Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AutomóvilVerde

Some Of My Sketches

Ok i think we all sent this topic WAY out of the original request by 'AutomóvilVerde'

Im plannin on deleting or moving all the 'discussions' to a different topic.

So that we can go back to really helping Automovilverde

If you agree say 'OK'

Guest Buff

Sounds like good plan to me.

How about a new thred titled something along the likes of, "sketching versus illustration in ID"

I do think it's a valuable disscussion, particularly between students and 'professionals' (whatever that's supposed to meen)

I don't meen for that to sound patronising, (i'm good at doing that) I think csven is demonstration something of the day-to-day use of ideation sketching and how 'presentation sketching' is something of a differant discapline.

Its a usefull discussion, in particular as csven is begining to touch on the 'need' for ideation and presentaion type sketching in the 'real world'

Guest Taro

OK, good idea to move this discussion ; )

Just one more comment, I think a good drawing/sketching benefits in too many ways, not just personally, but to everyone around you. First of all, sketching is the only way you can measure improvement, otherwise your idea can't really "improve." Second, speaking about business, thats really cool Buff! ; ) wow thats all i can say lol. But don't you think that being able to sketch really good opens a new field for an ID? People like.. Carl Lui, i mean.. he wouldn't be publishing books if his sketch doesn't attract people enough right? And I own his books, and some other people's books, they show their process from beginning to end, and wow they are really nice lol.

So,, ya thank you all for sharing tho! You guys are professional, im not, so I should be learning from you guys.

Guest csven

A sticky that breaks down the different ways industrial designer skills are (or should be) used would be a worthwhile addition to the forum, imo. The first post in it could simply link to this thread and subsequent discussion could continue on it.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

sketchyd - ya can you do what buff said, make it another topic. Thanks

Btw any more critiques would be nice.

I think you have plenty. Linework, lineweight, go work on that.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

ya but how do you do line weight with pen without going over the same line multiple times?

Guest Austin Brown

you have to go over the lines once or twice to get heavier lineweight - or use a felt tip pen with wider lineweight. You can get LIGHTER lineweight by being really gentle with the pen, using only enough pressure to keep the ballpoint turning. this will allow you to get two lineweights without having to retrace your lines, and the third will only require a couple of strokes - three max to get the desired effect.

Guest Taro

there was an exercise I did, where you have to draw a straight line, and overlaps it 8 times, and by the time your familiar with that, they should look pretty close to one line. Also, you will feel that your line work has really improved alot, its really quick, I did about 15 of those, and i feel improvement every page.

ps. dont draw the lines hard tho, they should be 8 LIGHT and SOFT lines to form a thick line, otherwise your first line will just make an inprint on the paper.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

When you do those exercises do you use a ruler to get the first line straight, or just freehand?

Guest Taro

freehand for all.

if you want, try perfect circles in between lines, different sizes, w/e you like. Bigger = harder.

edit:

when you draw them, lock your fingers and wrist. Only use your arm, shoulders and perhaps body (if it gets THAT intense) to sketch these lines.

Guest MBW17

yes as Taro said sketch with your whole arm, not your wrist...

and look at sketchyd's topic of homework to do to sketch better, its helped me out...good luck!

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Ok, but one problem I have with circles is that I don't join the ends. Like this, and when I do the circle ends up really lopsided.

post-27920-1232342911.jpg

Guest Taro

thats fine, u wont get it at first, it took me awhile to get them to connect.. and now... they still dont look perfect.. not even close. lol.

but hey, these basic practice that you are doing will help you alot.

ps. really like how you attempt to do the circles in one stroke.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

These are small circles, little smaller than a bottle cap, so I try to do them in one line. If I do a bigger circle, I do a bunch of lines.