Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Guest tbalaguer

Nike Skate Shoe

Guest Austin Brown

(I posted this on the other discussion but I think it was taken down)

Three things:

1- "skate shoes are easily dmamaged and can often get torn apart in a matter of weeks" Isn't that what makes them so comfortable and awesome looking?! jk

2- the aesthetic is really interesting, but I feel like it's not quite blocky enough to be a skate shoe - it looks a little bit more sleek and tapered than what I'm used to - but then again, I am not an afficionado by any means. I think the idea of a tough skin/shell is something that could really help boarders - good thinking.

3- you need to propose a solution. You stated the problem but there are a number of solutions:

people could skate less

they could skate less vigorously

skate shoes should be made more affordable for people to buy more often as old ones wear out

skate shoes should be made more durable and wear-resistant(this is your solution right)

Guest tbalaguer

I agree with most of what you said Austin. I posted these images about 5 minutes ago and I'm currently uploading more.... This explains why I do not yet have a full explanation of my final resolution. But thank you for all your input! Criticism is always welcome; in fact it is necessary to achieve successful designs.

Guest tbalaguer

Here are three different outsoles designed to accommodate the needs of skateboarders, Wake skateboarders and BMX riders. These outsoles are over-molded on to the interchangeable lowers (shown above). This is most beneficial to BMX riders since they need sufficient traction on pedals. In this case a pedal gap was the most logical solution to give BMX riders additional traction. As for the Skateboard and Wakeskateboard outsoles I focused on toe flexibility. Most tricks require a lot of toe flexibility, it was therefore important to take this aspect into consideration. The one thing I regret about these outsoles is the lack of texture: I should have an additional texture in between these necessary grooves.

post-26632-1231123235.jpg

Guest tbalaguer

Here is a larger view of my explanatory drawings showing how the upper and lower are fastened together.

post-26632-1231123852.jpg

Guest Austin Brown

I like the quality and style of your sketches a lot. Thanks also for taking the criticism like a champ - it makes it so much easier for everyone.

I also dig the idea of having the outsole snap/lock easily onto the shoe, but from an interaction standpoint, I think it may be good to include an actual physical connection (even if it is totally useless - think of it as a placebo) - like a snap/clip/buckle/lace/strap/elastic - or whatever so that the user feels like this won't slip off as easily as it slips on. I know that if I were doing crazy, risky stunts I would like to feel like the parts of my shoe were firmly locked together. I'd like to feel like I had control over the way my stuff was put together. Snowboarders like really tight bindings(right?) because it keeps them more in touch with their board. I assume that this notion applies to other board sports as well.

I also like the attention you paid to the outsoles and their overall shapes, but I think I may have noticed a problem:

I imagine that a BMXer might have a really hard time locating the shoe on the pedal while he is flying through the air bass-ackwards and upside-down (since the size and shape of the gap looks to be nearly the same as that of a pedal). Then, when he touches down he risks tweaking his ankle or slipping off the pedal because of a lack of surface contact. Just a thought...

I dunno about the other two, but I agree with your self-assessment of needing to make the soles a little more tactile or visually interesting. Maybe you could give some thought to how a foot bends from left to right as well as toe to heel as you have done.

Thanks for putting up that additional information. It really helps to see where you're coming from.

Guest Deysc

I am a bmxer and i agree with austin. This would just soften pedal feel and will lead to pedal-diggin-shin moments. Maybe make the shoes as thin as as pumas? For the outer sleeves you can give it a slightly thinner and more sticky gum. That way the outer sole is replaceable.

Tight sketches, they really communicate well.

I really like this idea, but Here is just a thought: The idea is replacing the sole. OK from a manufacturing standpoint you are going to have to create a replacement sole for each size. Manufacturing cost goes up, margins go down.

What if rather than replacing the entire sole, the wearer replaced only certain sections of the sole i.e. toe, heel, arch, that could fit a range of - or even most of the sizes, either in a kit, or separately. This way you (NIKE) only has to manufacture a couple versions. Cost goes down margins go up. As for the skater, if she tends to go through more toes, she only has to buy a toe. But some dude might trash the whole shoe regularly... well, buy the kit. An idea.

Guest azuro1125

I really like this idea, but Here is just a thought: The idea is replacing the sole. OK from a manufacturing standpoint you are going to have to create a replacement sole for each size. Manufacturing cost goes up, margins go down.

What if rather than replacing the entire sole, the wearer replaced only certain sections of the sole i.e. toe, heel, arch, that could fit a range of - or even most of the sizes, either in a kit, or separately. This way you (NIKE) only has to manufacture a couple versions. Cost goes down margins go up. As for the skater, if she tends to go through more toes, she only has to buy a toe. But some dude might trash the whole shoe regularly... well, buy the kit. An idea.

Replacing parts of the sole incrementaly sounds like a good approach. Way back in the 90's, I was at a triathalon where some guy was pitching a similar replacable innner-shoe idea to the crowd.His niche was more along the lines of replacing the inner shoe if they became wet leaving the outer shoe the same. Given that skaters like individuality as much as trashing their shoes, maybe you could pitch an adhesive outsole with an attached rand the could be swapped when needed. Offer it in a vareitey of colors,logos, etc. and you can change out soles as needed.

Guest DenniZ

I love you're idea! I'm a skateboarder myself and shoes don't last long... This is the order in which my shoe 'decomposes' (might help you in some places? but I think you have this covered already):

1. shoe laces, they wear out the fastest.

2. toepart, this form ollies and kickflips, its the outside of the foot

3. toepart bottom of the foot, this is due to repositioning the foot on the board

4. heelpart, this from heelflips, also the outside of the foot

5. entire side of the shoe, also the outside of the shoe

the inside side of the foot doens't wear out

I also want to say I really love your drawings/sketches! Clean!

But, I am worried about the tickness of the shoe. I have a feeling the sole is going to be very thick. Which has a positive and a negative effect. I hate it when the sole gets too thin, it hurts your feet when landing tricks (landing tricks wrong are even worse :)) but, with a thick sole I'll losing feeling and flexibility in the shoe.

The same for the sides, you'll lose some feeling and flexibility by adding layers.

It's hard to say judging from the sketches, it's just the feeling I get looking at them.

For the styling part: I love the looks of it. I also think the minimalistic sole fits the somewhat minimalistic outside. Love that! I don't know about the technical part of the sole, but I don't need textures on my sole ;) Grip is what I need.

The part going around the anke make it look very firm, robust. Looks like it will give me lots of support.

Just want to say it again: I love the looks of the shoe, and the idea is great too!

Size 13, you can send me a few pairs so I can test them for you. No problem! That's not too much asked, I'll do it for you for free ;)

For me this is totaly not gonna work and I probably won't buy it. As already metnioned, my whole shoe wears out, and there is nog too much time between the previously described order. So useles for me. But, that's for me. I do heelflip tricks more than kickflip tricks, so my heel wears out at the same pace as the nose. So I would have to replace the entire outer(side of the foot) side of the shoe including sole. And that, is actually the concept here ;)