use all the time. If you have a few bucks lying around I'd suggest you run to the art store and buy one of each. A gray wide, a brightly colored brush tipped one, a blue or light blue standard/original. I don't know how many types there are, but the original ones(square barrel) are plenty versatile. The brush-tipped ones are a lot of fun, but a little harder to control. The wide is not really as useful as you'd think, just because it's really hard to keep it in the lines.

I rarely use my copics, but that's because a lot of them are dried out and I'd like to finish off my Trias before I splurge again on markers. I remember really liking the way they feel and mark though. Definitely just buy a few for the sake of a real-world test.

Also, unless you have the money, there's really no need to drop a wad on the sets. Just pick and choose the ones you need as the need arises. Definitely get a few cool greys and warm greys. light blues are good, as well as a couple of really bright colors for accents and such. As for black, nothing like a good ol' sharpie.

one more thing - copics and ballpoints are not very friendly. if you do a ballpoint sketch, make a photocopy of it or scan it because copics work really well on top of copies(toner). you can also do your sketch over the dried marker if you can see what you're doing without the lines...

I hate my prismacolors. I'll sell you a huge set of them for cheap. PM me.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

So I finally got my scanner to work...

How's the perspective?

post-27920-1235877310.jpg

post-27920-1235877330.jpg

post-27920-1235877352.jpg

post-27920-1235877362.jpg

post-27920-1235877376.jpg

Guest JOYRIDE

The persepective on some is a little off. Looks like you are doing well with the square stuff, but keep at the ellipses. The elipses of the cylander are not working. Just keep at it. I am terrible at a sketching organic stuff, so everyday I try to go through at least 100 elipses and then trying to get my curves under control in a fluid motion.

Also, dont be afraid to sketch past your endpoint. Hell, I will go back and add a little falloff in the end to give the sketch some more life.

And always try to keep sketches at the same angle on each page. On the last page, the square unit is at an angle to the remote stuff. I knwo these are probably just practice pages, but it is a good habit to get into. Also, use guide lines for text. Nothing can ruin a good sketch faster than some words that float off into nowhere. And keep all the text parallel to the bottom of the page.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

I just found a tutorial on perspective with ellipses, so I'll practice on those...

Guest Kaiyuan

Your perspective is ok.

The first render needs a light source. It's looking very flat and some depth will not only bring the object out, it'll emphasize your perspective.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

ya i know, I need to get more markers, the ones I have now are too similar and there's no contrast...

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Here's some more stuff. I got some more markers so did some boxes...

I probably won't be posting anything new for the next two weeks because I have a bunch of test/projects this week, and am going out of town on a college tour...

post-27920-1236538026.jpg

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Haven't posted much up for a while, been really busy with school and tennis. I've been sketching , but not as much as before, so here's just some of the stuff I've done...

I've gone back to the basics, so nothing complicated.

Ignore the geometry stuff , I'm trying to save and recycle paper that we use in class. :)

post-27920-1239165342.jpg

post-27920-1239165348.jpg

post-27920-1239165354.jpg