Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LERsince1991

A2 Level Design - A Designers Workstation/desk

Guest LERsince1991

Well for my last year in college I am designing a desk thats aimed at other designers but also is suitable for other parts of the market.

I wanted a clean looking solution that has crisp, sharp edges with an overall minimal, sleek design.

I have tried to integrate a lot of a designers equipment but at the same time maintain flexibility and allow different users preferences (different users like different equipment so it was important to allow for this).

I have made the desk quite large to fit a laptop, monitor and large sheets of paper on at the same time.

There is an area on the desk where a monitor will stand on top of, and a keyboard and mouse will fit underneath.

There are 2 high end speakers integrated into the worktop.

There are 3 drawers in the worktop, The left or right will be for drawing equipment and will be organized and customizable a lot like utensil drawers in some new kitchens. Places to put different pens, pencils etc...

The middle drawer is for electronic equipment as it has a 'tunnel' at the back for cables to go through. This is big enough for small form pc's, mac minis etc.. as well as graphics pads, docks, multi-plug power adapters, hard drives etc..

The other (left or right) is big enough to store a lot of A3 paper in and a laptop.

The worktop is MDF which will be sealed, painted and coated in some sort of durable gloss finish, speaker grille and underneath equipment area is square perforated metal, The legs are metal and solid plastic.

I haven't decided exactly on the types of metal or plastics.

Also I am yet to come up with a name so if something comes to your minds please post it.

I am about to make this design in school although I have had to work in certain constraints as we get marks for making it, not sending parts to a manufacturer.

I have tried to show the idea from the pictures but if you have any questions or comments please ask.

I wont bore your with all the details of how it will be made, components I will use or how parts work unless someone asks.

I have looked into a lot of complicated ideas but in the end I believe this simple (compared to others) worked the best as a product, not a piece of bespoke furniture tailored to one person.

Cheers,

Luke.

post-24338-1233001603.png

post-24338-1233001637.png

post-24338-1233001665.png

post-24338-1233001811.jpg

Guest LERsince1991

Anyone care to comment?

I've actually just started building this last week, will post some photos of the dry assembly of the worktop at the end of this week.

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

I would have to say it's a desk with drawers. I don't really see how it's an improvment over an existing desk. I like the idea of the lift out marker drawer. As far as the integrated stereo goes, it seems a little redundant. I've got a stereo and if I was looking for a desk, I don't think integrated speakers would swing the deal.

Overall the aesthetic is nice. My only criticism would be to make the speaker surface (above the legs) white and allow the speaker hole patern to define the visual integration with the legs.

Sorry if this seems a little harsh, it's just an opinion. My desk and drafting table (and I guess stereo) seem to work just fine. I personnally am not a big fan of the designer workstation project. I remember having to do it in college (I should try to find that project and post it up for fun).

newt

Guest Skint

I think the word that will be used most to describe this desk is..... Sharp ! ( And it isnt a compliment ). Reduce all the dangerous edges and corners for starters !

Guest SamHolmes

i just wanted to point out that the table top may be two thick for most clamp style desk lamps and monitor arms unless it is thinner in the back. neat aesthetics though. looks heavy. some more camera angles would be nice.

Guest superbad

This is actually a pretty marketable product. The built-in speakers are a bit gimmicky, but that's not always a bad thing. It gets one more thing off the desk, as does integrating an iPod dock. And you don't want "high end" speakers, you wouldn't be able to command a premium for them, and the placement is so sub-optimal that the speaker quality won't matter much. It's enough just to have decent quality speakers in there.

I'd chamfer/radius that leading edge so it doesn't cut off your circulation when you lean your forearms against it. And find a way to tuck that wire management box up into the top a bit so it's not so visible from the side. What part of the legs is plastic? They should be all metal. And in your rendering you need to allow a gap between the drawer fronts- 3mm is about the smallest you can get away with in production. Also, if you have three drawers in there, you need a vertical fixed piece between them to mount the tracks. You may have done that, but I can't tell from the rendering.

I would also try a top color that isn't white. On the whole though, this is good. Priced right you could sell quite a few of these.

