Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AutomóvilVerde

Some Of My Sketches

Guest AutomóvilVerde

the first picture are some notes on a project we have to do on people doing actions. most of the shoes are for a project our group did on corporate casual shoes, and we did some wingtips. some of the others were just for fun. the random objects was hw that we had which we had to sketch different things using very simple lines. all you guys' help came in really handy here :)

Guest AutomóvilVerde

This is one of the projects I did while I was at the Carnegie Mellon design program. We had to design and build a shoebox to fit a specific shoe. I chose these ones:

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.js...;colorId=G02170

I'm doing the black ones. These are the sketches I did at Carnegie Mellon for the box. I was going for a sleek, futuristic look. Also a alien spaceship kinda thing. The one I eventually built is the one on the bottom right on the last picture, and top left with the measurements. I originally wanted to do the one along the right side of the first picture, but when I built a model it turned out to waste a lot of space. And the cylinder on the first page didn't work out because when I built a cylinder earlier, it took forever to do, and couldn't get a good clean joint where the two edges meet.

post-27920-1251431064.jpg

post-27920-1251431095.jpg

post-27920-1251431099.jpg

Guest AutomóvilVerde

So, when I did that box, it didn't turn out as well as I expected, just poor craftsmanship, the hot glue gun was a very bad idea.... Oh and the blue stripes... just ignore them, they look horrible and I have no clue why I put them there, I think it was just too late...

So, now that school has started, and I need something to do for my first project, so I'm gona redo the shoebox! Originally I was going to use the same design as before, but now I'm considering redesigning it. So here are my sketches from my art sketchbook. The first page is the original design with measurements, the second and last are just designs, and the third are my comments on the shoes.

What I really want to do is something like the back of this phone, just curved to fit the shoes inside, but I would have to do it by cutting up triangles of plexiglass and gluing them together, and I don't know how to figure out how to arrange them in a patter that works.

http://www.couchavenue.com/wp-content/uplo...-diamond-00.jpg

Any advice would be nice, cause it's due on wednesday :P

post-27920-1251434370.jpg

post-27920-1251434375.jpg

post-27920-1251434377.jpg

post-27920-1251434380.jpg

Guest Taro

you really have to think about your layout before you do these idea developement.

since you are showing us, we have to be grabbed by your layout. Your layout should guide us through your ideas.

right now, it looks like each of them are on seperate sheets of paper, instead of 1 sheet.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

ya, they are on separate sheets of paper, when I finish the project I'm going to put them together

Guest Taro

:/ not what I meant, for example, the last page is a page of 5 ideas/sketches, yet they don't make any connection layout wise.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Oh, I see what you mean, I just did them randomly. How could I have done it better?

Guest Taro

First thing that you could do is making many thumbnails of different layouts you would like, then you at least have a reference to where things would go.

Also, it is hard for anyone to come up with a good layout just out of nowhere, so I suggest you look at the professionals' sketches and copy/learn their stuff.

carl liu 1

or look at these winner sketches

headphone comp

and John here did a little explanation of layout, pretty helpful.

layout

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Some perspective practice. I did a self critique, anything you guys want to add?

post-27920-1254875171.jpg

post-27920-1254875175.jpg

post-27920-1254875180.jpg

Guest AutomóvilVerde

hey guys. i'm still here. gonna start posting more often now that i have to get my portfolio ready.

so here's my latest project. the idea came from someone that was complaining about page turns while playing piano being distracting. he said that he wished there was a easier way. so after some thought and assumptions that i quickly learned were false, i decided to watch a friend play. this is what i have come up with so far. if you can't read anything just ask.

post-27920-1280117187.jpg

Guest AutomóvilVerde

So I've got some input from other people and been considering some other options.

I considered using tempo, the actual notes played, and just a simple timer.

The timer would just be too hard to judge how long the correct time is.

Using the notes played would be the most accurate option, if all the music was digitized in a special format. It would require that the music be in a readable format with software to decipher the notes. So pdf, jpeg, or any other image-type files would not work, meaning you couldn't just scan in your existing sheet music. There is software out there that can do this, but they're not always accurate and that would cause the user to have to manually edit the files, something i doubt they would like.

Tempo would be the best out of them because it's the easiest to implement. But it would still require you to know the tempo of the song. I'm not a musician so don't know this, do most musicians know the tempo of the song they're playing? Also, if there are multiple people playing at the same time, say in an orchestra, the tempo would not be accurate because of the other instruments.

This product would be used mostly in schools, bands, or orchestras. This is mainly because of the higher price tag something like this would carry. It is also for personal use, which is why I don't want something that depends on a proprietary sheet music format to read.

It would be used in performance and practice. It would have a practice mode where you can choose parts of the music and practice it.

There will be a way to edit notation directly. So, as an option, instead of scribbling notes and changes over the music, you will be able to add and remove notes. This way it is cleaner and easier for others to read.

So i did more research into other products like this already out there. There are one or two pretty good ones out there but, overall they interfaces are not very user friendly and none of them would work well for the piano because of their size. Also, they all use foot pedals. Pianos, being one of the most widely used instruments, need something better.

A couple of features I would add after doing some more research are:

• Simple, compact scanner for sheet music (to buy separately)
    Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to download music wirelessly and share with others
    Audio in/out to listen to and record your music
    A very easy to use library (the ones on existing products are usually a mess)

And for those who play piano, how often do you use both feet on the pedals?