Guest LERsince1991
This is actually a pretty marketable product. The built-in speakers are a bit gimmicky, but that's not always a bad thing. It gets one more thing off the desk, as does integrating an iPod dock. And you don't want "high end" speakers, you wouldn't be able to command a premium for them, and the placement is so sub-optimal that the speaker quality won't matter much. It's enough just to have decent quality speakers in there.

Snip...

I would also try a top color that isn't white. On the whole though, this is good. Priced right you could sell quite a few of these.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I have taken them into consideration :D

I have 'pushed' the back under-platform into the worktop and it seems to fit really nicely and makes it look a lot thinner. The extra cuts in the wood howerever along with all the measurments make it a considerable amount harder to make, especially in the time scale allowed.

I'm going to see if it will be possible to make the change at this stage (I've just finished cutting all the wood and is ready for dry assembly).

I have attached a render with the new under-platform change and some previous versions with different colour worktops.

I will curve the front of the desk really slightly to take away the pressure and add comfort.

Also the comment about the speakers is true, I will not get my money back from selling and I'm impressed with the PC speakers I have so I will be fitting them into it. Plenty of quality and volume at about £25

To help me to allocate a budget and stick to it what sort of price do you thing would be suitable for my product?

I'm looking to produce some more once the prototype is done, out of school time and with my own funds.

post-24338-1233350989.jpg

post-24338-1233351015.jpg

post-24338-1233351069.jpg

Guest superbad
To help me to allocate a budget and stick to it what sort of price do you thing would be suitable for my product?

I'm looking to produce some more once the prototype is done, out of school time and with my own funds.

Have a look here, this is the assortment you'd be competing with in the US:

http://www.designpublic.com/shop/workspace/desks

I'm going into production with a desk in a couple months. I think yours would do well in the $600-1000 range if the quality is good. Maybe a bit more since you've got the dock and speakers. You'll never be able to hit that price if you're making them in a workshop yourself though. You'd probably have to sell them for 2-3 times that, which is a much tougher proposition. With a production run of 50-100 produced in the US (probably UK too) you ought to be able to get it under $1k retail, maybe. Building drawers would be the tough part because it's labor intensive. You've got a few other complicated details that might have to be simplified if you were serious about production.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

It looks great, I like the drawers and the laptop stand. But it looks a bit high and uncomfortable, but not sure... The edges are way too sharp, I can see myself getting a bunch of cuts with that...

The integrated speakers need to go... Too me it makes things seem cheap and wasteful, and they're in a very bad location for quality, the sound will be going right past you...

Guest JOYRIDE

I dont mind the design much, so kudos to you on maintaining an appealing minimalist design. I would however like to see a dimensional so that I can get a better idea of the ergonomic situation.

My biggest problem is the speakers. I have been seeing it too many times lately. People think that by placing a speaker in a spot, it will produce good sound. I will agree with Auto on the location. You can however get some good drivers that play well off-axis. What size/brand were you thinking of using? The drivers themselves can really add to cost, so be careful. Also, Im assuming it will need to be a small driver (looks like a 3.5"?), so porting will be necessary. If you want high end, I would suggest looking at Seas, Morel, or Scan speak drivers.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

If you really want to have speakers in that location, then you can point them up and towards the middle. So then at least the sound will be aimed at you.

Guest JOYRIDE

Im not too sure if aiming them at you will really solve much. Sure, they will be on axis so the high frequencies will be slightly more direct. But you will still have other installation problems that wont be perfect (time alignment, not a constrained listening location, etc.). I think finding a good off axis driver will work better for you. Aiming them will look a little funny, as well as add complications to the manufacturing.

Guest 47522

I quite like it. It appears chunky and sturdy, unlike the desk I'm using at the moment! :ermm:

The built in speakers I think, are quite nifty, only last week I bought a speaker and sub setup, kinda wish I hadn't as now I have enough cabling to wire a small jet.

With some work on relocating the speakers, possibly aiming high in terms of audio quality, an attractive sexy-slick colour scheme you'll have yourself a nice designer, designer desk! :)

Hope it goes well, I look forward to watching it progress!

Regards

Guest AutomóvilVerde

You could put the speakers next to the monitor stand, or built into it. It wouldn't be perfect, but lot better than the current location.